[GAME OVER] CYOR IV

Jeod

This was probably the most fun I've had in a long time. Without the ability to establish a proper alibi for myself, I was on the edge of my seat the entire game, with nothing concrete to go off of. This game really put me to the test, and I had a great time.

Also, Sunflower did super good for her first time. She gets a medal, too.

Just now, Killing_You said:

This was probably the most fun I've had in a long time. Without the ability to establish a proper alibi for myself, I was on the edge of my seat the entire game, with nothing concrete to go off of. This game really put me to the test, and I had a great time.

Also, Sunflower did super good for her first time. She gets a medal, too.

Indeed, I know Sunflower and I were both glued to the interactions between players on whether you were scum.

My notes before feedback:

1) The notebook item, while a fun idea by Category 5, turned out to be a rather useless item. If something similar is requested in the future, I'll ask the requester to add some more umph to it.

2) TheIrishMan's role had been requested since CYOR II, so I felt it was time to keep a promise and include it with minimal alterations. It made the role pretty overpowered--the only way to kill him was by relying on scum or relying on a dayblock, which there was only one in the game.

3) Revisit the information given in PMs. I've attached my PM documents where I did the resolving. I feel that I may have given too much information in some cases which caused players to be able to narrow down the scum-pool faster. Please comment on this.

Night 1 Results.docx

Night 2 Results.docx

Night 3 Results.docx

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I had fun.  I will say though, while it did help us win, I think some things like telling us for sure when KY and FRAYDO were going to die were a bit over-sharey.

Kinda, but in all fairness I pointed it out first.

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I had fun.  I will say though, while it did help us win, I think some things like telling us for sure when KY and FRAYDO were going to die were a bit over-sharey.

I still don't see how that would have changed anything really. It fit with the timing of things. But hey, if there's some way that not sharing such information would have changed the outcome, let me know.

1 minute ago, Jeod said:

I still don't see how that would have changed anything really. It fit with the timing of things. But hey, if there's some way that not sharing such information would have changed the outcome, let me know.

I think some of us were still seriously considering them as vote targets at the time.  It may not have been optimal, but everyone should have been allowed to be suboptimal.  I'm a fan of the GM style that only intrudes when absolutely necessary, IE when there's been a mistake made.  If anything is even remotely ambiguous it should be up to the players to figure out.

4 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I think some of us were still seriously considering them as vote targets at the time.  It may not have been optimal, but everyone should have been allowed to be suboptimal.  I'm a fan of the GM style that only intrudes when absolutely necessary, IE when there's been a mistake made.  If anything is even remotely ambiguous it should be up to the players to figure out.

It actually started out with FRAYDO asking me for time of death in PM. I gave him bad math, so clarified it in PM, and also clarified it in thread since he was openly discussing what I'd told him.

Just now, Jeod said:

It actually started out with FRAYDO asking me for time of death in PM. I gave him bad math, so clarified it in PM, and also clarified it in thread since he was openly discussing what I'd told him.

Eh, well just don't let it slide too far whippersnapper :p

1 minute ago, Jeod said:

Blame 1DT or whatever else it is. I have a very different method of thinking compared to normal people.

That's fine up until the point people feel cheated and don't want to play anymore, though, which is the end result of the GM slipping too much.  I mean, Irish might have been banking on coming back here and influencing us somehow, so I'm not sure if he'll be happy.

4 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

That's fine up until the point people feel cheated and don't want to play anymore, though, which is the end result of the GM slipping too much.  I mean, Irish might have been banking on coming back here and influencing us somehow, so I'm not sure if he'll be happy.

The end result isn't due to slipping, per se. When there are only three possibilities left, and everyone knows who the final hostile is, there's no reason to drag the game on. You end up with the opposite effect of players quitting the game due to it being "effectively over" save for that one last puzzle piece that doesn't really matter because they know who the last enemy is.

Just now, Jeod said:

The end result isn't due to slipping, per se. When there are only three possibilities left, and everyone knows who the final hostile is, there's no reason to drag the game on. You end up with the opposite effect of players quitting the game due to it being "effectively over" save for that one last puzzle piece that doesn't really matter because they know who the last enemy is.

Well I can't speak for Irish, but we'll see.  I don't want to become his *rival* over this :v

Just now, Shade939 said:

Why would I ever do that? :v

Because I have a better, more honest reputation than you? :p:v  But seriously you used my color :p

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

Well I can't speak for Irish, but we'll see.  I don't want to become his *rival* over this :v

On my end of things, I consider us even for Steins;Gate Mafia and his last game's shenanigans with Verti60's over-extended trolling. :v

All things considered, Irish really did play as town as possible which in the end hurt him. Even if he was confident in who scum were, he could have remained silent and manipulated the game a bit until his win was assured. We spoke a bit about how the videotapes wouldn't get to make a bunch of kills in a short timespan, so he knew the difficulty he'd face.

32 minutes ago, Jeod said:

3) Revisit the information given in PMs. I've attached my PM documents where I did the resolving. I feel that I may have given too much information in some cases which caused players to be able to narrow down the scum-pool faster. Please comment on this.

Providing a lot of info in night result PMs has been an issue for quite a while now. It makes it far too easy for people to confirm each other's roles. Classic games allow for a bit of discussion with the help of Vanilla roles, but as Vanillas are seen as boring, then there are other options.
1. Stop having night result PMs that include information that isn't specifically about yourself.
2. Allowing scum to do both a NK and their own action during the night (basically the NK being counted as a seperate action).
3. Giving scum some townish abilities as well. I had designed my role to take such a thing into account. That way town can no longer on action confirmation as much as we do now.

EDIT: I want to clarify that this is meant for most games in general, not specifically Jeod's games.

28 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Agreed. There were quite a few instances where Jeod mod confirmed things. (Tribbles being one of them.)

Just now, Shade939 said:

Sounds like a better role than iLTS grabbing the gun and winning because of that instead.

Though you would have liked my 3rd submitted role, Pestilence, the horseman of the apocalypse.  Basically functioned similar to Irish, but with a disease spreading mechanic.  I could infect a patient zero, and then everyone who visited them and got visited by them would be infected too.  The thing was, the disease had several stages, each stage requiring one instance of transmission, and it wasn't fatal until Stage 4.

6 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Though you would have liked my 3rd submitted role, Pestilence, the horseman of the apocalypse.  Basically functioned similar to Irish, but with a disease spreading mechanic.  I could infect a patient zero, and then everyone who visited them and got visited by them would be infected too.  The thing was, the disease had several stages, each stage requiring one instance of transmission, and it wasn't fatal until Stage 4.

You’d need to change how the stages progressed so it wouldn’t be so RNG based on what player visited who or if multiple players visited this same player in a night.

Or would players not infect other players if they weren’t patient Zero?

You’d probably limit it so you can only progress one stage a night in total though, or just make certain it has a cap on how many stages a player can progress through in a night.