Tiberian Dawn: The First Strike

Bfranx

Tiberian Dawn: The First Strike is a free, standalone, first and third-person shooter based on Westwood Studios' classic real-time strategy, Command & Conquer. Control one of the many units from the original game, and defeat your enemies in an epic base-oriented combat environment built on the beautiful Unreal Engine 4.

You can view our page here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/tiberian-dawn-the-first-strike

Logo Designer

We are looking for individuals who are capable of creating logos for our game, our company, and our website.

3D Artist, Unwrapper

We are looking for individuals who are capable of creating 3D models and/or preparing 3D models for texturing and/or animation.

Programmer

We are looking for individuals who can help create the backbone of our game. The game is going to be on Unreal Engine 4 so experience with C++ is required.

Texture Artist

We are looking for someone who can texture models that have been unwrapped and/or unwrap them if they are not already.

Concept Artist

We are looking for individuals who can take references from the original Command & Conquer and make them into concepts that can be more easily used by our 3D artists.

Please keep in mind that we are not accepting freelance applications.

This is an excellent opportunity to improve your overall skill and expand your portfolio for use in future applications. You will be appropriately credited for any of your works that we use.

If your application is accepted then you will be given all the time that you deem necessary to complete your project, but a weekly check in is required unless an acceptable reason is given.

Help make our dream and reality and bring a true Tiberian Dawn experience to the FPS world!

Thank you for your consideration, and we look forward to working with you!

Sincerely,

Bfranx and the Firestorm Productions Team

as Killing You said! the concepts are really awesome and i like that you guys take care on the community!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <----

Well the community is going to be playing it, so their opinion on the game's development is very important.

By the way Killing You, I remember you saying something about working on sounds for our game when you got everything set up on your end. Does that offer still stand?

Indeed it does. Mostly just a few things here and there that I made long ago. Originally they were intended to be enhanced Tiberian Dawn sounds for Renegade, but since I don't feel like releasing it as a fan pack, you're welcome to have them. Heck, I still have a few things rolling around in my head and would be happy to fix those up for you.

The Chemwarrior needs some green on him somewhere. Maybe a Green biohazard patch on this uniform?

The entire flamethrower will be green when we actually model and texture him. In hindsight, it should have been included in the concept, but I was more concerned with showing off the character rather than the weapon.

EDIT: I've relayed the changes, it would probably be easier for the texture artist to have it all consolidated into one reference. Expect to see the updated version soon.

Edited by Bfranx

Get used to waiting. This has been "in development" since 2010 and has shown very few signs of progressing since then. There's a thread on the Renegade forums where all of us basically gave up trying to help this guy after many months of trying to reason with him.

Edited by Aircraftkiller

Get used to waiting. This has been "in development" since 2010 and has shown very few signs of progressing since then. There's a thread on the Renegade forums where all of us basically gave up trying to help this guy after many months of trying to reason with him.

And I'm hoping that history will not repeat itself, the collective "reasoning with" I received on that forum was little more than childish berating.

Bfranx I actually can't wait for this.

Well if things continue to go as smoothly as they have been, you won't have to wait very long.

Edited by Bfranx

Pretty much anyone who reads that thread will come to the same conclusion that the rest of us did over the course of five years: You don't have the manpower or skills required to get this done. I wrote a bunch of helpful information for you and took quite a bit of time out of my days to try and get you to understand what steps to take and you basically refused every time.

Remember when I told you to get your team's work posted on Polycount so that people with experience could critique it and help you improve? That's one of many things that never happened.

Pretty much anyone who reads that thread will come to the same conclusion that the rest of us did over the course of five years: You don't have the manpower or skills required to get this done. I wrote a bunch of helpful information for you and took quite a bit of time out of my days to try and get you to understand what steps to take and you basically refused every time.

Remember when I told you to get your team's work posted on Polycount so that people with experience could critique it and help you improve? That's one of many things that never happened.

False. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135425

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133502

After posting on Polycount myself I told all of the 3D and 2D artists on our team to take their work to Polycount because it would be better than having me relay the critiques from one to the other.

"If you haven't already, I would recommend you take your work to polycount.com and gather some opinions on your work. The users there can be very harsh at times, but they give good advice.

This is just a suggestion, not a requirement, but if you want to learn more, polycount is one of the good places to go."

Also, I listened to and respected your opinion and advice whenever you gave it.

Edited by Bfranx

I stand corrected

However, my point remains the same: Stop posting art here and post it over there so you can have your artists learn from professionals. Most of the people here aren't going to tell you what you need to know. They'll tell you "this is the best thing I've ever seen" and that's pretty much it. I didn't grow much as an artist inside of C&C's community. I grew a lot more when I went to college and became a professional in my field. I've learned so much more from other artists.

If you're serious about your work, you will get your team to do what I'm saying. Otherwise you're going to produce mediocre work. Did you notice how unreceptive PC was to the images you posted? Imagine that on launch day, if you ever get there. Imagine that multiplied by many hundreds of people.

If my intention was to learn how to improve the quality of our work, I would have had our artists post here themselves.

In addition to keeping everyone updated on our progress and trying to recruit new members, I'm here to gauge the response of the community and to get advice on how to make our assets look more like their C&C counterparts.

That being said, I will press our artists to take their work to Polycount so that they can learn more about what they're doing.

Edited by Bfranx

I'm not sure if this has been talked about but...

If I were you I'd do load outs for this. With only 4 or 5 inf. units, you could have the players spawn as a default unit and then buy the upgrades for them. Would save a lot of time.

Do you mean like how you spawn as a rifle soldier in APB/TSR and have to purchase another infantry unit in order to play as it?

Or do you mean actually buying the weapons for the character you're playing as?

Why are you *still* "gauging the response of the community" after five years? I don't even know how to respond to you anymore. Nothing gets through.

What are you talking about? I'm still "gauging the response of the community," because we're still making things for the game. This game exists for the sake of nostalgia, so their opinions on the things that we make should be important. But like I just said, I'm going to press our artists to take their work to Polycount so they can improve their skills.

Am I not allowed to have our artists post on Polycount while I post here? I'm confused as to what isn't getting through.

Edited by Bfranx

I mean it as buying your load out. That way you can have one or two different character models and you'll only have to worry about modeling the weapons and outfit add-ons.

Well since the Minigunner is essentially the base for every unit we planned on using his model with face and equipment changes for different classes.

I should probably think more into what we'll be doing in regards to the characters.

Everyone here has valid points. I will not comment on what I do not understand but I will say that much. Now lets "return flow of control" to Bfranx now please, this is his thread, about his project. You are free to disagree with his leadership style, comment positively or negatively on his teams' work etc, but lets not let it get any farther than this outside a PM please. Thanks guys!