Open RA

madrox8

who here enjoys open RA? who here has even heard of open RA?

what is it?

it is a free open source game to recreate and improve old time westwood RTS games, the game itself contains RA1 (improved to have some RA2 features in it) tiberium dawn (improved to have some C&C3 features in it) and Dune 2000

where do i get it?

why this link right here! http://www.openra.net/download/

currently in the playtest version they added sandworms and carryalls in the dune mod, and countries with 2 unique functions for them to spice things up. not to mention they have been teasing more updates for a tiberium sun game that they are working on

you can catch their news on moddb! http://www.moddb.com/games/openra

it would be interessting how those 2 games would look on the engine, i didnt said HEY IS DAT POSSBLEEEE?.

i wont go into further details,

Eins-edit: I don't agree with GenCamo

Edited by Einstein
no more bashing

• 1 month later...

Personally I prefer the original RA to the one in OpenRA, some of the changes they made aren't to my liking (like the tesla coil seems to royally suck now) but that does look cool to have RA2 vs RA1 (even though I suspect its horribly unbalanced).

• 2 weeks later...

yah, this shits awesome. But Mental Omega, Twisted Insurrection, and Dawn of the Tiberium Age are SICK.

I haven't played vanilla RA2 or YR or any other mods for those games since Mental Omega hit 3.0.

I also like that "Tiberium Origins" mod for OpenRA. Not sure how balanced it is (haven't tested everything), but it combines Tib Dawn and RA, using a duel resource system. All the sides mine ore, but tech center/equivalent unlocks tiberium refinery and stuff, uses separate storage than ore. They're also working on "interim" factions between the storylines of TibDawn and RA1, such as black ops 9 which is already in the latest release.