Just thought about a Tiberian Dawn Mod...

First of all, that just my thoughs about a mod, not that i plan something in that way. And forgive me, when my grammar or english skills overall sucks as hell.

Maybe somebody know at a few times a tiberium dawn mod was in the discussion and never became reality. "BUT YOU HAVE RENEGADE AS A FPS GAME THAT TRANSFERS TD INTO 3D!!!" - thats true but not in that way what i imagine. Renegades placement in the timeline is first more like at the end of the first tiberium war and have more developed units, weapons and structures and seems like more a futuristic skin for tiberium dawn. and also most of the time its happen in america so thats why maybe many things looks so different in the game (maybe for european and african missions, the battalions of gdi and Nod use slight other versions of their tech)

so imagine a westwood Tiberium dawn like 1995 in 3D. we have serveral things we could use it for.

first the ground would be "A Path Beyond and renegade. these games (or more called that one "game") have everything to use all units and mechanics from TD. Nothing complex like chronosphere tech or mind control our sub-terrain units. most of the units are quite similiar in apb =

light tanks allies = LT Nod, Mid Tank Allies = MT GDI, Mammoth Soviets = Mam GDI, APC is quite the same too from the model perspective and destroyer boats also like the gdi gunboat.

also we have serveral inspirations what we can use. ages ago in the early renegade mod era, sole survivor released and was a mod to capture the "sole survivor" feeling into renegade. if you want a short look https://www.nexusmods.com/commandandconquerrenegade/mods/43
every unit and structure in that game looks way more TD like. also the Virtual Westwood Museum had a few units that looks way more like TD
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-virtual-westwood-museum-mod
also a guy that try to make another TD mod has a few nice models https://web.archive.org/web/20150205011258/http://3dholmes.com/images/project/ccnz/
and nyerguds had a sweet collection of renders from TD http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncimg/img_archive/
we could even have a special map where you must defend the prototype of the gdi powersuit, since in TSR walkers are a thing.

so the problem right here is not that much the coding, it's more the artist stuff and mapping. we know W3D Hub lacks of 3D Modelers, Mappers and Texture Artists. Thats why we don't have cruisers and migs in APB or a faster progress on the models in RA2AR :/ for the maps you "could" use a lot of Renegade, APB and TSR Maps but first i don't know if the groups of W3D share stuff and second the game wouldn't have unique maps to play. Also we would need alot of free people since all teams have enough to do with their own projects.

i'm not a proffessional 3D artist, i've just started with a little bit 3D modding in dragonball xenoverse 2 and can't even make textures :/ i only dream about if would be nice to have a real TD Mod for renegade.
it's sad that many mods like scud storm for generals or the 2-3 tiberium wars mods are just fast builded mods with the 3D models of the rts games and are mostly dead in development (despite it also exists tiberium twilight maps, i think a real mod about that would be interesting to play) and RA3 got only one or two Renegade mods that died realy quickly :( so only W3D hub had fucking great renegade mods and even a Dune Mod!. You guys are just awesome.

3 hours ago, Metaridley said:

light tanks allies = LT Nod,

The Tib Dawn Nod light tank is based on an M2 Bradley.

I always wanted a TD version of Renegade since I always play TD online and admire the cutscene/manual render units, weapons and even the uniforms.

In my opinion, TD doesn't have enough interesting material to work with. It is all quite generic in terms of units and gameplay, and very much 'been there, done that'.

If I look at the C&C games left without a project running on the W3D platform, the only one with the potential to stand out from the existing projects in both graphics and gameplay would be a C&C3 inspired one. I know I'd have fun creating assets for three separate biomes (blue/yellow/red zone concept), and there was enough unit variation there to allow for the creation of two fun teams to play by cherry-picking the best of them.

That said, I would personally most likely not focus on it being C&C mode in the traditional sense... Again, strong case of been there, done that. I'd opt to go for a gameplay focused on alternating objectives that teams compete over, mission-style. A bit more 'open world-ish' and a large degree of randomness in what is available to fight over. Just my 2c.

Edited by Raap

The old sole survivor mod has a lot of TD inspired models. At this point were probably not going to see a TD mod. I had contemplated asking the CnC3 TD mod team if I could rig up some of it's assets in apb to make a .pkg map or something but I just don't have the time.

• 2 weeks later...