Blog 146 (20/08/09)

Welcome to this week's blog. I've been reinstalling my computer since Monday, so I haven't gotten round to rustling up much in the way of content, but I hope you guys will be happy with this lot.

<h3>Allied Purchase Terminals</h3>

TheBeerinator has been working on the Allied Purchase Terminals recently. Allied players can expect to see these dotted around inside the base structures. The further you go into a structure, the bigger the pt gets. So the smaller pt's will be used by doors and entrances, whilst the medium and large pt's will feature as you venture further into the building.

To stop battle refilling, only the medium and large pt's have trickle refill cupboards (which open and close as you walk up to the pt). To add to the no refilling in battle rule, if an enemy player enters the building you are camping, the refill cupboards will automatically lock, as if to protect the supplies inside. This should give the attackers more of an advantage against the defenders; which should hopefully encourage more infantry combat inside structures.

The screens will also be animated to provide information such as whether the power plant is still running and whether there is an intruder in the building you are currently in. The screens will also display some other information which you may find amusing. Finally, when a building is destroyed, the screens will turn red.

Take a look at the Pt's below.

finishedpts-1.jpg

<h3>Tesla Reactor Final Exterior Model</h3>

I handed the files for the Tesla Reactor over to dtrngd and he has finalised the shape of the exterior. We have something a bit special planned for the interior, just like the rest of the buildings. However you'll find out what it is in weeks to come.

Take a look at this below.

TR_exterior_1.png

<h3>Re-Render of the GI's Heavy Weapon</h3>

The renders that were shown of the Allied GI's FN Minimi Para just didn't do the model justice, so I took the model and re-rendered it in glorious light-traced awesomeness.

Credit to Guy with a wrench for the model.

giheavy2.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I am now on Windows 7, which rocks! Also, I'm off to Torquay in a couple of weeks time. Anyone live round there?

cfehunter is coming drinking with me on friday.

dtrngd and TheBeerinator have been making waves with the setup of the purchase terminals. Next, repair nodes, the the world!

Ric is working on the Chrono Miner.

Guy with a wrench is back!

The rest of the team is doing some secret stuffs.

<h3>We're Looking For...</h3>

We are looking for extra staff members to join our ranks!

At the moment we are looking for:

<h4>2d Texture Artists</h4>

<h4>3d Model Artists</h4>

What we are looking for in either a 2d or 3d artist, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • has spare time.
  • will be active in the forseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is competant at creating their own 2d textures or 3d models in 3d Studio Max/Maya.
  • is over the age of 16.

PM me with your application stating why you would like to join the team along with any past experience. Please provide example textures or models, if you have any.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

People pose the question; "What fits into Russia?"

Well, let's find out!

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

Kudos to theta123 for this one.

<h3>My Plug In Baby.</h3>

In unbroken virgin realities...

I love those new PTs, they just look amazingly awesome!!!

At last, the TR is being worked on, I really can't wait to see that ingame!

You gotta love that FN Minimi Para, it sure does look epic!

Once again an awesome blog guys, keep it up!

About the cupboards... will they close when soviet tank drives near building, and if so could said soviet tank splash damage into said building... if so mother Russia thanks you, if not you will die like allied dogs.

Other than that thanks for the blog.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

I love the look of the PTs, they are just like I invisioned and wanted: a cinematic, cool blue, overly fancy digital display. The cupboard idea is also very clever, as it explains (in a dryly humorious sort of way) why you can't refill in battle. However, I have a few questions:

- What's the difference between the large and medium sized PTs in terms of function?

- The fact that they will alert the presence of an enemy, does that mean that you consitered the camera idea once presented to you?

- If red screens means the building is dead, how will the color of Soviet PTs work?

- Will there be red alarms and sirens that will complement a PT on warning mode?

Last, I have to say the Tesla Reactor is so dead on, I can't really describe how great it looks to me.

Guest killertomato

Those PTs are badass. I love the Minimi, despite it being a para. That stock is more uncomfortable than the Mk. 2 :D ! The skinned tesla reactor really is a thing of beauty, though.

However, this blog's shining star was that video. Fake communist propaganda? Lol. Random countries shown as being smaller than Russia? Haha. Feliks Dzerzhinsky as a presenter? BWAHAHAHAHAHA. :)

Guest Xiphias6

Epic...just epic. I love the PTs. Looks like the consoles of a ship's bridge :D

Also, it seems very weird that if a Soviet stands on the ramp of the Allied War Factory and the refill cupboards at the far, far away near the weakpoint gets locked...

Guest theta123

Purchase terminals are awesome. You really put a load of details, nice job !

LOL What fits into Russia ! Try to put Canada...

HA Capitalist Canada, only fills HALF of Mother russia!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA

Epic blorg their OWA. FN Minimi Para looks good, will be ideal to mow down those Conscripts :D

Guest GummiBear

nice blog love those PT's and the idea of them locking when an enemy enter the building. And that minimi looks awesome, as does the tesla reactor

Guest Pyrodaimon

The accuracy in the Tesla Coil is astonishing. However, it's still kinda hard to picture it's actual size from that small picture.

Great work on the PTs. Also, I suppose that since they aren't flat panels attached to the walls, the well-known PT shouldn't happen anymore, right?

R-Right?

Guest Stormweaver

/me likes

I must ask, you say that there will be warning lights on the PTs to alert to the Power being offline, and to there being intruders...

will there be any way to 'sneak' into AR buildings without triggering this? I'd hop to be able to get crazy ivan in and blow up stuff without being swarmed by 50 GIs who saw red flashing lights...

/me likes

I must ask, you say that there will be warning lights on the PTs to alert to the Power being offline, and to there being intruders...

will there be any way to 'sneak' into AR buildings without triggering this? I'd hop to be able to get crazy ivan in and blow up stuff without being swarmed by 50 GIs who saw red flashing lights...

They'd spot you on the radar first, not on the terminals :p

About the cupboards... will they close when soviet tank drives near building, and if so could said soviet tank splash damage into said building... if so mother Russia thanks you, if not you will die like allied dogs.

Other than that thanks for the blog.

There will be zones that cover the interior of the structure, so they will only close up if an enemy guy runs into the structure. Tanks won't set off the zone's lock sequence.

Thanks for reading :)

I love the look of the PTs, they are just like I invisioned and wanted: a cinematic, cool blue, overly fancy digital display. The cupboard idea is also very clever, as it explains (in a dryly humorious sort of way) why you can't refill in battle. However, I have a few questions:

- What's the difference between the large and medium sized PTs in terms of function?

- The fact that they will alert the presence of an enemy, does that mean that you consitered the camera idea once presented to you?

- If red screens means the building is dead, how will the color of Soviet PTs work?

- Will there be red alarms and sirens that will complement a PT on warning mode?

Last, I have to say the Tesla Reactor is so dead on, I can't really describe how great it looks to me.

-We may give the larger pt a better healing rate over the medium sized one.

-We considered the security camera idea a long time ago, but ruled it out because 9 times out of 10, the camera has the aim to kill you. We don't want to make it too hard to infiltrate structures!

-You'll find out about that soon enough :D

-Nope, just a simple on screen dialog that tells the player that the supplies have been locked up. You should be able to track the intruder on radar anyway, so this won't be much of a give away for wannabe Solid Snakes.

does ball itself have tesla effects?

It will do when it is rigged.

Epic...just epic. I love the PTs. Looks like the consoles of a ship's bridge :)

Also, it seems very weird that if a Soviet stands on the ramp of the Allied War Factory and the refill cupboards at the far, far away near the weakpoint gets locked...

Thanks!

This won't happen, since the Soviet guy will need to be in the building for the cupboards to lock up. The ramp doesn't count as being inside.

The accuracy in the Tesla Coil is astonishing. However, it's still kinda hard to picture it's actual size from that small picture.

Great work on the PTs. Also, I suppose that since they aren't flat panels attached to the walls, the well-known PT shouldn't happen anymore, right?

R-Right?

You mean the PT bug? This was fixed a while back as far as I know.

/me likes

There will be a screen that tells you whether the power is off.

No warning sirens or anything though, just a subtle change on the screen.

Guest lawmakerex

Really something there, especially with the PTs. They look as they are in the cinematics, and they are not just for purchasing units and refilling now. Really great job at them and of course the tesla reactor. Just cant imagine how it will look when done in its gigantic size. Btw why not adding cameras that cant shoot but alarms players in nearby building that someone has entered a building or is near a weakpoint area? Or do the cameras just have the tendency to shoot people? There should be some kind of way to protect the buildings a little.

Really something there, especially with the PTs. They look as they are in the cinematics, and they are not just for purchasing units and refilling now. Really great job at them and of course the tesla reactor. Just cant imagine how it will look when done in its gigantic size. Btw why not adding cameras that cant shoot but alarms players in nearby building that someone has entered a building or is near a weakpoint area? Or do the cameras just have the tendency to shoot people? There should be some kind of way to protect the buildings a little.

Cameras and alarms would ruin that sense of sneaking that you get when there is nobody around and you are heading in to destroy the power plant or whatever. Basically, it ruins the element of surprise by practically saying "THERE IS SOMEONE IN THE POWER PLANT, GET HIM!" So yeah, cameras would make it too easy to defend.

Plus, we are enforcing a feature freeze now. So any more features that come as ideas will not be implemented into RC1. This will push forward our development schedule a bit, since we can focus on getting the job done, instead of deciding what to do.

Guest tfkillzone

What I do miss in APB is actually the "red alert". So I look forward to have something like that in AR in buildings when intruders come or power goes down. GJ on purchase terminals.

okay, i know OWA just said feature freeze, but i wanted to throw this out there mebbe for future releases. mebbe if there is an alarm, it could only go off when the building is attacked. that way sneaking in is still possible.

Guest Xiphias6

mebbe if there is an alarm, it could only go off when the building is attacked. that way sneaking in is still possible.

"Our base is under attack."

Oops, typo.

Edited by Xiphias6

okay, i know OWA just said feature freeze, but i wanted to throw this out there mebbe for future releases. mebbe if there is an alarm, it could only go off when the building is attacked. that way sneaking in is still possible.

Yeah that happens regardless.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

How about if there was a manual alarm that a person can just walk up to and press E? Then we can impliment it without ruining sneaking tactics. However, to prevent alarm spams, it should not be able to activate unless there really is an enemy in the building, or just the same room to prevent people from pulling the alarms just to see if there really IS someone in the building.

I would also love to see the enemy be able to pull the alarm, just to taunt or even slyly divert the enemy's attention.

That would be funny. Then crazy ivan could run in the power plant, activate the alarm, then run to the War Factory while everyone is distracted.f

How about if there was a manual alarm that a person can just walk up to and press E? Then we can impliment it without ruining sneaking tactics. However, to prevent alarm spams, it should not be able to activate unless there really is an enemy in the building, or just the same room to prevent people from pulling the alarms just to see if there really IS someone in the building.

I would also love to see the enemy be able to pull the alarm, just to taunt or even slyly divert the enemy's attention.

That's a fun idea, however in the interests of AR's release we don't want to delay it with more features like this if we can help it.

Guest GummiBear

That would be funny. Then crazy ivan could run in the power plant, activate the alarm, then run to the War Factory while everyone is distracted.f

or even better a conscript goes to PP and activate it while ivan goes directly to War Factory

Guest HYBRID BEING

Nice blog as always.

Awesome PTs. Though they definitely lack buttons. Will units be auto-refilled near them? Also, reading about PTs couldn't stop thinking about this.

Waiting for a brickwork texture for a Tesla Reactor. :D

And the FN Minimi Para... TeamWolf alredy said it, it's epic. Just one question about it's legs (or how they are called?). They would be closed? Cause GI would move it even inside the entrenchment.

Hope my English doesn't stop you from understanding me. :)