[Game Over] CYOR - Battle of the Gods Edition

TheIrishman

13 minutes ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

Why won't you ask the question properly? It's easy! Highlight name, "r u scum?"

Fine. I'll answer it anyway.

No, I'm neither Mafia nor Third Party. Even in your universe.

Sometimes I prefer to do things with a bit of style though. :p

1 hour ago, Shade939 said:

I do have to ask why Shegorath specifically? There's a fair number of other gods and possibilities you could draw from my picture without jumping straight into that one.

I also wonder why Shegorath, might be some Elder Scrolls reference :p 

Going strictly by the avatar, Shade is hinting to Zanni:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanni

guess I'll also change my avatar...

10 hours ago, Jeod said:

Loki only looks out for himself in most cases. He’s the perfect neutral role.

Alas, I am not Loki. I’m just ducking around with people’s obsessions with avatars in mafia games.

Whether or not you're Loki, you are softclaiming the role of a trickster god. While you could make a case for some trickster gods to be town, most would be scum or 3rd party.

It's been about two or three years since I played a mafia game with Jeod so I've slipped out of "the meta". Can anybody verify whether or not Jeod typically acts like this on D1?

You can help yourself to the past few mafia games on this forum. The "meta" these days is that D1 is a joke phase and almost nothing written on the first day should be taken seriously. I'm not sure why--a joke phase meta like this only gives scum a D1 advantage. But, there have been occasions where later in the game, something that was said on the first day was used to push a vote and nab scum.

From what I can recall, most D1 phases were at least somewhat of a joke seeing as how there's pretty much nothing to go off of.

But, out of all the info we have, you are at least making some kind of softclaim to being a trickster of sorts. I would think of a trickster as most likely being a 3rd party. Followed by mafia and then town.

While we don't have much to go off of we do have to start somewhere. So Jeod, why would you think that a trickster god would be aligned with town instead of some other faction?

Because I would have requested it if I'd chosen to be Loki. Openly claiming to be Loki is a bad move unless I have a way to prove that I'm town. Given the game that just ended with Shade believing he could get away with claiming third party in a "peace offering" and subsequently losing his opportunity to actually fulfill his win condition, why do you think that I would come right out and say "I'm Loki!" if I were anything but town?

That's precisely why I'm saying that I'm not actually Loki and just fooling around. Because I actually put Loki up as a suggested scum role out of my three character requests. It would be amazingly glorious though to find out that one of the scum is Loki.

Well, it's also possible that I'm attempting to cast a small layer of suspicion on myself to avoid being targeted by scum. It's probably not considered my meta by others though because when I did play as town for like two of the seven(?) mafia games I've been in since September 2016, I never clearly stated that as my goal. I silently built a little spotlight on myself to keep scum away from a power role as the first night kill.

Regardless of your personal playstyle, I find it suspicious to play at being a certain flavor/role, then deny being that role, confirm you had requested that role (among others), and then insinuate you're a town power role trying to stay out of the mafia's sights. Some of those on their own are inconsequential. But when you put them all together it does indeed shine a spotlight on you.

I still want to hear what others think, but you're my #1 suspect.

Just now, iLikeToSnipe said:

Regardless of your personal playstyle, I find it suspicious to play at being a certain flavor/role, then deny being that role, confirm you had requested that role (among others), and then insinuate you're a town power role trying to stay out of the mafia's sights. Some of those on their own are inconsequential. But when you put them all together it does indeed shine a spotlight on you.

I still want to hear what others think, but you're my #1 suspect.

Fantastic, that's the point. I'm not ready for anyone to have a hint at my role yet, and so having everyone confused is the best case scenario. I'm too suspect for scum to kill off early on, because it risks them being on the spotlight the following day. Likewise this isn't my scumplay, so I likely won't be on the voting block today either. Also, because of this little spotlight, we should have better reactions to go on later down the road when the time comes.

Just now, VERTi60 said:

Usually when Jeod claims something, half of it's true, half is made up. Doesn't matter the alignment. Even as scum he tends to tell half-truths in order to confuse people.

Correct. The first time I did this I managed to win (officially a tie) APB III by persuading town that the third party non-votable chrono vortex was the true target of the game, despite the GM's announcement post clearly stating that the only nightkill in the game was done by scum. It's a great tactic for any alignment because it keeps players on their toes and thus keeps the game fresh. Can't let town get bored and overlook something critical, and can't let scum have all the power.

For me, I see it as a playstyle leaning more towards scummy. The mafia almost always know who's on their team, spreading confusion about your alignment doesn't usually help town. While it's true that you can use it defensively to get yourself lower on the mafia hitlist it can also backfire when you're less trusted by the town. I don't find it generally suspicious to spread confusion about your role, but that's not exactly what Jeod is doing.

In summary, I think Jeod has gone past the point of being "lolD1Phase" with the claim about what he sent as a role request in his PM. He's not just trying to spread confusion about his role, but also his alignment. I don't think confusing people about your role is necessarily harmful, but confusing town about your alignment is. Scum already know who's on their team, you're not doing them any harm by trying to make reads on your alignment murky.

You'll have to wait for others to share your point of view, then. For me, I feel that I've accomplished my goal. All that's left to do is sit back and watch the reactions, and then sometime in the next 24 hours or so, give my thoughts on the developments.

7 hours ago, VERTi60 said:

Glad to see someone isn't an uncultured savage who might actaully get my hints. :p

4 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

If you need participation, @Nodlied. Also, there's a fair number of other things that have been hinted at if you've been paying attention them.

I don't doubt it. I only have a few people in my focus for now, though.

8 hours ago, VERTi60 said:

I'm too lazy to reverse image search.

51 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

Glad to see someone isn't an uncultured savage who might actaully get my hints. :p

Uncultured? I'm about as classical as you can get! That should be my line :p