RA2:AR FAQ

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Is your sniper going to be similar to the uber-ranged RA sniper, or will he be medium ranged, but more powerful?

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

Guest ivan55599

We did think about using Yuri's Virus trooper as a soviet counter, but then took a step back and realised that the soviets have a lot of kickass units to counter snipers.

O that would have been interesting, Soviet army mixed by Yuri units.

siege chopper vs snipa

does ivan's bombs harm teammates, when planted nearby, or on it?

Edited by ivan55599

Guest Stormweaver

remember - allied snipers don't have the huge advantages they have in APB. Unless is a badly designed infantry map (and i don't think AR is porting camos across), soviets will normally have plenty of counter units. Hell, for vechs they have the terror drone and flak trak, which can outrun almost anything, and the stealthyness of Crazy ivan, the rangedness of the flaktrooper and the helmet-wearing Tesla trooper.

So, i'm thinking of snipers as being counter units to terrorists and desolators :v

Guest Kakashi

The enemy will not regain the credits. The unit did exist in the past, but has been erased from the present and future.

Wasn't the term "erased from time"? Technically that would pretty much mean that they never existed. I don't support the idea of regaining credits, if we were to follow that transcript you'd have to regain all units that the erased unit destroyed as well, but I'm just saying. It's like in them bad science fiction movies, the guy is being erased, noone remembers him but all the influence he made till the point of his disappearance stay.

As for being to bail out of your vehicle, that could be a good and a bad idea, if you were able to get out you could kill easily kill that slow CLeg and be done with it or the CLeg could erase you and drive away in a free Apoc... Well, theoretically speaking when you are inside the tank while it's being CLegged you should also be trapped inside the eraser field.

Is your sniper going to be similar to the uber-ranged RA sniper, or will he be medium ranged, but more powerful?

He'll certainly have a lot of range, but his damage will be in proportion to his range.

Headshots will net you an instant kill, but body shots will do less damage.

Also remember that the sniper will have to operate the bolt on the rifle to eject the used casing, which consumes time between shots.

I can't remember if the sniper did much damage to the terror drone, but I can imagine that would be quite a nice counter.

It didn't do any damage to the Terror Drone if I remember rightly, but it could be a nice feature to add in as a counter.

O that would have been interesting, Soviet army mixed by Yuri units.

siege chopper vs snipa

does ivan's bombs harm teammates, when planted nearby, or on it?

We haven't decided if Ivan's bombs will harm team mates yet. However, eventually you will be able to mind control cows and strap dynamite to them. Which will rock.

Indeed, can we load flak trax full of Ivan Bombs like RA2? :D

Sure, why not. :)

Wasn't the term "erased from time"? Technically that would pretty much mean that they never existed. I don't support the idea of regaining credits, if we were to follow that transcript you'd have to regain all units that the erased unit destroyed as well, but I'm just saying. It's like in them bad science fiction movies, the guy is being erased, noone remembers him but all the influence he made till the point of his disappearance stay.

As for being to bail out of your vehicle, that could be a good and a bad idea, if you were able to get out you could kill easily kill that slow CLeg and be done with it or the CLeg could erase you and drive away in a free Apoc... Well, theoretically speaking when you are inside the tank while it's being CLegged you should also be trapped inside the eraser field.

The CLeg should trap infantry inside their vehicles since it is acknoledged that the driver of the vehicle is also being erased.

Guest GummiBear

It didn't do any damage to the Terror Drone if I remember rightly, but it could be a nice feature to add in as a counter.

that would make no sense the terror drone is a % damn robot how the hell you gonna do much damage to those with a sniper??? that makes no sense at all

that would make no sense the terror drone is a % damn robot how the hell you gonna do much damage to those with a sniper??? that makes no sense at all

Well I was trying to say that the terror drone would be a good counter to the sniper, guess I didn't' say that quite right.

Guest Kakashi

That would depend on the armor the terror drone holds, as well as the weapon the sniper used. Stats and rules.ini aside, the terror drone wasn't exactly armored so I'll assume some regular steel plating, something between .5 and 1 mm since the drone needs to be rather light if it's supposed to be fast an nimble enough to leap onto tanks. Depending on the calibre of the rifle it's no problem to penetrate that and damage the internals. Of course, for balancing reasons the drone should be able to take a few shots, but I wouldn't cross out the possibilty to implement that. Edited by Kakashi

Guest AdrwIvrsn

I'd imagine using the sniper to kill the drone could be done by shooting a weakpoint somewhere on it. This is similar to an idea I had with Boris, in which instead of causing damage by shooting the whole vehicle, there are certain weakpoints that are highlighted on-screen that Boris can shoot, causing damage just like he did in RA2.

So my FAQ question is, what do you think of the above idea?

Edit: Another question: Do you still have the sandbag problem? If not, will people still be able to stand on it?

I think if the sandbag problem was fixed, then several GIs make a sandbag staircase, and all but the top GI undeploys, the top GI will still float in the air. Is this possible on the engine and can you prevent it?

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

Guest Kakashi

If I may input on this, a weakspot on a fast unit with the size between a large dog and a human, I imagine that'd be kinda hard to hit.

The terror drone is built rather skimpy for a soviet design, only the most neccesary things. With that there is a lot that could break from a few bullets. Battery, servo engines, the electronics and the "weapon" (which I guess is some sort of low-energy laser or welder or some sort of electrical knife to cut metal using heat). If you consider that the drone has backups for servos and the processing core, and maybe a backup battery you could say that the drone would survive a few single shots from weapons like snipers, but would be torn to shreds with automatic weapons like the GIs deploy gun (the latter being pretty much how it was in RA2).

I'd say if the drone can survive five to seven shots that'd already be pretty good. A sniper would actually have to hit that often in a row, with the long timespan between shots and the high speed of a terror drone that'd give the drone enough time to close in on them even if the sniper has a long range. Using cover could actually do the rest.

What Kakashi has said justifies my arguement.

That would depend on the armor the terror drone holds, as well as the weapon the sniper used. Stats and rules.ini aside, the terror drone wasn't exactly armored so I'll assume some regular steel plating, something between .5 and 1 mm since the drone needs to be rather light if it's supposed to be fast an nimble enough to leap onto tanks. Depending on the calibre of the rifle it's no problem to penetrate that and damage the internals. Of course, for balancing reasons the drone should be able to take a few shots, but I wouldn't cross out the possibilty to implement that.

I'd imagine using the sniper to kill the drone could be done by shooting a weakpoint somewhere on it. This is similar to an idea I had with Boris, in which instead of causing damage by shooting the whole vehicle, there are certain weakpoints that are highlighted on-screen that Boris can shoot, causing damage just like he did in RA2.

So my FAQ question is, what do you think of the above idea?

Edit: Another question: Do you still have the sandbag problem? If not, will people still be able to stand on it?

I think if the sandbag problem was fixed, then several GIs make a sandbag staircase, and all but the top GI undeploys, the top GI will still float in the air. Is this possible on the engine and can you prevent it?

Weakpoints on the terror drone would be an absolute bugger to hit, although it can be done.

The sandbag problem can be fixed and what you describe can be prevented.

Guest Occult13

Could it be possible to model a map for AR (building-less), leaving the building part for you, so we can have more maps for the release?

Of course, all of this would be done under some quality standards. :D

Could it be possible to model a map for AR (building-less), leaving the building part for you, so we can have more maps for the release?

Of course, all of this would be done under some quality standards. :D

I guess so, but we will be releasing a building pack to the community when it becomes available.

Guest Stormweaver

in regards to people's opinions to the terror drone vs sniper arguement:

if something has epically thin armour plating, how exactly would the terror drone be able to tear a small hole in a tank, then still force it'self in? I'd image that the drone, at least it's underside, would have to actually be rather heavily plated to stop it tearing itself to pieces trying to kill a tank.

I'd image the serious weakness it has is less the armour, but instead the rather complicated structure that deals with it's movement, as (if anyone here ever watches robot wars) an inpact to the system would be doing the major damage, not the ability for a round to actually penetrate the outer shell.

Guest Kakashi

I believe there were a few scenes in the FMVs showing a terror drone taking apart a tank, however I don't recall seeing the drone actually "tearing it apart", as in pulling parts out of the tank in order to damage it. As I mentioned before, my guess is that it uses some sort of tool that cuts open the hull of the tank and damages the internals, which would be a lot less potentially harmful to the drone itself.

In robot wars most of the robots only have very simple electronics and the frames are a lot bigger than the machine would actually need to be. Considering the terror drone is built to minimize size awhile aiming for the best possible combat performance, the rather complicated way of movement and the neccesarity to somehow fuel the previously mentioned weapon the possibilty of hitting a critical part of the drone would probably be higher than on some robots that have mostly air underneath their chassis. Of course there should be a chance that the systems are being missed, and as I said there would probably be backup systems in the robot, but I don't think that terror drones would be immune to sniper bullets.

Also, just to clarify (it's been some time since I saw the crappy localisation of that show, and I think they don't even broadcast it here anymore): They used projectile weapons in Robot wars? Last time I watched it was clubs and morning stars o_0...

Edited by Kakashi

Guest Stormweaver

I believe there were a few scenes in the FMVs showing a terror drone taking apart a tank, however I don't recall seeing the drone actually "tearing it apart", as in pulling parts out of the tank in order to damage it. As I mentioned before, my guess is that it uses some sort of tool that cuts open the hull of the tank and damages the internals, which would be a lot less potentially harmful to the drone itself.

In robot wars most of the robots only have very simple electronics and the frames are a lot bigger than the machine would actually need to be. Considering the terror drone is built to minimize size awhile aiming for the best possible combat performance, the rather complicated way of movement and the neccesarity to somehow fuel the previously mentioned weapon the possibilty of hitting a critical part of the drone would probably be higher than on some robots that have mostly air underneath their chassis. Of course there should be a chance that the systems are being missed, and as I said there would probably be backup systems in the robot, but I don't think that terror drones would be immune to sniper bullets.

Also, just to clarify (it's been some time since I saw the crappy localisation of that show, and I think they don't even broadcast it here anymore): They used projectile weapons in Robot wars? Last time I watched it was clubs and morning stars o_0...

it's still an impact, which ever way you look at it. I still don't like the idea of snipers killing things made entirely out of metal though.

Guest psych787

It did make some sense for snipers to be able to down choppers. After all, a high caliber bullet to its rotor can't be good.

However, shooting a chopper's landing gear, and subsequently watch its pilot fall out of the sky was retarded. Perhaps snipers could be given a few small, extremely difficult targets to hit on enemy choppers.

Guest Kakashi

Impact doesn't equal impact though, the force of a sniperbullet is usually more concentrated than that of a club :D.

Generally I don't agree to snipers harming vehicles or aircraft either, but the terror drone died in a burst from about anything, including most other bullet type weapons. I don't even suggest them doing huge damage to terror drones, but I wouldn't simply cross out the idea of them doing some harm either.

To my knowledge the terror drone is the fastest ground unit in the game, it's small, agile and nimble. Think about it, it'd be hard enough to hit such a target as is, so the concept would not be game-breaking like snipers ganging up and killing helis in seconds.

Guest Stormweaver

wait a sec.

A few pages back, you said sniper damage would be linked to it's range. did you mean:

1) In testing, you will either have a short ranged, high power rifle or a long range, low power rifle

- or -

2) the rifle's bullet damage will actually decrease with distance from the target?

do u add ra2 infantry idle animatons as taunts like in apb?

Maybe.

wait a sec.

A few pages back, you said sniper damage would be linked to it's range. did you mean:

1) In testing, you will either have a short ranged, high power rifle or a long range, low power rifle

- or -

2) the rifle's bullet damage will actually decrease with distance from the target?

The first option. However, we'll need to see how it plays out before we decide on significant balance changes like this.

Guest ivan55599

some yrs ago l saw topic, where was discussion and picture about conscripts with black hand grenades. so do they have grenades to counter deployed GI, or have they shoot to head to kill them?

some yrs ago l saw topic, where was discussion and picture about conscripts with black hand grenades. so do they have grenades to counter deployed GI, or have they shoot to head to kill them?

Black Powder Bombs were ruled out by a vote. To kill G.I.s you need to shoot them or run them over.