Just Libby

Hey everyone! As many of you know, I'm aspiring to be an actor. Well, I have finally made my live-action acting debut in this short film, Just Libby.

It was filmed and edited for the 2017 Missouri Western State University 48-hour film festival, where teams of filmmakers have 48 hours to write, film, edit, and present a short film with three requirements: A character (Jaque the Anthropologist), a prop (umbrella), and a line ("Take one for the team"). This film won Best Use of Prop and Best Use of Character.

So, sit back and enjoy this film about a masked vigilante on a budget protecting pacifist Indiana Jones from a gang of kilt wearing, Swedish fish chewing, Simpsons watching bad guys. It's a pretty fun time!

Oh, and if you're wondering which one is me, I'm the one with a leather jacket and sunglasses.

Pretty amazing that for such a short movie you've got all sorts of action & funny moments packed in there.

So how many concussions you've got during the "shooting"?

One thing which I've noticed: Your first appearance was different from the other one (voice/acting).

5 minutes ago, VERTi60 said:

So how many concussions you've got during the "shooting"?

I came out mostly unscathed, although in the scene where I get knocked into the bathtub, I botched the stunt fall and what you see is me actually falling in. I was perfectly fine, though.

This is pretty good! A lot better than the few live-action college short films I've seen, especially the action scenes. My only gripe was the first scene where Libby and the guy are just talking face to face. It seemed real slow and the dialogue wasn't quite clear enough. I think scenes like that can be done better with ambiance like Libby pouring herself a drink or the guy walking around the apartment as if he were looking for a way out. Just something to keep the scene "busy" while the plot gets set up.

Here's an example to show what I mean. The "Discussion Scene" from Captain America: Civil War.

Notice the subtle details that keep the room "busy" while the dialogue unfolds. Steve Rogers reading the accords. The position of Tony Stark's hand (which sets up for his dialogue later in the scene). Sam's head shaking while he's listening to the arguments. Tony's body language as he's speaking. Even though it's off scene, you can tell he's pouring wine and washing his hands. It gives the audience something to draw their attention to while listening to the dialogue unfold, distracting them from thinking "this scene is so slow, get to the action".

Hope it makes sense and sincerely hope I'm not offending you with the critique.

Edited by Jeod

8 hours ago, Jeod said:

This is pretty good! A lot better than the few live-action college short films I've seen, especially the action scenes. My only gripe was the first scene where Libby and the guy are just talking face to face. It seemed real slow and the dialogue wasn't quite clear enough. I think scenes like that can be done better with ambiance like Libby pouring herself a drink or the guy walking around the apartment as if he were looking for a way out. Just something to keep the scene "busy" while the plot gets set up.

Here's an example to show what I mean. The "Discussion Scene" from Captain America: Civil War.

Notice the subtle details that keep the room "busy" while the dialogue unfolds. Steve Rogers reading the accords. The position of Tony Stark's hand (which sets up for his dialogue later in the scene). Sam's head shaking while he's listening to the arguments. Tony's body language as he's speaking. Even though it's off scene, you can tell he's pouring wine and washing his hands. It gives the audience something to draw their attention to while listening to the dialogue unfold, distracting them from thinking "this scene is so slow, get to the action".

Hope it makes sense and sincerely hope I'm not offending you with the critique.

Oh no, it's fine. We probably would've done more with that scene if we weren't on such a short schedule. I'll pass this on to the director and the rest of the crew, though.

It was pretty good.  The fighting was a bit slow at times, but I'd mark that up to the close quarters more than anything, and you obviously have to work with whatever set you have in this case.  Despite that the fighting also was pretty realistic.  Not pro-quality, mind you, but better than 99% of other amateur things out there, and you went the extra distance for effects too, with plenty of creative choreography.