Blog 156 (29/10/09)

Guest AdrwIvrsn

They didn't intend to be experts, nor to claim it. It's fiction. There are guns shooting electricity at you, and a cyborg blasting your tank with an arm cannon. If you want to rage about military stuff in games, rage over Generals. It attempted to be true but failed horribly.

Exactly. But you know me; I sometimes have fits on the smallest of pet peeves that don't even matter. (Say the GLA are a Jihadist group god dammit, and WTF flashbangs KILL?! :D )

In fact, I was about to ask if custom models would be allowed in AR, even though the server will still likely be run by MP-Gaming, because I wanted to alter the Grizzly cannon to be less cartoony. I was also going to do that with other models, too.

This is because I perfer the idea of mixing realism and utter science fiction, because it intentionally doesn't mix well and ends up with interesting and funny concepts, rather than a midpoint of the two. Keep that in mind if I go on a text rampage again.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

Ivan's pistol will be epicly fun to use lol.

Yeah, if your good at aiming. As you can probably tell from the video, I am not.... too long since I played regularly. I used to be really good at sniping in Renegade before all the sniper servers turned into aimbot-fests... at that point its almost impossible to compete so I just stopped playing in sniper servers.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

With the revolver, is the animation still a work in progress? By the looks of it, it seems you will have him use a speed loader, but he doesn't slap the cylinder back in. And you are missing what I expected him to do: twirl it around his finger after loading and cocking back the hammer.

Guest TruYuri

With the revolver, is the animation still a work in progress? By the looks of it, it seems you will have him use a speed loader, but he doesn't slap the cylinder back in. And you are missing what I expected him to do: twirl it around his finger after loading and cocking back the hammer.

It's a temporary rig.

The MP5 has two clip sizes and we discussed both in the HQ and it was decided to use the longer clip, as seen in this image (url instead of hotlink due to forum rules -> http://www.mfiap.com/AIRSOFT/mp5k.jpg )

I put a link because I am too stupid to figure out how to put a picture emot-sigh.gif

Just as well really since posting the picture directly is against forum rules unless it's hosted on an image hosting site such as Imageshack.

EDIT: Also, that image you posted is of an MP5SD, not an MP5K.

Guest danisnod

Ah. I missed that. But the longer clip would be an interesting addition.

P.S: I knew it was a different model, I only used it because it had the longer clip. Otherwise I would have used the MP5K, but... I just prefer the longer one for visual sake.

P.S.S: For the SEAL, wouldn't a UMP work http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm.../d6/HKUMP45.JPG? It's similar to the MP5K, and in fact, it's the successor to the MP5K. OR, a FN P90, with a silencer & suppression would be interesting. So they could be stealthy.

MP5 for the GIs now? Did I miss something, or is the SEAL getting something new?

The renders are all amazing and I feel the Grizzly was greatly improved from the last version, which was all too rounded, but I noticed one issue.

The inward facing track skirts need to brought up higher, else the vehicle might have issues confronting sloped terrain.

The Seal is getting an MP5-N and the GI is getting an MP5-K. These decisions are based upon what concept art and rules.ini tells us.

The Grizzly's track skirts should be fine ingame.

Right, in the way that their users are switched, because the MP5 K is used by elite special forces in rare cases. :)

But I think only the GGI should have a rifle (perhaps the M4?), and the GI have a submachine gun like their Soviet conscript counterparts. I'm fine with the MP5 K, since your first thoughts of giving him an MP7 would have been even more ironic, because the MP7's 4.6x30mm round can penetrate body armor while the SEAL's MP5's 9x19mm can't, and the fact that it was shown in a Westwood concept art.

We didn't ever think of giving the Seal an MP7. Please direct me to the concept art that displays the the MP7 and the Navy SEAL. In all my years of collecting RA2 reference material I have never found anything on the SEAL besides the ingame graphics.

He appears to be carrying an MP5 in the cameo image and rules.ini states that the weapon is an MP5, so we went with it.

There is a concept image of the Allied GI here with, which we deduced as being somewhere near, an MP5-K so we went with it.

Wikipedia appears to strongly contradict you, and the difference that does exist sure wouldn't explain how it takes half a magazine worth of bodyshots to kill with the GI's MP5 awhile the SEALs MP5 does it in a third as many shots. (example figures)

(and saying "different types of rounds" is simply a cop-out)

See above response. We're recreating RA2 here, not Call of Battlefield: Project Reality.

They didn't intend to be experts, nor to claim it. It's fiction. There are guns shooting electricity at you, and a cyborg blasting your tank with an arm cannon. If you want to rage about military stuff in games, rage over Generals. It attempted to be true but failed horribly.

People talking about realism should read the above post.

Good job dudes, the video is nice too.

Like the other Dev.blogs, translated into French. :D

Cheers BoneWerks :)

In fact, I was about to ask if custom models would be allowed in AR, even though the server will still likely be run by MP-Gaming, because I wanted to alter the Grizzly cannon to be less cartoony. I was also going to do that with other models, too.

Custom models will be allowed in AR since stuff is being handled differently with collision detection that will re-enable fairness across all w3d mods. No spongebob C4 though please :)

Apparently my information is out of date and it DOES infact have the longer clip. Apparently OWA is posting out of date WIP images in the blog :p

It was in-date when I posted it D:

Guest Xiphias6

OWA changes his mind too often. :D Just kidding, just kidding. AR's pretty fluid right now so he can't be blamed (Since he is after all a Nod soldier)...I guess. :)

Guest AdrwIvrsn

OWA, just to let you know with us realists, we're trying to find examples that fit with what is in RA2, but also makes sense for people with simple knowledge of military technology.

Though one thing I wondered why you haven't tried, but could you alter and rename some of the weapons so they are a fictional variant? For example, RA3 calls the conscript's AK-47 the "ADK-45." I know you once said you would not give the Rocketeer's "Whirlwind" cannon a fictional designation in case a real weapon is released with that title, but who cares?

That might make it a good compromise for both for us, and allows for even more creative licence. We would be happy that we have a weapon that works any way you claim it to work, and you can choose whatever weapon you want and design or alter it any way you want.

Guest EVA-251

The Seal is getting an MP5-N and the GI is getting an MP5-K. These decisions are based upon what concept art and rules.ini tells us.

See above response. We're recreating RA2 here, not Call of Battlefield: Project Reality.

Uh huh

First, looking back at the concept art, why don't you guys just create the gun pictured in the concept art? You have enough material to do so, and it would be an original design and it would make sense that it would be weaker than the SEAL's MP5. Rules.ini also states "M60" for GI's primary and concept art shows Allied Machine Gunner having a portable water-cooled .50 cal (this unit was folded into the GI), obviously you don't want to follow those examples, eh?

Second, don't try to marginalize a perfectly valid argument with bullocks like "Call of Battlefield: Project Reality."

It WOULD NOT make any sense that the GI, dirt-tier infantry and the SEAL, top tier infantry, share the essentially the exact same weapon, with the only major differences being

GI weapon does only about 1/6th the overall damage.

SEAL weapon doesn't damage buildings or vehicles.

And it isn't just an issue of realism. A personal example would be one of my old old RA2 mods, Stalemate. I added a modified Apoc with 3 barrels. It essentially looked like the much weaker Apoc, except it was over 6 times more durable and had a lot of firepower too.

Got critiqued for passing off essentially the exact same unit except with massively buffed stats.

Edited by EVA-251

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Uh huh

First, looking back at the concept art, why don't you guys just create the gun pictured in the concept art? You have enough material to do so, and it would be an original design and it would make sense that it would be weaker than the SEAL's MP5. Rules.ini also states "M60" for GI's primary and concept art shows Allied Machine Gunner having a portable water-cooled .50 cal (this unit was folded into the GI), obviously you don't want to follow those examples, eh?

^ Further supports my idea of just making up your own weapon.

Really, I think why we are having a rage war with each other is because there are real life weapons in AR, and thus with probably a fifth of the community being realism nerds, we would expect the guns to somewhat function like they would in real. But if you did like I pointed out with RA3, just alter the name and the model of the gun, you now have a fictional weapon that you can claim it does whatever you say it does and it will work out fine for us realists. Just don't follow what Westwood says. Not only are they highly inconsistent, but their knowledge of military technology is even worse, and they just throw in random names for the rules.ini.

Guest killertomato

The techie should have that revolver in APB :v . That is a legit MP-5k, and for the love of god buy a real gas mask, OWA. They're $15-20 at any good surplus store.

So... what if we called the SEAL's weapon the MP5-N/10? That variant never actually existed, but is a theoretical what-if based on a combination the MP5/10 (10mm Auto caliber) and the existing MP5-N. What if the MP5-N had been produced in a 10mm caliber variation, giving it a higher damage rating than the MP5K.

Also, the accuracy difference is due to the MP5K having a shorter barrel than the MP5-N (which is a true fact from the source of all knowledge... Wikipedia)

Would that make you happy?

EDIT: Oh, and just so you know, remodelling at this stage is not an option because if we remodel everything from scratch we will never get this mod released. Modifications to an existing model is one thing, but remodelling would take too long and we would only end up redoing it again and again and again and again and... you get the idea.

He appears to be carrying an MP5 in the cameo image and rules.ini states that the weapon is an MP5, so we went with it.

We just love this guy with an MP5 don't we :D

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s206/dt...seal_ashore.jpg

Uh huh

I've spent two fucking days optimizing the model for the unwrapper. If anything's gonna be changed here is NOT the model. The clip only to make it closer to the concept art. And the name. Bye.

Guest EVA-251
Got critiqued for passing off essentially the exact same unit except with massively buffed stats.

Did I also mention that I also tried to pass off the extra damage with an explanation that the cannons were 155mms? In other words, written explanations for a massive difference in ability in a game where visuals are also extremely important in conveying firepower- well, they simply qualify as a cheap copout.

Also, never made mention of accuracy once.

Danpaul, I frankly could give a damn about "realism" in this regard. If I could weigh what I see is the issue here, it would be maybe 10% "realism" and the rest passing off "essentially the exact same thing visually with massively buffed stats with a really weak written explanation why."

But I don't expect you to pay attention to this, because refuting a realism argument in regards to Red Alert/2 is much easier.