TSR Q&A Time!

Entering the Mammoth is a little tricky. It takes a few attempts from different angles to find the right approach. On infantry that cannot enter vehicles, there are some that cannot drive a vehicle on their own but are able to ride as passengers in the GDI and Nod APCs.

As for the Bug Tracker, it's next on the to-do list of forum fixes. Since the upgrade, some services have been needing updating in order to work with this latest IPB version. Hang tight, and welcome back OrangeP47!

I mean, I circled around the thing, trying every angle there is, multiple times on multiple maps. Never was able to get in until that time I pushed it down to the ground with the orca. Every time before that too I did notice it was hovering a bit too. Once I'd smashed it down it was easy as pie to get in, did it on first try. Sometime later I'll experment to see if bumping it with other vehicles helps too. TBH if no one else ever has this much trouble I'd chalk it up to some infinitesimal thing about my machine when hosting and testing.

Hmm, did you try this more than once? Could be it was just that one instance where the Mammoth was slightly bugged. Also, the Mammoth is supposed to hover off the ground a little bit...looks weird, but supposedly this was the only way to correct some collision issues or something.

I tried it upwards of five times, different maps, different boots of my computer as it's been on different days. Over the past 3-4 nights I've been exploring a map or two a night just to get familiar with the layouts in case I hop in a game. Since not being able to get in the mammoth the first time I've always picked GDI every map and got a mammoth (if the map offers one, of course). Every single time I've not been able to get in, except that time I bumped it with the orca. It never plays "unit ready" like it does with other vehicles either. I've still not had the chance to try bumping it horizontally with another vehicle for testing purposes.

16 hours ago, Raap said:

Isn't this a case of simply editing the transition zones, or has the MK.II reached a scale that somehow goes beyond the size limitations of transition zones?

Given the size of the MK II itself, I don't think the devs would leave a mistake like that unchecked for so long. Might be something to do clunky mechanics the Mammoth itself presents. I personally haven't had that many issues when it comes to the Mammoth. If the Transition Zones were that big of an issue I think the devs would have taken care of that rather quickly, or reduced the size of the Mammoth slightly so it wouldn't pass through that to cause an issue. 

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Given the size of the MK II itself, I don't think the devs would leave a mistake like that unchecked for so long. Might be something to do clunky mechanics the Mammoth itself presents. I personally haven't had that many issues when it comes to the Mammoth. If the Transition Zones were that big of an issue I think the devs would have taken care of that rather quickly, or reduced the size of the Mammoth slightly so it wouldn't pass through that to cause an issue. 

Something that comes to mind here then, would be to have two MK.II presets, the current 'walking' one, and a preset for an unoccupied "resting" state; imagine a resting dog position with the legs pulled in, in order to lower the body to the ground. This would considerably reduce the scale of the physical model, and allows you to 'fix' the transitions this way. Naturally, scripting logic would need to be created for this, as well as an animation that transitions between the two states. Bonus point here is that you could add wheels or tracks to the sides of the legs that would enable the unoccupied version of the MK.II to ride while in unoccupied 'resting mode', meaning also that the GDI War Factory doesn't need to be idiotically huge if the MK.II can come rolling out of it in this form.

Edited by Raap

The resting dog idea does sound amazing, but as for the whole tracks thing, personally I'd still want to keep the old TS aesthetic, but then again I could always choose to do the obvious thing and "just not use that mode then." Have to be honest though, at first I actually thought that you meant a dog sitting down, and thinking of the Mammoth sitting like a dog made me laugh uncontrollably. :p 

On 06/03/2017 at 0:03 PM, Raap said:

Something that comes to mind here then, would be to have two MK.II presets, the current 'walking' one, and a preset for an unoccupied "resting" state; imagine a resting dog position with the legs pulled in, in order to lower the body to the ground. This would considerably reduce the scale of the physical model, and allows you to 'fix' the transitions this way. Naturally, scripting logic would need to be created for this, as well as an animation that transitions between the two states. Bonus point here is that you could add wheels or tracks to the sides of the legs that would enable the unoccupied version of the MK.II to ride while in unoccupied 'resting mode', meaning also that the GDI War Factory doesn't need to be idiotically huge if the MK.II can come rolling out of it in this form.

Although I like the idea of the resting state, I'm not too sure about the wheels bit haha, Mr mammoth is not only too tall but also too long to fit in the GDI war factory :sigh:

9 hours ago, Ulysses said:

The resting dog idea does sound amazing, but as for the whole tracks thing, personally I'd still want to keep the old TS aesthetic, but then again I could always choose to do the obvious thing and "just not use that mode then." Have to be honest though, at first I actually thought that you meant a dog sitting down, and thinking of the Mammoth sitting like a dog made me laugh uncontrollably. :p 

Yeah, a sitting dog position would look fairly... awkward... :aaaaa:

1 hour ago, NoSpoons said:

Although I like the idea of the resting state, I'm not too sure about the wheels bit haha, Mr mammoth is not only too tall but also too long to fit in the GDI war factory :sigh:

Axing the wheels idea and sticking to tracks, you can make them quite slim with the bulk of the "logical design" hidden within the leg segments. More fancy still, you could hide and show the tracks based on the animation state via "deployable" logical design, which means that during the transition animation, you also make the leg segments 'flip open' to withdraw the tracks.

The whole 'resting dog position' for the MK.II makes perfect sense to me. Ever thought how hard it must be to perform maintenance on a legged vehicle that cannot lower its body? Or ever considered how you'd transport an MK.II across continents when it has no compact form? Plenty of logic to be found in this direction. Obviously, the tracked/resting travel capacity would be very limited and slow, and purely intended for non-combat purposes.

Edited by Raap

10 minutes ago, Raap said:

The whole 'resting dog position' for the MK.II makes perfect sense to me. Ever thought how hard it must be to perform maintenance on a legged vehicle that cannot lower its body? 

Well i'd assume there would be a dry dock of sorts which the MK.II would walk into and maintenance would begin, as for the legs the whole retractable tracks thing doesn't really click in my mind xD do remember the MK.II was never intended to be built from the War factory it was just done that way because it was most convenient :p

but even so I get the feeling that implementing retractable tracks for mammy in TSR would be slightly impractical as the current delivery system works pretty well imo

2 hours ago, NoSpoons said:

Well i'd assume there would be a dry dock of sorts which the MK.II would walk into and maintenance would begin, as for the legs the whole retractable tracks thing doesn't really click in my mind xD do remember the MK.II was never intended to be built from the War factory it was just done that way because it was most convenient :p

but even so I get the feeling that implementing retractable tracks for mammy in TSR would be slightly impractical as the current delivery system works pretty well imo

If purchasing alone was an issue (but it's not, entry/exit transitions is what lead to this conversation), then what you could do is stop having the MK.II walk out of the War Factory on purchase, but instead be delivered via dropship, similar to how helicopters are purchased in APB.

• 11 months later...