Blog 159 (21/11/09)

Welcome to this week's blog.

Sorry it's a bit late again, I shan't make excuses. Anyway, read below for the good stuff!

<h3>New Alpha Changelist</h3>

danpaul88 released a new alpha build to the testers recently. This is the first build of AR that runs on Scripts 4.0! Here's the changelog and some screenies!

Welcome to Apocalypse Rising Alpha 8. This version is updates the scripts to version 4.0 (see below for more details on this), adds some new units and generally improves (hopefully...) overall balance.

Patch 1

Patch 1 has now been released and includes some minor bugfixes and also fixes broken maps for Alpha 8 patch users. Make sure you download this as you will need it to play on the FDS.

Alpha 8 changelog

Game Changes
  • Fixed issue where Technician was recieving GI weapons on promotion
  • Added presets, textures and interior models for new Allied Barracks
  • Added new Sentry Gun model
  • Added new Pillbox model
  • Increased speed of all infantry except Tesla Trooper by 10% (6.000 to 6.600)
  • Decreased health/armour of Mirage Tank from 420/420 to 280/280
  • Increased base weapon damage of Mirage Tank from 70 to 90
  • Removed non-R1 units from purchase menus (Mirage Tank, Apocalypse Tank, Taco Car)
  • Added Crazy Ivan character
  • Added Revolver weapon
  • Adjusted range of SEAL MP5 from 110/50 to 75/40 (actual/effective)
  • Adjusted range of SEAL MP5 secondary from 110/70 to 90/50 (actual/effective)
  • Adjusted base damage of SEAL MP5 from 16 to 15
  • Adjusted range of GI SMG from 80/30 to 60/30 (actual/effective)
  • Adjusted range of PPSh-41 from 90/30 to 65/35 (actual/effective)
  • Added purchase terminal icons for various units using RA2 cameos
  • Tweaked splash damage from AA Flak Track from 10 radius / 15 scaled damage to 5 radius 10 scaled damage
  • Tweaked splash damage from AA Flak Trooper from 10 radius / 7 scaled damage to 5 radius 4 scaled damage
  • Tweaked damage from R-Strafer from 14 to 40
  • Tweaked splash damage from R-Strafer from 6 radius / 80 scaled damage to 4 radius / 40 scaled damage
  • Added presets for Rocketeer sounds (files were already there, I just forgot to link them :p )
  • Increase base damage of Rhino Tank from 76.5 to 85
  • Reduced base damage of Grizzly Tank from 68 to 65
  • Removed Grav, GravSpray and Spray variants of Rhino and Grizzly tanks. None of the variants seemed particularly popular so we will be sticking with traditional Renegade 100% accuracy battle tanks for now.
  • Added Prism Tower

Map Changes
  • Added Sentry Guns to Soviet hill on Iceland
  • Updated road bridge texture on Rocky Pass
  • Updated Dune Patrol terrain... now with 100% more ore and killable buildings! (except refinery because miner scripts are not ready...)
  • Added prism towers to Iceland... try and attack the Allied base now :D

Script Changes
  • Updated scripts from 3.4.4 to 4.0
  • Fixed bug where units demoted to rookie (eg: Exited vehicles) did not properly reset their veterancy level parameter
  • Modification to repairing points for veterancy to allow turret type vehicles to grant repair points, where previously they did not due to having no driver.
  • Added dp88_buildingScripts_buildingController script
  • Added dp88_buildingScripts_weakpoint_destroyBuilding script
  • Turned on Sidebar system (again... lets hope it doesnt lolcrash everyone connecting to the FDS this time...)
  • Added dp88_AR_Rocketeer script - this is not the VTOL version we plan to have eventually, but a bugfix for the normal flying infantry scripts to allow flying/nonflying via keyhook (Q key by default) and fix the rebuy bugs.
  • Updated dp88_AR_PrismTower script to improve charging logic.
  • Added keyhook definitions for vehicle management dialog and chat history window, these keys default to the APB settings of ] and U.

Alpha 8 Patch 1 Changelog

• Updated wwconfig.exe from jonwil
  • Added missing textures for some interface stuff
  • Added temporary IFV purchase icon
  • Updated purchase terminal settings to properly show icons for warminer and chronominer
  • Fixes maps broken in A8 for patch users
  • Updated Flak Track physics settings (again... methinks LE didn't save them properly first time around)
  • Removed some redundant files

Aims of this build

• Look for script related bugs and report anything unusual script related, 4.0 is all new territory for AR and there could be lots of things broken that I have not noticed
  • Generally test unit balance and setup, as per usual
  • And, as always, have fun!

Disclaimer

Installers tested and verified to work on Windows XP Professional x86 (SP3) and Windows 7 Professional x64. If you have problems let me know and I will see what I can do.

Apocalypse Rising is unlikely to format your C: drive, however in the unlikely event of this occuring, please blame Bill Gates :)

Screenshot1.pngScreenshot2.png

The smooth edges will be back once 4.0 gets MSAA.

<h3>Grizzly Tank: Texture Near Completion</h3>

Guy with a wrench is applying the finishing touches to the Grizzly Tank. This one's nearly done!

The new testers will get their hands on this soon, which should be pretty good. Not much else to say on this one other than the metal squares with the black medical crosses on are being removed.

Grizzly-1.jpgGrizzlyy-1.jpg

The Grizzly Tank in it's Urban Camouflage.

<h3>Tokarev: Model Done</h3>

The Tokarev is complete and ready for unwrapping! Poggel has been working on this one for a while now and has really done a great job in touching up the last few bits. Expect to see this in the incapable hands of technicians everywhere once it has been textured and rigged!

Tokarev1-1.png

Tokarev TT: The Technician's Choice.

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've been doing university stuff mainly, but I found some time to play around with the C&C4 beta. It's definitely fun, but whether it'll fulfil the C&C name is still debatable.

cfehunter has been modelling an evil Pacman.

dtrngd has been scrutinising Occult and Teamwolf.

danpaul88 has been posting crashdumps.

Guy with a wrench has been modifying the Grizzly Tank's texture.

Also say hi to our new PR guy, Teamwolf!

Finally, I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate all of the new testers who were picked to help us out behind the scenes. Do us proud gentlemen!

<h3>We're Looking For...</h3>

We are looking for extra staff members to join our ranks!

At the moment we are looking for:

<h4>2d Artists</h4>

What we are looking for in a 2d artist, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • has spare time.
  • will be active in the foreseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is competent at creating their own 2d textures.
  • is over the age of 16 (we overlook this if you are what we assess to be a mature individual. This rule is known as the TruYuri rule).

PM me with your application stating why you would like to join the team along with any past experience. Please provide example textures, if you have any.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

ASTRO CHAIR!

<center><object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object></center>

<h3>To infinity...</h3>

...and beyond!

Guest AdrwIvrsn

The Grizzly... I want driving now! :drool:

I might personally edit the barrel to be the proper size of a 105mm caliber, since right now it looks like a 152mm one and I'm a notorious "realismfeg", but I think I'm too lazy to do it. However, I won't "correct" anything else to the tank because its awesome as it is.

Also, too bad that the w3d engine cannot use that kind of lighting at the moment, because it makes the TT look really sexy.

(Last note, the commercial with the armchair is completely authentic. They flew it up an altitude of 98,268 feet (30 kilometers))

Also, too bad that the w3d engine cannot use that kind of lighting at the moment, because it makes the TT look really sexy.

We may be able to make a shader.

Dont forget to make use of Normal Mapping to keep the surfaces from looking dull.

That's a given.

YES

ANGULAR

GRIZZLY

Disjointed, but an accurate representation of my feelings.

We listened on that one, since you guys were right.

Guest psych787

The Tokarev looks far too much like APB Tanya colts. If one or the other doesn't change, I'm going to expect scores of infantry to start falling in front of my 1337 techie sights.

• 3 weeks later...