Blog 85 (11/06/08)

Well as you guys know, last week I asked if you had any pressing questions that you wanted to ask. You guys replied with a healthy amount of questions that I have answered, but not in a textual format.

<h3>Answers to questions</h3>

So yeah, I got together with Lord_Kane and Eggman891 (who did the recording) and made a sort of podcast featuring all of your questions :D

So yes, every question is answered in this podcast, with questions asked by Lord_Kane and answered by me.

All I can really say is that I hope you enjoy and are satisfied with this feature ^_^

<h3>Shootable Projectiles</h3>

This has been a topic of much debate in the past, so I am pleased to announce that the first stage in the development of this new feature has been achieved.

V3 missiles can now be shot down mid-flight. If you don't believe me, take a look at the screenshots below.

Kudos to BogdanV for this awesome new devlopment! (You can kind of guess what kind of warhead preset we used by looking at the name of the missile as depicted in the images.)

ScreenShot27-1.pngScreenShot24-1.png

ScreenShot26-1.png

<h3>Desert Camo on Dune Patrol</h3>

Here are a few images of the desert flavoured Rhino Tank and V3 Launcher (V3 camo not final) on Dune Patrol, as well as a shot of the pillbox ingame (this is still rough in it's design, so feel free to comment. The sandbags are being changed). I took a few nice screenies with the new spectator character to wet your appetites for destruction.

ScreenShot16-1.pngScreenShot17-1.png

ScreenShot19-1.pngScreenShot21-1.png

ScreenShot22-1.png

Snow flavour next week!

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

My exams are over on the 20th! We shall rejoice (in the coming oblivion) then!

danpaul88 has been pretty busy recently, so changes to the testing client have slowed down for now, the summer will hopefully yield a lot of work from us all :)

dtrngd has been working on a new, original map called Freezing Straits.

Soviet_Deso offered to work on some new, 3d faction logos for us. Cheers man!

Saberhawk's cartoon-based shader is back on the cards. Expect graphics that look a little like TF2's appearing soon.

DannyCon passed the harrier model onto me. Apparently he has been incredibly busy lately.

<h3>OWA's Random Section</h3>

Natural Hallucinogen anyone?

Protip: Don't try this if you suffer from epilepsy or similar.

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

See the walls melting? That's trippy maaan :)

<h3>Curtains</h3>

I think we should drawn them now.

Good day.

Guest Allie29

Destroyable warheads, nice. That was one of the things I was worried about. I assume they will be tough to destroy without some sort of anti air weaponry (so tanks can't just shoot them and be invincible to V3s) and that AA defenses will shoot them while land defenses ignore them of course.

Guest pimpinitalian

I got two questions. First one is pretent 11 people are garrisoned in a building. If I was to destory the building all the people will die do I get 11 kills for that. If so will my tank level up to elite because I killed 11 people? Second one is will there be cloning vats. If so how will they work(like you control to people:] which would be cool) or just lower the cost for infanty?

Guest Xiphias6

Ah, thanks for answering my questions. The pronouciation was a bit off, but it does sound the same. I'm fine with it. :p

Can't wait to get into an IFV, hunt down V3 missiles for pointwhoring and kill the V3 finally. :D

Guest rs4015

any ideas on how the chronoshifting will work?

i was thinking the other day, y not change the chronolegionaire into an invisible fast moving vtol unit (after pressing q for example) for lets say, 10 seconds, and he will have to change back to a normal infantry.......ofcourse if ur still in the air,u will fall :s

this way, the range of shifting is limited, and depends on the person

so, he would have to shift twice in order to get to the enemy's base

and by pressing q again , he can reappear, u dont have to wait the whole 10 seconds.......but the reload time to use it again would be the same i guess

Guest cnc95fan

For the hovercraft, you should consider having a vehicle modeler model compartments inside, which will fit and x amount of y.. If you know what I mean. Say on the left hand side, 2 compartments just big enough to fit 2 Apoc tanks, then other compartments big enough to hold 5 infantry or.. whatever..

Edited by cnc95fan

That effect worked for like 10 secs... now i have two white box outlines burnt into my eyes!

Love how you've got the new warhead!!

Cool rhino camo!

Another great one!

Guest killertomato

The V3 missile is :D. AR/APB are the most innovative mods for Renegade.

Also, lol at the banner.

Edited by killertomato

Guest BaneOfSorrows

now that my eyes are slowly melting in my sockets, i'd like to say that was an epic blog...and i cant wait to go home and hear the podcast.

1) will AA defenses autofire at v3 rockets?

2) pillbox looks great already, but i suppose new sandbags will make it look even better =D

can't wait to play it :D

Guest jimmyboy

great another Hypocrite, look English people do not speak like that :D !!!!!!!!!!!!! were not snipers and spies of red alert 2 and we call them portaloos, btw your doing a great job with AR keep up the good work

Edited by jimmyboy

1) will AA defenses autofire at v3 rockets?

Normally, the AI will shoot it as the rocket belongs to team "mutant" which is allied/gdi and soviet/nod's common enemy. It was set up as mutant because you can't change the rocket's team after the team of the player that launched it (so that enemy AA will shoot it).

If I would've let it as team soviet, the problem would've been : "What happens if an allied soldier hijacks an V3 Launcher Truck ?" . Since the V3's team would've been soviet, if that missile would've been launched to the soviet base, then : 1. the AI would recognize it as its teammate and not shoot it. 2.if FF is OFF then it wouldn't have damaged nothing!

Thus, I've set the V3's team as Mutant so that regardless of who launches it, whatever the missile will hit, will be damaged/destroyed/killed and attacked by AA defenses.

The only issue here is that the rocket being Mutant, if you launch the V3 from your base, your AA will try to shoot it down, so you'll have to make sure that the rocket's path won't cross over your base.

Also, due to detonation timing issues, you wouldn't be able to launch the V3 on short trajectories and you'll also have a very small vertical tilt, allowing you to fire only at long trajectories.

Guest TomatoSlayer

Normally, the AI will shoot it as the rocket belongs to team "mutant" which is allied/gdi and soviet/nod's common enemy. It was set up as mutant because you can't change the rocket's team after the team of the player that launched it (so that enemy AA will shoot it).

If I would've let it as team soviet, the problem would've been : "What happens if an allied soldier hijacks an V3 Launcher Truck ?" . Since the V3's team would've been soviet, if that missile would've been launched to the soviet base, then : 1. the AI would recognize it as its teammate and not shoot it. 2.if FF is OFF then it wouldn't have damaged nothing!

This doesn't sound like a problem, it's perfect. After a rocket is fired, it shouldn't change teams in mid-flight anyway. Unless you're saying the rockets will permanently be tied with the team that fired it first, then, yeah, that's a problem.

Maybe the Tesla tank should fire through walls, maybe the walls can be given an effect that only appears the lighting is going over.

About the V2 mutant rockets, I hope no team hampering noobs try to kill it on you

Edited by ChAoS

Guest Glaedr

This doesn't sound like a problem, it's perfect. After a rocket is fired, it shouldn't change teams in mid-flight anyway. Unless you're saying the rockets will permanently be tied with the team that fired it first, then, yeah, that's a problem.

No, hes saying its permanetly tied to whatever team he sets it to. If its tied to soviets, then allies can not use v2s because allied defenses would shoot the rocket down, and it would do no damage unless FF was on.

Unless...

In scud storm, the planes and vehicles changed models depending on who entered them. The aurora bomber became an alpha aurora, for example, when the SW general entered it. Maybe you could do something like that, two different presets of the V2, an allied and a soviet, and it changes between the two depending on which team enters it.

Edited by Glaedr