What Operating System do you use?

moonsense715

Players questionnaire  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What Operation System do you use while playing W3D games (e.g. Reborn)?

• Windows XP
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8/8.1
    • Windows 10
    • Windows Vista
    • Other (please post it)

• 4 months later...

I hadn't managed to get the launcher to run under Wine. The games I had no issue with (for the time I've played anyway).

Since there is no other way to get the game files than through the launcher, I grabbed the installed files from a Windows installation. After that is was just a matter of running the executable.

I should probably try and pick this up again to see how things are now with Wine.

Update your shit to Windows 10 (if you're a Windows user), staying behind does nobody any good. Upgrading is free... Just disable all the spy shit.

If the W3D tools and games can for some reason not handle a new OS, then it simply means game over.

Edited by Raap

Update your shit to Windows 10, staying behind does nobody any good.

It certainly does me some good, since I prefer using Windows 7.

At some point, new applications will stop supporting Windows 7. That's what I'm trying to suggest, you're not helping yourself by staying on an old OS version for too long.

I see what you're saying, but "too long" is a really relative term and could mean "upgrade immediately" or "upgrade at the last minute before ALL support stops." Some of us aren't always installing new applications, and some of us like using old applications for whatever reason. I guess the biggest supporting example of this would be 3DS Max 8 and LevelEdit.

I see what you're saying, but "too long" is a really relative term and could mean "upgrade immediately" or "upgrade at the last minute before ALL support stops." Some of us aren't always installing new applications, and some of us like using old applications for whatever reason. I guess the biggest supporting example of this would be 3DS Max 8 and LevelEdit.

I'm not disagreeing with you in this case. But I personally do use new applications outside of W3D related stuff, so my opinion is just different. :)

(From my PC tech standpoint) I suggest at least upgrading with a temporary install so that you get your free upgrade before this coming July when that promotional offer ends. You can just make a temp install to get your PC registered and then go back to using 7 or 8.1 until you're ready to move to 10. Its worth it I promise.

And for you folks that must have the windows 7 start menu (myself included), this software is worth every penny! http://startisback.com/ Extremely configurable with cool stuff that far surpasses the standard menu if you like that type thing. If not, then you can just have a plain old win7 menu. Enjoy! :D

(From my PC tech standpoint) I suggest at least upgrading with a temporary install so that you get your free upgrade before this coming July when that promotional offer ends. You can just make a temp install to get your PC registered and then go back to using 7 or 8.1 until you're ready to move to 10. Its worth it I promise.

And for you folks that must have the windows 7 start menu (myself included), this software is worth every penny! http://startisback.com/ Extremely configurable with cool stuff that far surpasses the standard menu if you like that type thing. If not, then you can just have a plain old win7 menu. Enjoy! :D

The Windows 10 start menu isn't that much different from Windows 7. Windows 8... We don't speak of it.

Simple. Because startisback is made better and has more capability. I realize that isn't for everyone, and by all means try them all to see what you like. Classic shell is good too, I just prefer startisback.

In my line of work, its easier to sell someone (referring to a business that I would do service work for) on a software that has professional options (such as volume licensing) and is more configurable, rather than a free program. Lots of businesses don't see something you don't have to pay for as being worth using and will often times simply write free stuff off without looking into them. They can't see past the "free" stereotype. Speaking from experience. We're not talking about folks that care enough to learn anything about what they're using or could use, tech-wise. They just want to pay someone to make it work as simply as possible, and if you tell them "oh yeah here's this free thing" then they might write you off too lol.

But yeah, there are a ton of programs that fall into this category. Classic shell would probably fall in as #2 in my mind.

Simple. Because startisback is made better and has more capability. I realize that isn't for everyone, and by all means try them all to see what you like. Classic shell is good too, I just prefer startisback.

In my line of work, its easier to sell someone (referring to a business that I would do service work for) on a software that has professional options (such as volume licensing) and is more configurable, rather than a free program. Lots of businesses don't see something you don't have to pay for as being worth using and will often times simply write free stuff off without looking into them. They can't see past the "free" stereotype. Speaking from experience. We're not talking about folks that care enough to learn anything about what they're using or could use, tech-wise. They just want to pay someone to make it work as simply as possible, and if you tell them "oh yeah here's this free thing" then they might write you off too lol.

But yeah, there are a ton of programs that fall into this category. Classic shell would probably fall in as #2 in my mind.

Always be careful with "free" stuff. The general rule is, if you're not the buyer, someone else is. (And guess what they are buying? You.)

There are all sorts of great freeware programs out there. Why pay for a third party app when I can do the same function with freeware that I'm already familiar with? Imgburn, teracopy, everything search engine, faststone image viewer, daemon tools lite, etc. Why pay for support when I don't need it?

There are all sorts of great freeware programs out there. Why pay for a third party app when I can do the same function with freeware that I'm already familiar with? Imgburn, teracopy, everything search engine, faststone image viewer, daemon tools lite, etc. Why pay for support when I don't need it?

Different people got different needs, thoughts, opinions... etc.

I think I got nothing left to add here, I didn't want this to turn into a discussion! :)

Simple. Because startisback is made better and has more capability. I realize that isn't for everyone [.....]

Different people got different needs, thoughts, opinions... etc.

I think I got nothing left to add here, I didn't want this to turn into a discussion! :)

Right, we've done a superb job at derailing this :D Time to go home everyone :v

For a 9x-capable engine, that's ridiculous. Must be that the Scripts team just wants the newest VS builds just so they can say it's the newest (as it's not actually needed for the W3D engine). VS 2012 Update 1 has XP target support, and I'd love to see how many things one can do with that rather than VS 2026.

For a 9x-capable engine, that's ridiculous. Must be that the Scripts team just wants the newest VS builds just so they can say it's the newest (as it's not actually needed for the W3D engine). VS 2012 Update 1 has XP target support, and I'd love to see how many things one can do with that rather than VS 2026.

Thanks for all the code you've contributed over the years. I thought you would have noticed by now that the 5.0 codebase uses features like non-static data member initializers, variadic templates, static_assert, delegating constructors, and deleted functions; all of which are new to VS2013, still work with the XP toolchain, and are rather useful. Something else used that's incredibly useful is D3D9Ex; it simplifies video resource handling significantly by not requiring you to keep track of all resources to recreate them from scratch on alt-tab. Unfortunately that requires an operating system written in the past decade, go figure.