Blog 128 (13/04/09)

Sorry that this blog is a little late comrades, but I've been rather busy working on my practical project for university. However, all is not lost as I present to you the blog today.

Also, happy easter to you all!

<h3>The Allied Power Plant</h3>

After a quick discussion with Chronojam and his cooperation in asking around, we have detirmined the nature of how the Allied Power Plant produces it's energy. To put it in simple terms, it utilises energy from underground, a.k.a geothermal power.

I discussed this with dtrngd and we have come up with a good idea for how this power plant works in basic terms and how we are going to translate it into Apocalypse Rising. You will have to wait to find out what we have in store in this regard. All I can tell you at this stage is that there will be three minor weakpoints and a single major weakpoint.

I also figured, eventually, that the Allies weren't using fusion power because it is too much like the soviets own nuclear power. Even though Einstein developed it, I believe that the allies' ethics would lead them to alternate sources of energy to put up on the battlefield. They don't need delivery of fuel and are self sufficient, such is the power of geothermal energy.

<h3>Grizzly Tank</h3>

No pictures as of yet, because it is not ready to be show off yet. However I will divulge some information about the grizzly tank.

Basing the design off of the ingame voxel has proved to be very useful, I think the people who make the open source voxel viewer. It is a truly great tool. The grizzly tank has a strange wheelbase which translates to the main body extruding inwards at the rear, I believe this design is intended to reduce weight on the back of the tank, focusing it to the middle and front. This provides the Grizzly tank with many advantages over it's soviet counterpart, the Rhino. These advantages include increased speed and manouverability. See the Grizzly as the cat to the Rhino's dog.

Since the ingame cameo and voxel are the only two points of referance of this tank, I have taken a subtle influence from the Allied Guardian Tank, which appears in RA3. It may have beaten the Grizzly in tank trials, bu they are without a doubt, cousins fighting for the same cause. This will be seen in my design as a third party referance and not one that will contradict the canon layed down in Red alert 2. If I did that it would be hypocracy, so please don't worry about the Grizzly not turning out accurate to the RA2 unit, because it will be as accurate as I can make it.

<h3>Podcast</h3>

Lord_Kane has announced that the podcast is coming this month. From both of us on the podcast crew, we apologise for this delay. We have been incredibly busy with studies, work and other commitments, so please bear with us as we attempt to bring you a podcast to answer all of those long awaited questions.

We shall do our best to make this podcast one of our finest.

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I have two weeks left before my hand in date. After that I shall be free to work on Apocalypse Rising full time until september, when I shall be starting my second year of university education. This will truly be a good summer, as I can be of much more use with my newly gained skills.

cfehunter will be joining me next year, as will Eggman891, as we attempt to take over Stafford for the independant nation of Bluehell Productions. :)

dtrngd is, as i have already stated, working on the Allied Power Plant.

TheBeerinator has his plate full with the Soviet Barracks, the Tesla Coil and a few other items.

danpaul88 is visiting his dad for easter.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Here's Andy. He's a dancer trying to get into the royal variety show to dance in front of the Queen.

<h3>Happy Easter</h3>

Hope you had a good one :D

Guest Major552

Cool blog.Happy Easter everyone :) .Cant wait for podcast

Now all we need is the APB blog :D

Edited by Major552

Guest UberEggz

Happy Easter!- :D

It's is my Super EGGY day but I was busy today so I couldn't own with upgraded egg army with bows-arrows instead of gooey splatter bomb

The allied power plant isn't geothermal-you can build it on roads and dead buildings and when destroyed the road is perfectly ungeotouched and not all areas have geothermal activity LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :):):):)

Guest Stormweaver

I still prefer my theory on the allied power plant. Abet using a version of Einstein's Chronosphere tech to transport stellar matter from the same point in space from 30 billions years in the future when the sun is a Red Giant.

...hey, at least my idea allows for the whole 'can be built on roads/hills/Ice' Thing.

Otherwise, all sounds good. I still want to know if the 'gap' at the back of the grizzly tank can be stood/hidden inside by infantry, or if there will be an invisible blocker there. *infers question*

EDIT(s): Turns out typos are really, really easy after 32 hours without sleep. just 18 left till I break my current record!

Edited by Stormweaver

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Actually, nuclear fusion is completely enviromentally clean in all areas, no greenhouse gasses or nuclear waste, it's just not developed yet. I guessed at first that you were going to use (the infamious hoax) cold fusion like the USA uses in Generals (don't start a Generals debate here), but I think I will be fine with geothermal, as magma can explain the glow in the center.

Also, one of the reasons the old grizzly model looked weird was because the hull and turret was to flat, the turret was too small, and the hull was too wide. I hope, and believe, that your new model will fix these, but as a tip, the purchase icon is actually a picture of the M60 Patton, so you can draw some ideas from there.

The allied power plant isn't geothermal-you can build it on roads and dead buildings and when destroyed the road is perfectly ungeotouched and not all areas have geothermal activity LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :D:):):)

NONE of the destroyed/sold buildings in RA2 leave anything other than scorchmarks, in order to allow you to build at places where your buildings were previously destroyed. So we can't draw the inference relying on RA2 in this case.

Also, who said you can't drill through roads if you can drill through the ground really deep? =P

Guest Xiphias6
NONE of the destroyed/sold buildings in RA2

You didn't state whether they were buildable or civ ones :D

How many openings are there that lead into the Allied PP/"MCT"?

Guest AdrwIvrsn

It's complicated. Wait for the next blog :D

It's complicated to enter the major weak point area, rather than simply walking through a door? Wow, that's certainly good architecture... :)

And there isn't really anything left over from a geothermal plant, just a a very thin and long pipe that goes down in enormous depths. I recall one of your weak points were the turbines in the power plant, but what's your major weak point, specifically in the power core? With a geothermal plant, you could do steam tanks (BOOM!) or a magma control center, that when destroyed magma will leak all over the building. However, I think the latter should be done with the refinery with molten ore.

It's complicated to enter the major weak point area, rather than simply walking through a door? Wow, that's certainly good architecture... :D

And there isn't really anything left over from a geothermal plant, just a a very thin and long pipe that goes down in enormous depths. I recall one of your weak points were the turbines in the power plant, but what's your major weak point, specifically in the power core? With a geothermal plant, you could do steam tanks (BOOM!) or a magma control center, that when destroyed magma will leak all over the building. However, I think the latter should be done with the refinery with molten ore.

It's complicated in the sense that the layout is complicated >_>

Magma/ore cannot leak at all, since the w3d engine does not do dynamic liquids.

Guest Docgrit74

Relying on geothermal power for their bases would severely limit Allied military operations as you can only access geothermal energy at techtonic boundaries.

Nucler fusion is clean, renewable and sustainable, very much so in line with Allied policy. It's basically the complete opposite to nuclear fission used by the Soviets. It hasn't been developed yet, but neither have time machines, teleporters, devices that make things invulnerable and mind control devices for giant squid.

Relying on geothermal power for their bases would severely limit Allied military operations as you can only access geothermal energy at techtonic boundaries.

And since our maps aren't based on the real world, we can decide where Allies can set up these Power Plants :D

Guest AdrwIvrsn

I'm fine with geothermal, as long as you make it hi-tech to the point that it sips bits of magma from the ground and brings the magma to a boiler, as no present geothermal plant can ever get close to that.

But I still would prefer that you use cold fusion. Because it was a hoax in real life, you can say anything you want on how it works, as long as it involves smashing atoms together. You can have portholes showing a eerie blue glow of some kind of plasma, computer displays all around, floating orbs of energy, etc.

It's just like the Tesla reactor. All it is is just a spinning glass globe with static coming out. It's so unbelievable and unrealistic it's believable.

Nucler fusion is clean, renewable and sustainable, very much so in line with Allied policy. It's basically the complete opposite to nuclear fission used by the Soviets. It hasn't been developed yet, but neither have time machines, teleporters, devices that make things invulnerable and mind control devices for giant squid.

You talk about realism in regards to geothermal power, but then completely contradict yourself by saying that other impossible things are possible within RA2. Let's just say that the allies have oversized drills.

I'm fine with geothermal, as long as you make it hi-tech to the point that it sips bits of magma from the ground and brings the magma to a boiler, as no present geothermal plant can ever get close to that.

But I still would prefer that you use cold fusion. Because it was a hoax in real life, you can say anything you want on how it works, as long as it involves smashing atoms together. You can have portholes showing a eerie blue glow of some kind of plasma, computer displays all around, floating orbs of energy, etc.

It's just like the Tesla reactor. All it is is just a spinning glass globe with static coming out. It's so unbelievable and unrealistic it's believable.

The reactor glows orange, not blue, which invalidates your theory about the Allied Power Plant relying on cold fusion.

The Tesla Reactor's ball does not spin either. It is the equivilant to a giant van de graaf generator.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

You talk about realism in regards to geothermal power, but then completely contradict yourself by saying that other impossible things are possible within RA2. Let's just say that the allies have oversized drills.

The reactor glows orange, not blue, which invalidates your theory about the Allied Power Plant relying on cold fusion.

The Tesla Reactor's ball does not spin either. It is the equivilant to a giant van de graaf generator.

Does it really matter? >_> Okay then, eerie ORANGE glowing portholes.

And although a Van de Graff generator is more modern and powerful, I think having the ball spin like the really, really old friction machines (the precursor of the VdG generator which a glass ball rolled across an object like wool, rather than having a belt that ran inside) would make the Tesla Reactor more dynamic (or memory guzzling, but if it doesn't affect the game too much, then why not?).

Also, I was wondering, how much you base your models of of the purchase icons? I hope you could base it more on the voxel than the picture because 80% the pictures are actual vehicles that in no way resemble the in-game vehicle, but are in such an angle that it looks like it. I know this contradicts my previous post on advising you to draw influence from the M60, but I think the voxels are more RA2-listic and more accurate.

Guest UberEggz

Happy Easter!- :)

It's is my Super EGGY day but I was busy today so I couldn't own with upgraded egg army with bows-arrows instead of gooey splatter bomb

The allied power plant isn't geothermal the road is perfectly ungeotouched and not all areas have geothermal activity LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :):) ^^ :o

Geothermal activity is not everywhere CHILD

and how can you drill into the ground on ice???(you would sink)

Allies would suck if they have geothermal

-------------They have firePOWER---------------

no it's 70% hydrogen 10% coal and 20% fusion

because when explode yellow orange stuff comes out and fries :o:D:):o

if you dont listen.... :D:) (not fricken KORHALE(that n00b))

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Geothermal activity is not everywhere CHILD

Allies would suck if they have geothermal

-------------They have firePOWER---------------

no it's 70% hydrogen 10% coal and 20% fusion

because when explode yellow orange stuff comes out and fries :):) ^^ :o

if you dont listen.... :):) (not fricken KORHALE(that n00b))

Hydrogen might not be a bad idea. It might even make for a good major weak point that fries everyone inside if destroyed. However, most power plants rely on once source of power only, not a bit of this and a bit of that, so it won't have fusion or coal.

And the Conscript needs an anti-tank laser, and GIs with swords. KORHALE told me so.

I also feel embarrassed that I'm arguing with no-one on this thread, and am the only one arguing :D

Guest Kakashi

Umm... You can't build on ice in RA2? They can build on snow, yes. But underneath snow there can be both Ice and earth. However considering RA2 had a seperate "ice in water" ground texture I don't think there was any ground that actually had ice and water underneath.

Guest MartinMb

I dont give a shit either, cause it dos not really affect gameplay or RAlism as in RA2 we never knew how the Allied PP work.

Your work is awesome anyway, so dont waste your time debating on the energy source.