Blog 81 (14/05/08)

Welcome to this week's blog. This week is a busy week! My first exam is on friday, so wish me luck!

<h3>Alpha 5</h3>

The testers have had their hands on AR Alpha 5 this week and they are really enjoying it.

The main aim of this build is to get the speed and damage of the vehicles right.

Currently the Grizzly Tank is faster than the IFV and the Flak Track, the Rhino Tank crawls at a snails pace and there are a few things wrong concerning how each vehicle feels weightwise. But don't worry, the final release is going to be done up really nicely for you to all enjoy. The testers are already saying that, once balanced, this game is going to be awesome fun. So I'd be happy to make a bet saying that the first release is going to be a cracker!

Here are some nice pictures of some ingame action!

tacopark.jpg

U4-1210602432.pngU4-1210602339.png

U4-1210602224.pngScreenShot55.png

ScreenShot54.pngScreenShot50-2.png

ScreenShot47-2.pngScreenShot46.png

ScreenShot43.pngScreenShot40.png

<h3>Conferance</h3>

We'll be having a staff conferance on saturday concerning the mod, so if you have any issues of concern that you want us to discuss during that, post those concerns up and you'll recieve some ansers next week.

Here is a list of the topics we will be discussing (subject to change).

Topics:

-sounds when buying vehicles

-IFV changes

-Harrier, sup?

-per infantry kill sounds

-tank firing, animations, muzzle flashes

-die and move sounds for rocketeer when flying/on ground

-speed of basic infantry?

-website info

-pillbox

So yeah, let us know what you think!

<h3>Icon Judging</h3>

The judging has begun!

We are using a points system to mark the icons, just like this...

Vote for the threee you like the best, your first preference being worth 3 points, your second worth 2 points and your third worth 1 point.

So heres an example:

3 points #1G

2 points #4B

1 point #5A

Good luck to everyone who entered, the results may be posted up in the next blog, but otherwise it shall be two weeks from now.

By the way, do you guys want to see each entry's points displayed, or just the top 3?

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I have my first exam on friday. It's computing so it's going to be tricky, but I'll plow through it :D I've been doing some voice overs for various infantry units which you may get to hear in APB or AR, so stay tuned for those.

A shout goes out to my friends; Ross, Dave, Grogsy, Huw, Shannon, Netty, George, Kage, Charley, Berni, Aid, Gill and anyone who I've forgotten! You guys rock!

A shout out also goes to cfehunter who has been working on various things for the mod and is going to have a go at the Grizzly Tank again next (since the first model went bad).

<h3>OWA's Random Section</h3>

My old english teacher sings opera style. How cool is that?

<center><object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-491sUvbEQ&hl=en"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-491sUvbEQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-491sUvbEQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object></center>

<h3>RUN AWAY</h3>

holy_icon.jpg

Guest K1llZ0ne

%'s please, oh and sorry guys for the huge list, it's all my fault :D

and it won't be awesome fun, it will be Frigging AWESOME fun :p

Guest Glaedr

GL on exams OWA, i have exams friday, monday and wednesday, so i know how you feel.

Edited by Glaedr

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

nice blog, and yeah AR is gonna be freaking awesome, trust me, and just list the 3 best icons

and LOL@english teacher

"no, no, no, don't put it on youtube"

I wonder what he gonna say once he finds out...

Guest Deadpikle

No, the yellow mirage tank beam does not uber kill apoc tanks.

Still working on effects, remember that ;D

Anyway nice blog. I don't get the "RUN AWAY" part though :<

nice blog, and yeah AR is gonna be freaking awesome, trust me, and just list the 3 best icons

and LOL@english teacher

"no, no, no, don't put it on youtube"

I wonder what he gonna say once he finds out...

He already found out. Apparently he wasn't best pleased with the guy who took the video.

It's a Worms referance.

Its more than likely the "Holly Grenade". Very fun game to play on a rainy day.

Anyway, good blog as always, but about the video, you're quite a lucky guy because if that would've happened in my country, the teacher's council would've been called and severe disciplinary actions would've been taken.

OWA there are pretty many dudes out there still learning english (including me), don't show them wrong grammar..

correct spell is

conferEnce

referEnce

tis a bad joke, half year ago I used the wrong spelling in a test (thanks to one of the blogs) on English lesson and I received a worse mark than expected, should NOT happen with anyone else..

Guest Xiphias6

Ah, awesome blog as usual. lol @ video

Hmm, I've got some questions...

Can tank shells/explosive weapons destroy Sandbags?

Will GGI barricades remain there forever unless destroyed somehow?

It'll be great if the Harrier/BE was added in RC1 too, but will they function like the Helos? It'll be strange though...if only we could do a barrel roll, lol.

Will elite infantry/units continue healing, even after battle damage? It'll mean no refills but it's a bit...

No, the yellow mirage tank beam does not uber kill apoc tanks.

Still working on effects, remember that ;D

huh the mirage tank shoots beams ???? is that how it was in RA2? :D

Guest Docgrit74
Will elite infantry/units continue healing, even after battle damage? It'll mean no refills but it's a bit...
I hope so since the self heal was the best of the elite abilities in RA2.

Guest Glaedr

huh the mirage tank shoots beams ???? is that how it was in RA2? :D

No, its just a placeholder from what ive been told. In RA2 the mirage tanks shot a shell that had no trail but made a nice explosion effect when it hit a tank. Thanks to the no trail, it was hard to tell which tree just shot at you.

Anyway, good blog as always, but about the video, you're quite a lucky guy because if that would've happened in my country, the teacher's council would've been called and severe disciplinary actions would've been taken.

I'm not that lucky, since I haven't been attending that school for 2 years now. It was one of my friends that is two years younger than me that linked me to it. I had that teacher though and he was fairly awesome.

OWA there are pretty many dudes out there still learning english (including me), don't show them wrong grammar..

correct spell is

conferEnce

referEnce

tis a bad joke, half year ago I used the wrong spelling in a test (thanks to one of the blogs) on English lesson and I received a worse mark than expected, should NOT happen with anyone else..

Spelling isn't grammar.

Seplling is getting a word wrong, like you have explained.

Grammar is getting a sentence structure wrong, for example "I are cool" is an example of bad grammar.

But yeah, those words have always been the ones I tend to mis-spell. You don't need to be able to type english to be able to learn it :D

My spelling is the least of your worries.

Ah, awesome blog as usual. lol @ video

Hmm, I've got some questions...

Can tank shells/explosive weapons destroy Sandbags?

Will GGI barricades remain there forever unless destroyed somehow?

It'll be great if the Harrier/BE was added in RC1 too, but will they function like the Helos? It'll be strange though...if only we could do a barrel roll, lol.

1. Yes

2. They are linked to the infantry unit, so when the infantry unit dies, the barricade disappears.

3. The Harrier will be in RC1 complete with VTOL harrier physics. We hope to make aerial acrobatics possible.

4. Yeah, they already do that. The only feature of elite units that we aren't carrying over is increased speed.

Guest HitmanUltra

I still don't get mirage tanks and how they'll work. I mean once you've played a map enough you'll know where all the trees are and whether something is out of place or not. How can they still be effective?

Guest Allie29

Knowing where all the trees are don't mean squat, trust me. You may know theres a group of trees in one spot, but unless you know the exact position and number, you don't know if theres a mirage tank there or not. They're plenty effective at hiding.

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

I still don't get mirage tanks and how they'll work. I mean once you've played a map enough you'll know where all the trees are and whether something is out of place or not. How can they still be effective?

Knowing where all the trees are don't mean squat, trust me. You may know theres a group of trees in one spot, but unless you know the exact position and number, you don't know if theres a mirage tank there or not. They're plenty effective at hiding.

specially if there is many trees at one location, you might see it if you hide near 1-2 trees or something, if you pay a lot of attention, but you wont if you hide in like 10+ trees

The trees will randomize their positions.

Guest Srowell3

loving the screens. yes wouldnt it be aweful if that video got onto youtube! :D Nice work guys keep it up! My GCSE's have started now too.... Ive done 5 exams so far only one month and then its all over!

When the trees are randomized each time :D

Pretty evil eh?

Give him a break; he's British. They spell lots of words strangely. They also say "spanner" as though it were a real word.

As for mirages, even without randomised trees the testers have come to realise that they are VERY effective at hiding. It's not unusual when playing the AR alpha to see soviets driving around randomly shooting every tree they find, tis hilarious xD Soviets frightened of trees :D