Blog 101 (01/10/08)

Welcome to this week's blog.

I've been scrambling around for content this week since last week's media fart. But have no fear, as this blog is not empty!

<h3>Allied Impact Drill</h3>

Whether this drill will be able to mess soviet units up is set to go under discussion soon, but one thing is for sure, the drill is definitely going to be repairing allied structures across the AR world once it has been implemented.

TheBeerinator has completed the texture on this vital piece of kit, modelled by rm5248, and it's looking really rather nice. Check it out below.

Drill-1.jpg

We are also trying to think of a secondary purpose for this weapon, other than repairing things. Our main idea was that it could do a little bit of close range damage, but we'd like your input on this.

<h3>C4 Explosives</h3>

The C4 explosive is truly a weapon to be feared, as a single charge can a considerabe amount of damage (applied to the major weakpoint of course). These fearsome explosives are given to only the most elite conventional allied soldiers, the Navy SEAL and Special Agent Tanya.

We need to balance the C4 into the game before we can confirm how much damage it will do. We may make it destroy a building on one hit, or we may make it damage it to a near-death state. This will also affect the quantities of C4 being carried by each unit. The SEAL will carry less C4 than Tanya though, that's for sure.

TheBeerinator has textured Poggel's model below. It has turned out nicely too :)

C4.jpg

<h3>Crate</h3>

Beware the random crate of randomness. Travelling over this crate will benefit you in some cases, but hinder you in others. You could be promoted up a level, healed, be given credits or you could be blown up into pieces. I don't recall the bomb crate being in RA2, but it'd be good to introduce into AR because it adds that nice gambling element of whether you should get the crate or not. This factor is one that makes the crate such a nice little addition to the game as a whole. Along with random placement, expect the crate to pop up in many places around the map.

Here is the model, done by me.

Crate-1.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I'm getting a new computer in a couple of weeks time. This is going to be a bit of a monster when it comes to specs, but nothing too space-age. I've also been learning Hammer so that I can make HL2 maps for my Games Design project! I've also been drafted into the role of choreographer for our motion capture group, since I was too tall to be the performer :D

cfehunter is back home after a stint away for a while. He is glad to be home.

rm5248 is up to his neck in work at the moment as is BogdanV and Chevy who are both back at school.

Chronojam has been walking the dog a lot as well as sorting out a website APB logo to put on the AR site affiliates page! :)

<h3>OWA's Random Section</h3>

This week's challenge is simple.

Bonus points for finding a second Westwood-related referance.

<h3>End</h3>

Next week, there will be more. But you already knew that so you can stop reading. Thanks.

Guest Glaedr

OH SNAP!! Its a crate! Run for your lives!

Great blog. I think the secondary fire for the drill damaging infantry sounds cool.

BTW, Scene 5 and scene 7!

Guest Jon Fox

Also last scene had a dune reference. :p

Don't forget the Ion Cannon from Renegade!

What do the soviets get to repair stuff?

Edited by Jon Fox

Don't forget the Ion Cannon from Renegade!

What do the soviets get to repair stuff?

When killboy06 said "Scene 5" he was referring to the ion cannon.

The soviets get a gas powered welder, much to the joy of theta123.

Guest Glaedr

Beep-Beep-Beep-Beep.... Ping.... Ping....

When i first saw the beacon come out of the block i thought it was one of the flashing beacons from Tib Sun.

Guest GummiBear

Nice blog

love the drills and can't wait to crate whore

that C4 is AWESOME too, will that which at least to me look like a display show a countdown?

Guest theta123

The soviets get a gas powered welder, much to the joy of theta123.

yes!!!YYYEEESS!!!!!I can SEE the glow!!!!!Im gonna kick everyone asses on the World AR welding tournament

Epic Drill, Epic Ion cannon beacon related video :D

I have even more questions now :D !!!!!! How do you capture a tech building??? Is there placed machineguns like in CoD 2??? Will you keep the taco car until the release??? Will you be able to sell units like in APB??? Will you be able to buy upgrades to ceartian units at Battle Labs??? Will you be able to repair dead "minor" buildings like Power Plant or Pilbox??? In RA2, when an allied spy enters a Soviet Battle Lab you would get a "Chrono Ivan". Will you get it here to??? Will the Apocalypse missiles lock on to enemie aircraft???

I have even more questions now :D !!!!!! How do you capture a tech building??? Is there placed machineguns like in CoD 2??? Will you keep the taco car until the release??? Will you be able to sell units like in APB??? Will you be able to buy upgrades to ceartian units at Battle Labs??? Will you be able to repair dead "minor" buildings like Power Plant or Pilbox??? In RA2, when an allied spy enters a Soviet Battle Lab you would get a "Chrono Ivan". Will you get it here to??? Will the Apocalypse missiles lock on to enemie aircraft???

Post your questions in this thread, not in the blog section.

Guest Gibbletsb

The repair drill could have a 'reverse' mode where it damages instead of repairs (by rotating the opposite direction) Sounds corny enough for RA2 to me. Or it could have a jackhammer feature which would explain close combat damage, the techie could even switch out the normal repair bit for a spike. Just ideas

Guest BaneOfSorrows

Hmm...something about those crates is kinda...weird. Maybe I'm just freaking out, but didn't the RA2 crates have like...short little silts on the corners?

eh.

whatever. :D

Otherwise, AR equals Epic, even when my equals key is dead.

Guest Alexandy

Mister drill should repair veiculars and buildings and, let's just say 'become a Soviet gut blender'.

Also all I regonize is scene five "Ion cannon beacon deployed" My favorite part was the rain then the 'BOOM'

Guest AdrwIvrsn

I think the drill's attack should be ineffective against infantry because, "I'm gonna stab you with mah powa' drill!" justs sounds a little impractical and silly (besides, he should be armed with a pistol like in RA2). It could instead be slightly more effective vs. vechicals than the GI's primary weapon, and perhaps even his heavy machine gun. However, he must walk right up to the tank itself to do so. If you can, you can also show flying metal parts as he drills into the tank's armor.

Guest GummiBear

I think the drill's attack should be ineffective against infantry because, "I'm gonna stab you with mah powa' drill!" justs sounds a little impractical and silly (besides, he should be armed with a pistol like in RA2). It could instead be slightly more effective vs. vechicals than the GI's primary weapon, and perhaps even his heavy machine gun. However, he must walk right up to the tank itself to do so. If you can, you can also show flying metal parts as he drills into the tank's armor.

well I am damn sure it hurts if you take a drill in RL and press its tip against your skin and press the "trigger" so well could be very little damage to inf a bit more though still not a lot of damage to tanks but you have to get up close with both of them

I think the drill's attack should be ineffective against infantry

No way! Make the drill do a small amount of damage to infantry, and it would be the equivalent of killing some one with a flash bang in CSs or CoD4. I'd love to see the kill message for the drill haha

Guest tank_killer

Reference 1: exploding crate/

reference 2: Ion cannon nite lite.

That was incredibly easy lol

I think the drill should have a vehicle repair option.

Also the C4 looks great, can't wait to make it go boom