Blog 85 (11/06/08)

Guest GummiBear

had an idea for garrison buildings ....maybe ceiling turrents could spawn to the out side to aid the inf. inside ...and depending on how big the building is depends on how many turrents spawn.

then I think it would be better that some mannable heavy machine guns spawns in the windows that way if you were a MG man it would be vice to man such one but if you were a inf with some sort of rocket or other non MG weapon you could decide whether to man a MG or use your own weapon to kill what is outside

then I think it would be better that some mannable heavy machine guns spawns in the windows that way if you were a MG man it would be vice to man such one but if you were a inf with some sort of rocket or other non MG weapon you could decide whether to man a MG or use your own weapon to kill what is outside

that actally is a better idea...i didnt think think it would be possabile though

Guest GummiBear

that actally is a better idea...i didnt think think it would be possabile though

why not? have a some sort of trigger make the spawn at certain areas and you have seen mannable defences before in Renegade, I don't see how that should be harder than spawning AI turrets really...

Guest rs4015

why not? have a some sort of trigger make the spawn at certain areas and you have seen mannable defences before in Renegade, I don't see how that should be harder than spawning AI turrets really...

i can see it happening , u would have gun emplacements all round the building, so when it is shot, u wont get hurt. and if the enemy turns around the building, u wud have to exit the gun emplacement and enter the one on the side the enemy is on. coz AI turrets can either suck.. or maybe over powered, but if u make it player controlled, then one player can control one at a time, so the higher the number of people in a building, the more manned turrets there r

Guest DXR_13KE

i am not very pleased with the "mutant" missile.... cant you guys change the missile elegance when a certain team enters? maybe make 2 rockets, one for each team, and when X team enters X rocket is fired.

everything else is great!

Guest GummiBear

i can see it happening , u would have gun emplacements all round the building, so when it is shot, u wont get hurt. and if the enemy turns around the building, u wud have to exit the gun emplacement and enter the one on the side the enemy is on. coz AI turrets can either suck.. or maybe over powered, but if u make it player controlled, then one player can control one at a time, so the higher the number of people in a building, the more manned turrets there r

well wasn't the point in RA2 with going inside a building that you men couldn't get hurt unless they kill the building?

even with your own gun you would have to go to the other side, or you could have some people standing on either side of the building?

The more people you put in a building in RA2 the better firepower it got

see... it all fits with RA2

Guest rs4015

well ya, but im kina having difficulty imagining how u can have the soldiers fire one way, and not get any shots from outside....is it possible to make a one way plane?, so u can shoot one way, but nothing can come back to hit u

Guest GummiBear

well ya, but im kina having difficulty imagining how u can have the soldiers fire one way, and not get any shots from outside....is it possible to make a one way plane?, so u can shoot one way, but nothing can come back to hit u

I am pretty sure that should be possible yes not sure though, though if you go for the manned guns well you man it and you have to kill the gun first to kill the char after so you could just make the gun invincible if you want it like that then

or you could give the turrets some sort of IFV like script.

wait what ?....make it so you cant hurt the guys in the buildings ....i understand makeing the game close to RA2 but thats just too much....that would suck ...i get giveing the players in the building more fire power but they should still be able to be killed ...if not who would go up against a building like that without a tank or a couple of tanks. i belive the people inside the buillding should be able to be killed ...but it needs to be a very hard task to do.

Guest GummiBear

well then bring a tank and remember if there is only one person in there you can just stand on the opposite side of the building that he is on and if he goes to that side you can move around the building too... but this is all my idea and I don't know what the team intends on this

Guest Kakashi

If they are killable from the outside I see the sniperfest going on every time GB is chosen for the allies.

Edited by Kakashi

And you think invincible snipers IN a building is not a problem for the Soviets? Personally I would prefer to be able to kill snipers in buildings than to be sieged in by invincible snipers in buildings.

Guest Kakashi

Well if the only way to shoot out of a building were pre-assigned MG stands you wouldn't have that problem. Not to mention that you'd need four snipers (one for each side) to cover that building efficiently at all...

Pre-placed MG stands are a possibility, but if you wanted to fire out of one of the windows you'd have to shoot around the side of where the MG is placed, since it would block the window. Not to mention that it is impracticale for smaller buildings i.e portaloo.

Guest r34ch

And you think invincible snipers IN a building is not a problem for the Soviets? Personally I would prefer to be able to kill snipers in buildings than to be sieged in by invincible snipers in buildings.

Yea i agree about the sniper problem, but, in RA2, wasnt it possible for any enemy inf to simply storm a building and clear it out? (perhaps im thinking Generals) I was almost certain SEALs could storm a building.

EDIT: How about building script zones? Basically stick script zones in buildings that gives all infantry x2 armour when inside the zone? Perhaps not visible to the players though. This way a sniper can sit at a window and snipe, but bullets and tank explosions will not hurt them as much to represent the fact they are in cover.

Only bug is when two enemy soldiers inside the zone fight each other, but i see that as a small compromise and im sure something could be worked out

Edited by r34ch

Guest Kakashi

There was no building cleaning in RA2. If you wanted to clear a building you blew it up with V3s or Prisms. In Generals you purchased a 1000$ upgrade and bought a 200$ unit that cleaned a whole city for you. In TW you don't even have to upgrade the unit to clean garrisons.

For infantry units cleaning out buildings, whould it be possible to give infantry a "gas bomb beacon", that basically is placed at a trigger zone on the outside wall of the building and forces enemy units out after "so and so many" seconds if not defused by a friendly unit and makes it impossible to get back in again for "so and so many" seconds. That would mean if you manage to get close you can clean the building, but you don't automatically kill the enemy in it and you don't have to kill the building for it.

Edited by Kakashi

Guest DXR_13KE

how about invincible (the bullets don't impact it) and invisible IFV'ish turrets that can go around the building by way of the A and D keys? and to clear the building you have to destroy or severely damage it? kind of like it happened in RA2.

Edited by DXR_13KE

Garrisonable buildings are tactical advantages on maps once your team gets them, but they are vulnerable to tank assaults, and weak against long ranged artyllery units. You don't need to clear them out. Once a building is at red hp, the units inside might wanna come out, otherwise they will die with the building.

Guest Kakashi

Well it's been asked how infantry should be able to deal with infantry in the buildings.

Personally I think we should keep it easy and say: No rockets fireing out of the buildings, no snipers snipering from inside the building and lots of MG stands that act as means to attack the outside world and you're nearly invincible when figthing inf head on (but a way to sneak close and attack from inside some sort of minimum range should be possible). I think that's similar wo what you mean.

The only problem with that is how it possibly plays out on inf only maps or when your War Factory is down... Well just going around the buildings should not be a problem either.

Edited by Kakashi

Guest GummiBear

Only bug is when two enemy soldiers inside the zone fight each other, but i see that as a small compromise and im sure something could be worked out

ehmm... I think the team said somewhere that once you garrison a building only players of your team will be able to enter

Personally I think we should keep it easy and say: No rockets fireing out of the buildings, no snipers snipering from inside the building and lots of MG stands that act as means to attack the outside world and you're nearly invincible when figthing inf head on (but a way to sneak close and attack from inside some sort of minimum range should be possible). I think that's similar wo what you mean.

The only problem with that is how it possibly plays out on inf only maps or when your War Factory is down... Well just going around the buildings should not be a problem either.

inf only maps? well how many inf only maps you think gonna feature garrisonable buildings? and after War Factory is down well maybe use some planes, and if your airforce command is down too... well it is kinda your (or your teams) problem you let them take both down

ehmm... I think the team said somewhere that once you garrison a building only players of your team will be able to enter

would be kinda cool if a spy could sneak into one of enemy buildings and kill the inf. inside :D

Guest Xiphias6

I think mounted MGs with the IFV-like turret script or something will do for the structures, but for buildings like the Portaloo, can't you just have an invisible turret or something on top/somwhere else firing at the target?

Since in RC1, we'll have tech until radar level, right?

I'm kinda concerned with the Harriers/Black Eagle scripts that make them blow up unless on the Airforce Command...it is RA2ish, but kinda when you need to navigate around structures/hills/trees etc. etc...

I think there will be a delay before the jet explodes, but it kinda might be hard if you're trying to land and other jet on the pad moves below you, then...

Or when you've bought a Harrier, and you're urgent to purchase an advanced infantry class, the Harrier MUST land on a pad and take up a slot etc. etc...

Edited by Xiphias6