[GAME OVER] PokeMafia Generation I

Jeod

Just now, Jeod said:

But Shade would have won if he hadn't used Ember as his first move. ;) It's useful to do the math yourself for each move before posting your turn, especially since base stats are copied straight from the game. There's a certain strategy in battling in this game, just as in the video games.

But then again, you had me use tackle like a n00b, which I'd not have done for real :v

2 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

So, how are critical hits determined?

Modifier =  (Crit(0,1) + STAB) * Type

My calculator just rolls between a 0 and a 1 each time I click the button. It doesn't really make that much of a difference unless you have STAB and Type bonus. If you do, your Modifier comes out to 5 which gets multiplied to your initial damage. That can be scary.

Damage = ((2.4 * 40 * (50/50) /50) + 2) * ((1 + 1.5) * 2)

That's if Squirtle's water gun had rolled a critical. It comes out to 19 DMG, and Charmander starts with 39 HP. Three hits of that would end you, and it would only be worse with evolutions.

1 minute ago, Jeod said:

Damage = ((2.4 * 40 * (50/50) /50) + 2) * ((1 + 1.5) * 2)

That's if Squirtle's water gun had rolled a critical. It comes out to 19 DMG, and Charmander starts with 39 HP. Three hits of that would end you, and it would only be worse with evolutions.

Critical hits might be too common at a 50% chance, but that's a finer balancing issues that you'd only really be capable of determining after doing some in depth testing.

Edited by Shade939

Just now, Shade939 said:

Critical hits might be too common at a 50% chance, but that's a finer balancing issues that you'd only really be capable of determining after doing some in depth testing.

Well, they're more complex in the video games. I opted for a simplified version. 50% is a nice tradeoff for the maximum multiplier being only 5.

7 minutes ago, Jeod said:

Well, they're more complex in the video games. I opted for a simplified version. 50% is a nice tradeoff for the maximum multiplier being only 5.

To be fair, that does basically amount to a 1/2 chance that every single attack you make can do twice as much damage.

You might add a few more zeros into the calculation for it to roll between for critical hits just to lower the chance of someone losing just because of bad luck.

Modifier =  (Crit(0,0,0,0,1) + STAB) * Type

16 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

To be fair, that does basically amount to a 1/2 chance that every single attack you make can do twice as much damage.

You might add a few more zeros into the calculation for it to roll between for critical hits just to lower the chance of someone losing just because of bad luck.

Modifier =  (Crit(0,0,0,0,1) + STAB) * Type

image.thumb.png.f7ea1d08305fb4acf1d9536bf0ce3e6e.png

Done, thanks for your feedback!

image.thumb.png.340ce4712c1c54629439a54708a64c40.png

Just now, Shade939 said:

@OrangeP47 so who gets the useless Magikarp then? Which doesn't evolve into an overpowered Gyarados...

Honestly, since it was mostly done for us, yet I won the simulation, I'll settle for your avatar just being magikarp, rather than either of us having to take it on.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

Honestly, since it was mostly done for us, yet I won the simulation, I'll settle for your avatar just being magikarp, rather than either of us having to take it on.

No, you lost since you started off with a water type move. :v

Just now, Shade939 said:

No, you lost since you started off with a water type move. :v

On 8/15/2018 at 7:20 PM, Jeod said:

The following is a *proper* battle simulation:

Shade939 sent out Charmander (39 HP)!

OrangeP47 sent out Squirtle (44 HP)!

Turn 1

Reveal hidden contents

Charmander has the higher Speed stat, so it goes first.

Charmander used Ember!

·         Damage = (((2.4 * Power * Atk/Def) / 50) + 2) * Modifier

o    Modifier = (Crit(0,1) + STAB) * Type

·         Damage = ((2.4 * 40 * (50/50) /50) + 2) * ((0 + 1.5) * 0.5)

o    Ember is a special fire type move, so we use the Special stat for each Pokémon. In this case both of their Special stats equal 50.

o    Fire is weak against Water, so Type is 0.5.

o    Ember has a 10% chance (10/100) of burning the target. Failure after a roll.

·         Squirtle took 2 DMG (42 HP left)!

Squirtle used Bite!

·         Damage = ((2.4 * 60 * (48/43) /50) + 2) * ((1 + 1) * 1)

o    Bite is a physical normal type move, so we use Squirtle’s Atk stat and Charmander’s Def stat

o    Bite has a 10% chance of causing the target to flinch. Fail after a roll.

·         Damage = 10

A critical hit!

Charmander took 10 DMG (29 HP left)!

Turn 2

Reveal hidden contents

Charmander used Leer!

·         Status modifier = (Base * 1.5 – Base)

o    Target is Squirtle, so we use Squirtle’s base defense stat

o    (65 * 1.5 – 65) = 33 (after rounding)

o    65 – 33 = 32

Squirtle’s Defense fell!

Squirtle used Water Gun!

·         Damage = ((2.4 * 40 * (50/50) /50) + 2) * ((0 + 1.5) * 2)

o    Water Gun is a special water type move

o    Water is super effective against Fire, so Type is 2.0

Charmander took 11 DMG (18 HP left)!

Turn 3

Reveal hidden contents

Charmander used Scratch!

·         Damage = ((2.4 * 40 * (52/32) /50) + 2) * ((1 + 1) * 1)

o    Scratch is a physical normal type attack

o    Remember that Squirtle now has a lower defense

A critical hit!

Squirtle took 10 DMG (31 HP left)!

Squirtle used Water Gun!

Charmander took 11 DMG (7 HP left)!

Turn 4

Reveal hidden contents

Charmander used Slash!

·         Damage = ((2.4 * 70 * (52/32) /50) + 2) * ((1 + 1) * 1)

o    Slash is a physical normal type attack

o    It always scores a critical hit

Squirtle took 14 DMG (17 HP left)!

Squirtle used Tackle!

·         Now that we have a good grip on the damage calculations, let’s factor in accuracy (see AttackDex for accuracy stats). Tackle has 90% accuracy, so let’s roll. Any number higher than 90 and the move misses. We rolled a 91.

Squirtle’s Attack Missed!

Turn 5

Reveal hidden contents

Charmander used Slash!

·         Damage = ((2.4 * 70 * (52/32) /50) + 2) * ((1 + 1) * 1)

o    Slash is a physical normal type attack

o    It always scores a critical hit

Squirtle took 14 DMG (3 HP left)!

Squirtle used Water Gun!

Charmander took 11 DMG (0 HP left)!

Charmander fainted!

:v

So, my goal is to start this game on August 26th. If you've been on the fence about signing up or feel like skipping this one for whatever reason, shoot me a PM! I'd been thinking about hosting a Pokemon themed game for a while now and it's been requested by Sunflower and OrangeP47, so I figured why not--especially after Star Wars Mafia made such an inspiration. But even though it's been on my mind for some time, I only started building it last week. If it doesn't look appealing or fun, let me know why and I can add some additional mechanics in exchange for a delay in game start.

On 8/11/2018 at 1:30 PM, Jeod said:

*Note on evolution: Base Tier Pokemon all need 2 Victory Points (VP) to evolve, and Tier 1 Pokemon all need 3 VP to evolve.

I'll ask for some clarification on what qualifies as a Base Tier vs. a Tier 1 Pokemon.

12 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

I'll ask for some clarification on what qualifies as a Base Tier vs. a Tier 1 Pokemon.

A base tier will always need 2 VP to evolve, regardless of the strength of the Pokemon. A Tier 1, like Ivysaur, will need 3 VP to evolve into Venusaur. I wanted to simplify the evolution system and let everyone choose Pokemon based on their movesets and favorites rather than the ones that are easiest to evolve.

16 minutes ago, Jeod said:

A base tier will always need 2 VP to evolve, regardless of the strength of the Pokemon. A Tier 1, like Ivysaur, will need 3 VP to evolve into Venusaur. I wanted to simplify the evolution system and let everyone choose Pokemon based on their movesets and favorites rather than the ones that are easiest to evolve.

That's a pretty big disparity based on how many evolved forms a Pokemon has though.

If I take a Bulbasaur then to get to it's final evolution I'd need 5 VP vs. if I picked a Magikarp or other Pokemon with only one evolved forms I'd only need to spend 2 VP on it.

It might be easier to base it on how many evolved forms a Pokemon has, so 2 VP for evolution if it has more than one evolution stage, and 3 VP if it only has one stage.

Edited by Shade939

9 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

That's a pretty big disparity based on how many evolved forms a Pokemon has though.

If I take a Bulbasaur then to get to it's final evolution I'd need 5 VP vs. if I picked a Magikarp or other Pokemon with only one evolved forms I'd only need to spend 2 VP on it.

It might be easier to base it on how many evolved forms a Pokemon has, so 2 VP for evolution if it has more than one evolution stage, and 3 VP if it only has one stage.

Yeah, perhaps. I intend to do some final balancing after signups are closed and everyone has their rosters made.

29 minutes ago, TheIrishman said:

I'll sign up, I'm crying a bit on the inside that I can't use Snorlax, my lineup was going to be all the lazy pokemon to match myself :b

Haha, that's funny cause I was thinking of going full pokegirl and doing a lineup full of cute pokemon. But I ended up just picking most of my faves (some are cute!)

9 hours ago, TheIrishman said:

I'll sign up, I'm crying a bit on the inside that I can't use Snorlax, my lineup was going to be all the lazy pokemon to match myself ?

Sure you weren't thinking of Munchlax?