Blog 142 (23/07/09)

Welcome to this week's blog. For the stuff you actually want to see, look below.

<h3>Building Bridges</h3>

rm5248 has been working on getting more pieces of bridge modelled to aid fanmappers in the future. Hopefully these pieces of bridge will be able to be placed in level edit, so you won;t have to mode you're own unless you feel obliged to.

rm5248 will be making a few differant bridge types for you guys to use, which shall be pretty cool.

Also pretty cool is the fact that rm has also modelled a bridge repair hut that mappers will be able to place down on maps. Inside is a basic interior with controls that engineers can access to repair the bridge. We may also do lift and swing bridges, so if an engineer accesses the controls, he can make the bridge move (maybe even with some enemy tanks on it if it's timed right :D ).

Anyway, here are some images!

bridge_sections1-1.jpg

bridgehut2-1.jpgbridgehut4-1.jpg

<h3>S4M Silenced Pistol</h3>

Originally this weapon was going to be the standard issue pistol for the soviets. But after an internal discussion it was decided that due to the crazy design of the weapon, that it should go to the Cuban Terrorist. The soviets would then be left with the Tokarev as their standard issue weapon.

This weapon is crazy, fires two bullets at once, reloads from a dual side mounted clip and is probably going to be funny as hell to use.

Take a look at what Poggel has done with the design so far.

s4m1-1.pngs4m2-1.png

<h3>Weakpoint Setup</h3>

danpaul88 has been developing the scripts for the weakpoint logic. Basically when these crates are destroyed, the building explodes from the inside as all of the internal workings are damaged.

Take a look at what danpaul88 has done in the screenshot below!

allbar_weakpoints_teaser-1.jpg

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've been working all week. Can't wait for the weekend! Also, Black & White 2 is awesome! Also, I'm working on getting the AR logo sorted out and fixed up.

cfehunter has been around and about the forums.

dtrngd has left for a week, but will be back.

danpaul88 has been waiting for Windows 7 to arrive on MSDN. August the 6th looks like the date of arrival.

TheBeerinator has been doing a few things for APB.

Ric has been refining the Chrono Miner model. Yes the miner itself is being refined!

The rest of the team have been working on various things.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

HEY IT'S VINCE WITH SLAP CHOP

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>End</h3>

Again next week.

Guest Stormweaver

I so would have been the first poster if this PC wasn't so slow :/ damned holiday.

This and previous AR blogs are epic. Wouldn't mind seeing a short clip of a building being killed once the various animations are done though...

Are AR building planned to have 'structural damage' become apparent when the building gets damaged too much? I remember it being said they would leave...mere husks once destroyed, but I like asking questions...

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Hooray! Bridge hut!

The S4M is a great sidearm for the Terrorist, even though it's going to be made cheap because it's not going to survive the boom. However, I was wondering what's with the side clip. The S4M actually opens up like a double barrel shotgun, and loads like one too. It basically uses a speed loader to make the loading quick.

s4m-2.jpg

Also, when the building dies when the major weakpoint is destroyed, are you going to create a large explosion from the weakpoint or will smaller explosions fill the building?

Hooray! Bridge hut!

The S4M is a great sidearm for the Terrorist, even though it's going to be made cheap because it's not going to survive the boom. However, I was wondering what's with the side clip. The S4M actually opens up like a double barrel shotgun, and loads like one too. It basically uses a speed loader to make the loading quick.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr251/AdrwIvrsn/s4m-2.jpg

Also, when the building dies when the major weakpoint is destroyed, are you going to create a large explosion from the weakpoint or will smaller explosions fill the building?

We gave the S4M a side mounted clip to give the weapon a few extra shots before it needs to be reloaded.

Hopefully both types of explosion will be there.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

We gave the S4M a side mounted clip to give the weapon a few extra shots before it needs to be reloaded.

You don't have to do what I am suggesting because I am basically obsessed with accuracy of portraying military technology, but the S4M lacks any mechanisms to eject the empty shell out, making a magazine useless because you can't load another bullet with the shell still in it.

I would imagine that to compensate for only having two bullets, every time the terrorist reloads, he opens the gun like the above picture, uses gravity to drop the spent shells, loads the gun with a speedloader, and cocks the gun by pulling the bottom cap of the pistol grip forward like an upside-down can, all of this less than half a second.

It will still give him a weakness, but his pistol needs to be nerfed to encourage players to use his bomb. Plus, the caliber of the bullets used is actually pretty large, so you can also compensate for the constant reloading by making it more powerful.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

Guest r34ch

what I am suggesting

I like this idea actually. It would mean however the bullet damage would have to more than other weapons (to make it useful at all). But if it had the multiple reloads and short range, it might actually work out well.

Guest Xiphias6

I'd laugh myself to death if when a weakpoint explodes it kills a buncha guys standing near it :D

...otherwise the BRH is epic. I can't wait to hide in it and ambush a couple o' tan...the entire enemy team :)

Guest Stormweaver

I like this idea actually. It would mean however the bullet damage would have to more than other weapons (to make it useful at all). But if it had the multiple reloads and short range, it might actually work out well.

well, even basic pistols should be doing more than 50% damage with headshots on everything the allies have, bar maybe the rocketeer, so the fact that this beaty has 2 bullets hitting roughly the same place should make it more than effective enough. plus, it's only there till you get close enough to go boom...terrorists were...'tactical' units you would sneak into an enemy base in RA2, they shouldn't be able to just run in and live.

I do forsee a use of terrorists in tanks though. Rhino tank + terrorist would be able to do significant damage to a small allied tank rush, if terrorist damage is similar to RA2 when it comes to vs. tanks.

Ah more on that awesome bridge, looks great.

I love the Cuba Terrorist's pistol, should be awesome as a double shot lol.

And the long awaited weapoints in action, love them.

Another awesome blog guys, keep it up!

Guest GummiBear

funny gun, really small in real life. terrorist...ftw :D

are crates easier to destry than mcts?

ehmm the crates (or more generally the weakpoints) is a replacement for the MCT's, so you can't really say as there wont even be an MCT in AR

ehmm the crates (or more generally the weakpoints) is a replacement for the MCT's, so you can't really say as there wont even be an MCT in AR

Believe it they are not MCTs, the old MCT was separated into major weakpoints (-quicker from-interior destruction) and repair nodes (-quicker building repairs only, doesn't affect the weakpoints). BUT the major weakpoint doesn't share health with the building so you can't just blow it to red inside so the tanks outside can finish it. The building will still have full HP, even if the weakpoint only needs a fart on it to die and bring the whole building to death with it.

You don't have to do what I am suggesting because I am basically obsessed with accuracy of portraying military technology, but the S4M lacks any mechanisms to eject the empty shell out, making a magazine useless because you can't load another bullet with the shell still in it.

Those mechanisms will be included; this model is still a work in progress.

Does that mean the major weakpoint will still be intact even if the building is destroyed from the outside?

The weakpoint is linked to the death of the building. So if the buildings dies, the weakpoint will be disabled.

Guest lawmakerex

I have always wondered, since the buildings in AR are much bigger than the ones in apb, and since there are many weak points in a building, shouldn't that building have automated defenses like ceiling gun emplacements or something. Maybe one that cannot be rebuilt or even can be rebuilt. Also a security camera that warns the team that someone has entered a weak point area can also be a nice touch. If the majority of the people here think its not a great idea or it would be uneeded so i am fine with it.

I have always wondered, since the buildings in AR are much bigger than the ones in apb, and since there are many weak points in a building, shouldn't that building have automated defenses like ceiling gun emplacements or something. Maybe one that cannot be rebuilt or even can be rebuilt. Also a security camera that warns the team that someone has entered a weak point area can also be a nice touch. If the majority of the people here think its not a great idea or it would be uneeded so i am fine with it.

I thought the same... even made scripts which made it possible, including guns linked to cameras (no camera lock = gun idle etc, allows sneaking past defences when cam not looking, or simply destroying cameras to get thru), but nobody seemed keen...

Guest Tzar469

I think that's a great idea, as long as the warning's broadcasted to only the players inside the building to prevent the entire team from swarming it.

Guest wolfdude191

hey this looks so good cant wait to play, and with that S4M Silenced Pistol, what program you using to model it?

(im that kind of guy) lolz

Edited by wolfdude191

hey this looks so good cant wait to play, and with that S4M Silenced Pistol, what program you using to model it?

(im that kind of guy) lolz

We all use 3d Studio Max for our 3d art.

Well, I must admit, I just can't wait for this mod to show up, keep up the good work, guys! :)

Thanks! Also, welcome to the forum :D

Guest Occult13

I must say, your work + dtrngd's support has put me into 3d modeling (maps).

Awesome blargh, as always. That bridge looks really nice, so does the repairing hut. About the pistol, the trigger reminds me about the one from a water pistol. Quite weird, but the design is quite good after all.

And I can already see early rushes aiming for the weakpoints :D