[Game Over - Town Victory] Pokemafia 2

OrangeP47

3 minutes ago, Sunflower said:

I have a lvl 10 pokemon but I dunno about the not being concerned part. :p

Right, I'll put you up as a viable candidate for the fight today then. It's better if we put two level 10 Pokemon against each other, since neither one of you has invested anything in them yet. Or at least that's the general idea.

5 hours ago, Jeod said:

Just battling won't tell us anything new about who could be a Rocket, either. I have a proposal: we lay out our actions taken last night. We don't have to give the results or names of items or anything, just what we did or even how many actions we took. We might find a discrepancy somewhere. Thoughts?

1) Trained

2) Bought Item

3) You probably know the third thing I did.

I'm pretty unhappy with how my roster turned out. I haven't spent the time to chart everything out yet or even figure out what moves my pokemon might learn on their own yet, but last game I had two serviceable choices to begin with and by the time the game ended I had another one I was comfortable with. This time I pretty highly doubt I'll ever be happy with what I've got.

I'll join the list then.

1. Trained.

2. Bought Items

4 minutes ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I'm pretty unhappy with how my roster turned out. I haven't spent the time to chart everything out yet or even figure out what moves my pokemon might learn on their own yet, but last game I had two serviceable choices to begin with and by the time the game ended I had another one I was comfortable with. This time I pretty highly doubt I'll ever be happy with what I've got.

https://pokemondb.net/

You can use this to quickly figure out what moves your Pokemon can learn by generation, although I'll point out they link to the newer version of each moves after generation two.

N1 Lv 20 

N2 Lv 30 (Evo 2)

N3 Lv 40

N4 Lv 50

N5 Lv 50 (Evo 3) It'd take up to Night 5 to get to the 3rd evolution of anything with 3. While it'd take 4 nights to get maxed out with anything else - aside from winning any matches. That alone sounds mostly fair, except that it's only one pokemon. Unlike the previous game, your other pokemon aren't really usable once someone has a Lv 50 or even Lv 30. We already saw how badly Psyduck at Lv 30 one-shot Jeod's lv 10 Heracross. Say if one player gets their pokemon to Lv 40, loses a match and then has to start back up from scratch, they have almost no chance of coming back if they have to duel and would have to get another to at least lv 30 to stand a chance for an investigation (assuming the other investigations are of a similar standard).

@OrangeP47 If you could, please consider this as a possible amendment to the rules. But if the others feel that it's not necessary then you can just ignore this.

6 hours ago, TheIrishman said:

N1 Lv 20 

N2 Lv 30 (Evo 2)

N3 Lv 40

N4 Lv 50

N5 Lv 50 (Evo 3) It'd take up to Night 5 to get to the 3rd evolution of anything with 3. While it'd take 4 nights to get maxed out with anything else - aside from winning any matches. That alone sounds mostly fair, except that it's only one pokemon. Unlike the previous game, your other pokemon aren't really usable once someone has a Lv 50 or even Lv 30. We already saw how badly Psyduck at Lv 30 one-shot Jeod's lv 10 Heracross. Say if one player gets their pokemon to Lv 40, loses a match and then has to start back up from scratch, they have almost no chance of coming back if they have to duel and would have to get another to at least lv 30 to stand a chance for an investigation (assuming the other investigations are of a similar standard).

@OrangeP47 If you could, please consider this as a possible amendment to the rules. But if the others feel that it's not necessary then you can just ignore this.

I'll consider some options, but may not announce my decision for a bit.

2 minutes ago, Retaliation said:

I think I would be willing to enter a fight against a level 20 if I don’t have a type disadvantage.

Part of the problem is how levels calculate damage. Using a Snorlax for an example against some random Pokemon with 20 defense.

Damage = ((((((2*10)/5) +2) * 70* 30/20) / 50) + 2) = (6 * 70 * 1.5) = 630 /50 = 12.6 + 2 = 14.6

Damage = ((((((2*20)/5) +2) * 70* 55/20) / 50) + 2) = (8 * 70 * 2.75) =1,540 /50 = 30.8 +2 = 32.8

32.8 / 14.6 = 2.24

That's a pretty significant damage boost for what amounts to a single night action.

3 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

Part of the problem is how levels calculate damage. Using a Snorlax for an example against some random Pokemon with 20 defense.

Damage = ((((((2*10)/5) +2) * 70* 30/20) / 50) + 2) = (6 * 70 * 1.5) = 630 /50 = 12.6 + 2 = 14.6

Damage = ((((((2*20)/5) +2) * 70* 55/20) / 50) + 2) = (8 * 70 * 2.75) =1,540 /50 = 30.8 +2 = 32.8

32.8 / 14.6 = 2.24

That's a pretty significant damage boost for what amounts to a single night action.

With the correct math for a 10 level difference.

Damage = ((((((2*20)/5) +2) * 70* 55/20) / 50) + 2) = (10 * 70 * 2.75) =1,925/50 = 38.5 +2 = 40.5

40.5 / 14.6 = 2.77

TBH I really easily came up with a good solution... but it just so happens not to work with other balance choices I've implimented.  However, this gives me confidence that I can macguyver it before hammer, so for now I just ask that everyone remain calm :p

And, if you only had a 5 level difference with a Snorlax.

Damage = ((((((2*15)/5) +2) * 70* 42/20) / 50) + 2) = (8 * 70 * 2.1) =1,176/50 = 23.52 +2 = 25.52

25.52 / 14.6 = 1.74

One solution that would reduce the difference would be to only gain 5 levels every time you train and instead Pokemon started out at level 25.

For one of these games, instead of picking our Pokemon I think I'd prefer it if the GM assigned them to use, so you don't really need to worry about running into the more OP Pokemon in the game as much.

And instead you're forced to rely on training whatever Pokemon you get, or could find in game if you could capture Pokemon.

Just now, Shade939 said:

For one of these games, instead of picking our Pokemon I think I'd prefer it if the GM assigned them to use, so you don't really need to worry about running into the more OP Pokemon in the game as much.

And instead you're forced to rely on training whatever Pokemon you get, or could find in game if you could capture Pokemon.

So I should put you down for 6 Magikarp?

Since we're off topic already, here's a question for you lot:  Numel or Charmander?  I'm playing a romhack of Heart Gold where you can catch any pokemon (from gen 4 or earlier), and I can get both a Numel or a Charmander early when looking for a fire type.  Charmander is obviously awesome, but Numel is also ground type.  I was originally thinking of getting a Charmander and a Phanpy to cover both those types, but with Numel I could do it in one pokemon... hmmm....

5 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Since we're off topic already, here's a question for you lot:  Numel or Charmander?  I'm playing a romhack of Heart Gold where you can catch any pokemon (from gen 4 or earlier), and I can get both a Numel or a Charmander early when looking for a fire type.  Charmander is obviously awesome, but Numel is also ground type.  I was originally thinking of getting a Charmander and a Phanpy to cover both those types, but with Numel I could do it in one pokemon... hmmm....

I think there's value in forcing yourself to pick the underloved pokemon when you can.

33 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

Yeah, Snorlaxes are scary...

I'm getting the impression you have a snorlax :v.

What do I put in for STAB, Type, and RNG effect in the damage calculator?

20 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Charizard

11 minutes ago, Retaliation said:

I think there's value in forcing yourself to pick the underloved pokemon when you can.

I'm getting the impression you have a snorlax :v.

What do I put in for STAB, Type, and RNG effect in the damage calculator?

Snorlax example:

Damage = ((((((2*15)/5) +2) * 70* 42/20) / 50) + 2) = (8 * 70 * 2.1) =1,176/50 = 23.52 +2 = 25.52

So, after you do this, then you do STAB, Type and RNG for Crits.

Damage = ((((((2*Level)/5) +2) * Power * Atk/Def) / 50) + 2) * Modifier * Item Boost

Modifier = (Crit(1,2) * STAB * Weather) * Type

Modifier = 1.5 * Type