RA2:AR FAQ

Guest AdrwIvrsn

You can't really talk about how fun AR is or how balanced it will be until you actually play it. If the Allied Apocalypse Tank doesn't have backup with it then that's tough. Usually the player would have destroyed the flak track before it even got within range of Yuri being effective. If you think mind control is going to be an instant pointlolclickcontrol thing, you are mistaken. If you have two tanks, or even two infantry vs one Yuri, Yuri is going to be at a disadvantage.

A misplaced canonical error? You don't think that Boris was somewhere in RA2 and that he just magically appeared in YR? We have stated many times that AR takes place at the tail end of RA2, when the Soviets get their new technology such as battle bunkers and siege choppers, but they still have Yuri around.

Yuri also wasn't a hero unit in RA2. Why? You could build more than one of him. You could only ever build one Tanya in RA2. Yuri Prime was the other Hero unit in RA2, but he required so much hassle to get (playing as soviets, build an allied spy and send him into a soviet battle lab) that it wasn't even worth it in the end.

Well, I see what you mean a little bit.

I also imagined a "mental endurance" mode is entered when Yuri mind controls someone. There would be a tug-of-war bar for Yuri and the mind controlee. By some function like tapping on a keyboard key or some other way, they fight to reach their end of the bar. If Yuri wins, well... he wins. But if the mind controlled person wins, he is free and Yuri is paralyzed momentarily due to a heavy headache. This simulates having strong minded people on your team who can resist mind control, like Tanya.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

Guest Kakashi
I also imagined a "mental endurance" mode is entered when Yuri mind controls someone. There would be a tug-of-war bar for Yuri and the mind controlee. By some function like tapping on a keyboard key or some other way, they fight to reach their end of the bar. If Yuri wins, well... he wins. But if the mind controlled person wins, he is free and Yuri is paralyzed momentarily due to a heavy headache.

This won't work well for an FPS game (heck, these kind of powerstruggles never work well for any game that is not an nintendo arcarde minigame). It forces you to concentrate solely on tapping that key and make it really hard on you to have a look out for your surrondings or even move at all. Both units, Yuri and the captured player/tank would be prone to enemy soldiers (and don't tell me to make them invincible till the procedure is done) for an easy headshot/tank shelling. It would make Yuri practically useless for anything but one on one situations and if the APB range alternations are any indicator Yuri will already have a hard time getting close enough to start mind-controlling.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Well, I figured the bar would be at the lower part of the screen so you can still see what's going on.

Also, I said that there should be some other ways than tapping, since I put into consideration what you said before posting but didn't think of an alternative.

The reason I am also concerned with Yuri and stolen vehicals is that empty tanks are sometimes out of nowhere and a lone wandering person just happens to come across it. Since you don't usually find an empty Mammoth tank in APB in a commonly passed spot but left to the side of the map by some idiot, I figured the same might happen on AR.

I'm also wondering about Yuri's anti-infantry attack and its radius, and how that would affect infantry trying to hunt him down.

Actually, if I remember right you could train multiple Tanyas due to the fact that SEALs were SP only until YR.

Play RA2 on the latest patch (1.06).

Guest Stormweaver

Ah, did they change that right before YR? Can't remember, been too long since I played RA2 MP.

I was playing about on it a while back, and couldn't be asked re-installing YR so played a few games on MP.

It's TFD, so i dunno what patch it is, but the AI was sending Nighthawks full of tanyas at me, so it was defo not a unique unit.

*shivers*

So...many...tanyas...

But for AR, we have seals, so we should be alright for now :D

Guest EVA-251

Not so fast, OWA.

From 1.006 Patch Notes

GENERAL CHANGES 
Fixes:
-  Chrono IFV no longer loses its target when selecting a target further than 
  his firing range. Now it moves within attack range and fires without losing 
  focus at any moment.
-  Modified official maps are not transferred over Internet games. 
-  If a player disconnects 3 times in one game for durations more than 25 
  seconds each, the game will finish and be awarded to the non-
  disconnector at the 3rd time.  
-  If walls or other buildings block the Soviet Barracks exit, no unit is built 
  even if the user has a Cloning Vat. The cost is refunded to the player. 
-  No other infantry units other than those with explosives can blow up 
  buildings when joining to a Tanya command waypoint.

From 1.006 ra2.mix, local.mix, rules.ini

[TANY]
UIName=Name:TANYA
Name=Tanya
Category=Soldier
Prerequisite=GAPILE,GATECH
Primary=DoublePistols
Secondary=Sapper
NavalTargeting=4
LeadershipRating=8
C4=yes
Assaulter=no; I clear out UC buildings
CrushSound=InfantrySquish
Crushable=yes
TiberiumProof=yes
Strength=125
Armor=flak
TechLevel=9
Pip=red
Sight=8
Speed=5
Owner=British,French,Germans,Americans,Alliance
AllowedToStartInMultiplayer=no
Cost=1000
Soylent=1000;1500
Points=50
IsSelectableCombatant=yes
VoiceSelect=TanyaSelect
VoiceMove=TanyaMove
VoiceAttack=TanyaAttackCommand
VoiceFeedback=
VoiceSpecialAttack=TanyaAttackCommand
DieSound=TanyaDie
CreateSound=TanyaCreated
EnterWaterSound=TanyaEntersWater
LeaveWaterSound=TanyaLeavesWater
Locomotor={4A582744-9839-11d1-B709-00A024DDAFD1}
PhysicalSize=1
SpeedType=Amphibious
MovementZone=AmphibiousDestroyer; I am the only one with this zone, because it is now tied with being an infantry (part of seal stuck on tree bug)
ThreatPosed=25; This value MUST be 0 for all building addons
SpecialThreatValue=1
ImmuneToVeins=yes
VeteranAbilities=STRONGER,FIREPOWER,ROF,SIGHT,SCATTER
EliteAbilities=SELF_HEAL,STRONGER,FIREPOWER,ROF
Size=1
;DetectDisguise=yes
ElitePrimary=DoublePistolsE
IFVMode=4

There is no BuildLimit = statement.

In RA2, the heroes were Tanya and Yuri. Both had no build limits, Tanya costing 1000, Yuri costing 1200. Tanya was NOT immune to mind control.

If Yuri and Boris were in AR...well...it would not be following Yuri's Revenge or RA2, and would change the balance that YR intended.

In RA2, Tanya was a clone of a Navy SEAL. Her stats were identical in regards to Strength, Armor type, speed, cost, damage, range, warhead, projectile type, with the only differences being cosmetic, hence why the SEAL was never buildable.

In YR, Tanya was quite a bit superior to the Navy SEAL (40% more armor, 20% more speed, twice the firing speed, same warhead but C4'd tanks, immune to mind control, uncrushable, self-healing). The SEAL was added in because a quality gap existed in Allied infantry.

Boris already has the best range of any infantry excluding the Allied Sniper, better than Tanya or a Navy SEAL. Yuri is overkill for the Soviet infantry side, as Boris could single-handedly fight several Navy SEALs and win.

Make a mod for YR. Give the Yuri Clone to the Soviets, and you will see why Yuri is too much for the Soviets.

Bah, I could've sworn that Tanya was limited after patching RA2. Ah well, I guess you can't always be right.

Other than the Yuri unit being in RA2 as a reason for including him, the other reason is basically for a proof of concept. If we can do a Yuri unit on this engine, then we'll see what happens with the rest of his faction.

Guest Stormweaver
TiberiumProof=yes

ImmuneToVeins=yes

...I know why it's there, but that's still lol.

What's going to stop some n00b buying a tanya, and then camping for the whole game, instead of some good players using her?

Guest player1

My idea for Yuri goes like this, Yuri has a limited range indicated by a ring only shown to the player just to make it easy to compute range. The unit Yuri wants to take, the player clicks and the target then begins to go under mind control. A bar appears in the bottom center of the screen and it takes roughly 5 to 10 seconds to get mind controlled. ( change it according to balance issues ) Once under mind control, the player inside is either stuck till death and/or killed and sent back to base.

To prevent possible problems, the mind controlled player should be unable to type or do anything radio command functions as long as he's mind controlled. That or make it like the spy and change you only able to talk to the team your on. Also once mind controlled, the vehicle/player is treated as a second weapon.

Example.

Weapon 1: Mind Control.

Weapon 2: Only activated once control has been taken of a unit. This puts you in control of the unit and you can do as you like.

This makes Yuri, less OP and more prone to fire if he wants to defend himself.

Just my suggestion anyhow.

Guest ivan55599

can Yuri capture tanks? if can, can infantry in tank enter out, and then "empty ghost tank" attack his driver, or infantry cannot get out, but not also die when tank die? and when tank die will die driver also?

Guest Stormweaver

can Yuri capture tanks? if can, can infantry in tank enter out, and then "empty ghost tank" attack his driver, or infantry cannot get out, but not also die when tank die? and when tank die will die driver also?

If they go with the bot-gun, it'd probably just force the driver to respawn in thier base like with infantry, but perhaps with the same char class as they had before, stop it from being epically OP.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

misplaced canonical error

Well, another way I think Yuri should be dealt with his have some maps with him as the hero unit, and some with Boris. Although the Allies' campaign is the canonical one, there would likely still be the power struggle between Yuri, Vladimir, and Romanov. So, to have the game at the tail end of the war would still exclude Yuri. I also think that, because Boris is highly patriotic, he would have distaste for Yuri and would not fight beside him.

However, to include Yuri you can still make some of the maps of the game take place in the middle of the war, even with the new technologies. Just think of it like the "debate" on whether the RA1 Allies knew how to make planes or not, when it was obvious the allies had planes, you just don't see them in-game. After all, when you go back in time in the Soviet campaign of YR, you see battle fortresses at Einstein’s laboratory, showing they excised DURING the events of RA2

So to sum up what I am saying, make Boris the hero of some maps and Yuri on others, and perhaps to avoid the Apoc reclaimation situation, have Yuri on low-tech maps (that might also solve the above technology problem in a different way) so the best he can re-steal from someone is the Rhino heavy tank.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

If Yuri mind control made players unable to control their own characters they would just leave the game. Where's the fun in just sitting idly at your keyboard waiting for your mind controlled character to die? Hence we will never implement anything that would result in that.

Guest player1

If Yuri mind control made players unable to control their own characters they would just leave the game. Where's the fun in just sitting idly at your keyboard waiting for your mind controlled character to die? Hence we will never implement anything that would result in that.

Which is why I suggested either kill or move the player to base.

Guest Kakashi

Killing the player is probably the best choice though. Only thing is that the mind control needs some sort of cooldown or something along these lines so one Yuri can't just give his team a new set of vehicles by controlling one enemy after another.

Guest BaneOfSorrows

So the general consensus is that mind-controlling players won't be feasible unless they have something useful to do while mind-controlled? Well...anyone have any creative ideas?

On a completely random and off-topic note, was there a definitive statement about cell-shading?

I like my cells shaded. :D

On a completely random and off-topic note, was there a definitive statement about cell-shading?

And I like my cell shading to be optional as I'd prefer the realistic look

I want to see Ra2 up close, how it would look if it really happened not even more cartoon like when It's already got enough, and if other people do want it that way then I want them to be able to. Thats why I think it should be optional if possible.

Edited by ChAoS

So the general consensus is that mind-controlling players won't be feasible unless they have something useful to do while mind-controlled? Well...anyone have any creative ideas?

And I like my cell shading to be optional as I'd prefer the realistic look

I want to see Ra2 up close, how it would look if it really happened not even more cartoon like when It's already got enough, and if other people do want it that way then I want them to be able to. Thats why I think it should be optional if possible.

Kind of a combination of the both.

Guest Stormweaver

Read the topic. Bot-gun ftw

It should have an epic cool-down though, but to stop it being 'wtf i keep missing' maybe a wide 'spray' on the 'gun' would be needed. Dunno...

I'm just looking forward to the release, or the next wave of tester positions *hinthint*

Guest BaneOfSorrows

-A little idea for Yuri. He mind controls enemy (enemy player dies, npc created). NPC follows Yuri. Yiri gets into safety and player manualy switches from Yuri to this unit. Thus you can manualy control [any character] playing for Soviets.

This seems to be the best idea so far, imo. With this idea, the player who was mind controlled still gets to play, while the yuri still gets the benefit of whatever character he controlled. But is it even possible with the engine? :D

Guest Stormweaver

This seems to be the best idea so far, imo. With this idea, the player who was mind controlled still gets to play, while the yuri still gets the benefit of whatever character he controlled. But is it even possible with the engine? :D

I can't see why not...renegay had lots of bots in it, who could move/shoot whatever, spawn wherever, follow whatever. With the masterminds behind the new programming, I can't see what can't be done. Remember, the APB team managed to get FIXED WING AIRCRAFT working - if that can be done, anything can.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Will Boris still have a LOLOMGWTFIMAKILLURAPOCTANKSIN5SECONDS ak-47? :D

Also to go along with that, will Boris have a special anti-tank game mechanic, like shooting a vehicle's weak points (that only appear to him)? Also, is he using an AK-47, or an RPK? Because artwork I have seen of him shows the RPK's characterisic square buttstock, but with the barrel length of an AK-47, and a light machine gun seems to make more sense of an anti-vehicle weapon than the AK-47.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

Also to go along with that, will Boris have a special anti-tank game mechanic, like shooting a vehicle's weak points (that only appear to him)? Also, is he using an AK-47, or an RPK? Because artwork I have seen of him shows the RPK's characterisic square buttstock, but with the barrel length of an AK-47, and a light machine gun seems to make more sense of an anti-vehicle weapon than the AK-47.

Boris uses an AKM. He was fairly lethal against tanks but since he isn't going to be in AR for a while, we haven't begun to plan for him.

He does need to be pretty powerful if there is only one of him on the field at once.