TSR Nod Rocket soldier

Mainly so I won't forget to post them later on.

Right now Nod RS guy's rocket lawnchair has 2 firing modes.

Primary is a relatively slow anti-tank missile. Damage: 35 (shell), range: 90, effective range 90.

Secondary is a faster (and kinda drunk at times) AA missile. Damage: 90(anti-air), range: 90, effective range 90.

Such short AA range makes intercepting high-flying aircraft rather hard if not impossible. Obviously the range needs to be bigger than that. Nerf the damage if neccessary but considering the aircraft speed and damage output, AA really needs more reach to it. Previously it had 180m which was ok, just the damage felt too high.

However, there's a major issue with simply adding some range to it. From what I've learned game applies primary's effective range to both firing modes thus making AA range highly unreliable (borderline unusable). Missiles will also not lock on things outside of the effective range making dumb fire the only option, and even then rocket might as well just arch-away.

Suggestions:

1. Buff the AA range back to 180m

2. Nerf the damage so it won't be 2-3 hit kill on ORCA fighter. Poor flying pancake makers ORCA bombers had it even worse.

3. Make RS guy switch his weapons the same fasion Elite Cadre used to. Press Q/MClick to switch ammo between AA and AT.

4. Make RClick into scope on both weapon variants.

The rocket soldier needs some other changes, too. atm its an anti everything unit for 200 $.

The primary rocket should move 20 % slower to make it less effective against infantry, while still be effectful against huge targets like mechs and tanks. This current "rocket sniping" is insane.

Edited by Timeaua

^They already outrange them but they deal low-moderate damage due to GDI defences being super armoured.

Personally, I'm not bothered about what is changed except for the drunken rockets to be removed because it makes targeting air units (Jumpjets in particular) really difficult. Although then again it's been a while since this change has been in so I'm wondering whether it's an intentional change.

A note to consider: If you nerf the rocket soldiers damage towards infantry then it is only fair to equalise it with the disc thrower as that unit too is more or less anti-everything. (As laughable as it sounds, they deal good damage to aircraft if you manage to get a clear shot)

if client and server gets updated to 4.2 actually improves rocket homing alot (oh wait even by just updating client to 4.2 improves homing alot)

Edited by rackz

Won't the range buff make RRSoldier op when attacking defense turrets? Or does the missile not damage them enough.

Correct me if im wrong.

Range buff is only for anti-air mode. Basically, when you hit Q you'll get a different weapon (AA or AT version of a missile launcher). AA version of it deals next to 0 (if not 0) damage to the structures, infantry and land vehicles so that won't be a problem.

The RS needs a nerf vs infantry in my opinion. He never did that much damage to infantry in TS.

Very true. But I think that direct hits of AT weapons should still hurt infantry a lot but in turn splash shouldn't really do much.

What about this for the AT missile of the Nod RS?

- Nerf splash by a lot

- Remove tracking (obviously AA will still track) since GDI stuff is already slow. Only HMRLS might be a problem but then again, HMRLS isn't powerful enough to worry about that tbh.

- Buff up direct damage a little bit to compensate for the lack of splash (since vehicles also took said splash damage when hit)

- I think infantry already suffers quite a lot of damage from anti-tank direct hit warhead so I think no changes to armor are needed

This way RS might stand up for himself against some infantry but not too much.

• 1 month later...

- Remove tracking (obviously AA will still track) since GDI stuff is already slow. Only HMRLS might be a problem but then again, HMRLS isn't powerful enough to worry about that tbh.

What if we had primary fire be the regular tracking missile, alternate fire as a non-tracking missile, and then have Q switch you over to the AA missile? Or do we not want to bring back the Q thing?

It's a bit counter-intuitive... A total noob won't know he even has the AA option when he starts out playing because the game has no clear indication of it. If there were a tutorial map or hints that pop up on your first playthrough(s) this could work (imagine him switching rocket types and adjusting optics, a mode switch of sorts with a slight visual difference maybe?), but since that's not the case it would only add unnecessary complications.