RA2:AR FAQ

The problem with that is the fact that the mind-controlled person then has absolutely nothing to do while he sits around and watches his unit get moved around by someone else.

Another idea, albeit a rather sucky one due to THers, would be to simply convert the mind-controlled player's team until they're killed again. Basically, player X is a Yuri and player Y is an allied unit. X mind-controls Y, so now Y is a soviet player until Y is killed by the allies OR until X dies, thus converting Y back to an allied player.

And how do you ensure that the mind controlled player will shoot his previous teammates instead of just doing nothing and waiting for his mates to free him up?

Guest Foley

Will the desolator make units melt or turn into visceroids? Altho visceroids wouldn't make sense.

And how will the prism tank work? Will it's bolt scatter all over, target other enemy structures and units, bounce between targets, or simply strike it's target?

Also, will there be crono legionares? And if so, how will they work?

And finally, is the game currently partially playable, a demo would help keep us happy until the game comes out

Edited by Foley

Guest mrackz

And finally, is the game currently partially playable, a demo would help keep us happy until the game comes out

Yeah same Question for the APB Chrono Tank

Guest Stormweaver

Question: do people ever read the thread title? or blogs?

but more seriously, will there be a 'generic' IFV turret for units that shouldn't have access to the IFV like in RA2, or like with the crazy ivan IFV are all the turrets going to be separately modeled?

Guest Foley

In case anyone forgot about my questions...

Will the desolator make units melt or turn into visceroids? Altho visceroids wouldn't make sense.

And how will the prism tank work? Will it's bolt scatter all over, target other enemy structures and units, bounce between targets, or simply strike it's target?

Guest AdrwIvrsn

No-one forgot your questions, it's just that the FAQ isn't a hotline. Be patient and only repeat your questions if they are serious enough and someone from AR's staff hadn't answered it in their answer post.

Anyways, even though this is still to far in the future for you to be concerned with right now, but how do you decide what stats to give to the units? I'm just wondering how you handle balance when you mod a game with completely new units.

Viceroids are from a differant C&C universe, so no. We may be able to do some melting though.

We've figured out how the prism tank will work. It will fire then spawn an invisible turret which spins 360 degrees firing randomly top get the refraction effect.

There will be Chrono Legionnaires, but we haven't really decided how they will chronoshift yet. We have got the eraser gun working though.

The game isn't playable due to the fact that there are no buildings. We aren't going to release a demo because none of us would be satisfied with it and it'd be a waste of time to do so. Demos are typically singleplayer and this is not a singleplayer game.

This isn't the APB FAQ.

Question:

Will the first post be updated, and a new thread started?

Soon enough.

Question: do people ever read the thread title? or blogs?

but more seriously, will there be a 'generic' IFV turret for units that shouldn't have access to the IFV like in RA2, or like with the crazy ivan IFV are all the turrets going to be separately modeled?

I hope so.

Yes IFV turrets will have separate models.

Anyways, even though this is still to far in the future for you to be concerned with right now, but how do you decide what stats to give to the units? I'm just wondering how you handle balance when you mod a game with completely new units.

We take the values from RA2 and generally scale them into w3d. The health and armour values for vehicles and infantry should be taken from RA2. danpaul88 likes to mix his own ideas into the fray as well though, so the armour types used in AR are differant to those used in RA2. This is needed for the game to be balanced properly. The legendary Renegade blamo skin is still in there though :D

Guest Foley

Viceroids are from a differant C&C universe, so no. We may be able to do some melting though.

We've figured out how the prism tank will work. It will fire then spawn an invisible turret which spins 360 degrees firing randomly top get the refraction effect.

There will be Chrono Legionnaires, but we haven't really decided how they will chronoshift yet. We have got the eraser gun working though.

Yay! :D Can't wait for the first release!

Guest Foley

We take the values from RA2 and generally scale them into w3d. The health and armour values for vehicles and infantry should be taken from RA2. danpaul88 likes to mix his own ideas into the fray as well though, so the armour types used in AR are differant to those used in RA2. This is needed for the game to be balanced properly. The legendary Renegade blamo skin is still in there though :D

Blamo? lol, I don't play Renegade that much.

Guest Stormweaver

can people get out of tanks when they're "fired" at gun, or freezed?

Tbh, i'd think it nice for it to be counted as a 'kill' so i hope not.

Is there going to be any visual reference to how long a unit has before death [ninja]When facing chrono legionnaires?[/edit]?

Edited by Stormweaver

can people get out of tanks when they're "fired" at gun, or freezed?

Not sure yet.

Tbh, i'd think it nice for it to be counted as a 'kill' so i hope not.

Is there going to be any visual reference to how long a unit has before death [ninja]When facing chrono legionnaires?[/edit]?

Maybe a clock icon.

isn't there also a blamo hitter type?

Yes there is!

Guest Foley

In RA2, as soon as the eraser round hits the target, the target is basically done for.

I think that it should be like if the tank was attacked by an EMP, the driver should be trapped until him and the tank are erased from time.

Also, when the erased target is fully erased, will enemy side get the money from the erased unit back? It would make sense because if the unit never existed, the credits would never have been spent.

Guest tfkillzone

how is the erasing prevented? would it be that the legionnaire cannot move while erasing, but if he does, it is halted? that's just like in ra2.....that way a single legionnaire wouldn't just be uber-pwnage on everything he encounters.....

Guest GummiBear

how is the erasing prevented? would it be that the legionnaire cannot move while erasing, but if he does, it is halted? that's just like in ra2.....that way a single legionnaire wouldn't just be uber-pwnage on everything he encounters.....

well pretty much every unit stand still while firing their weapons in RA2 (in most RTS's in fact), so imo it is fine you move, but ofc if you move too far from the target for the gun to normally reach it would cancel the erasing, or if he dies. seriously if he HAVE to stand still he is meat for anyone the fact that he have to have the gun "shooting" at his target for a quite long time (depending on the the target) would make it impossible to kill anyone with a half-competent soviet team

Edited by GummiBear

Guest Stormweaver

well, as long as the gun in short ranged, it should be fine. I mean, hopefully his walk speed will be terrible (after all, he's used to teleporting) and using the gun would stop him from teleporting. after that, just make it so if the interruption is brief enough, he can actually stop firing (or miss) for a fraction of a second.

Methinks flak traks are going to rape chrono whores.

Guest GummiBear

then again flak tracks are probably some of the fastest units to erase

In RA2, as soon as the eraser round hits the target, the target is basically done for.

I think that it should be like if the tank was attacked by an EMP, the driver should be trapped until him and the tank are erased from time.

Also, when the erased target is fully erased, will enemy side get the money from the erased unit back? It would make sense because if the unit never existed, the credits would never have been spent.

The enemy will not regain the credits. The unit did exist in the past, but has been erased from the present and future.

Erasing is prevented if the Legionnaire stops targeting the enemy or stops firing. He can move around, but he'll need a good aim trained onto his victim.

well, as long as the gun in short ranged, it should be fine. I mean, hopefully his walk speed will be terrible (after all, he's used to teleporting) and using the gun would stop him from teleporting. after that, just make it so if the interruption is brief enough, he can actually stop firing (or miss) for a fraction of a second.

If flak tracks can outmanouver a CLeg then that is considered a victory. Nobody likes being chronofragged (yes I just made up a new term).

Guest Foley

lol, 'cronofragged'.

I hope there won't be any snipers, and if there are I hope that they are inaccurate.

I heard that APB has a sniper problem, in which allied snipers trap soviet troops inside of their own base and just stay there until everone disconnects.

Guest tfkillzone

actually i don't think they're gonna be able to avoid snipers considering Britain's special unit is the sniper. and if you don't give the soviets one it will be like APB without any effective counter to the allied sniper.....oh wait, that's how it is right now. nvrmnd.

Guest Glaed
lol, 'cronofragged'.

I hope there won't be any snipers, and if there are I hope that they are inaccurate.

I heard that APB has a sniper problem, in which allied snipers trap soviet troops inside of their own base and just stay there until everone disconnects.

Considering that Allies only have a 1 in 5 chance of getting snipers at all, and if they do have snipers they don't have Grand Cannons, Tank Destroyers, Paratroops, or Black Eagles, I think it will be balanced.

Guest Occult13

I think this is AR, not APB. And actually, if Allies get Britain Faction, all Soviets have to do is use their counter-unit and fry 'em. Try to stop Tesla Tanks with Snipers :D

Soviets don't need a sniper.

We did think about using Yuri's Virus trooper as a soviet counter, but then took a step back and realised that the soviets have a lot of kickass units to counter snipers.