[GAME OVER] Apocalypse Rising Mafia II: Dark Night

Jeod
Message added by Jeod,

Starting games too close to each other probably contributes to burn out, I know it does for me.  I need time to focus on doing other things other than watching the forum 24/7, so I'd say it's fine where it is now.  I'm still trying to get caught up on some of my things I put off while playing last game.

On 2/7/2021 at 9:51 PM, Shade939 said:

You can certainly give it a shot if you want to.

Although how much you'll enjoy it is based on your own personality and how much you enjoy playing a post based forum game of Mafia. As for what Mafia is, here's a mostly copy/pasted description for it.

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia.

At the beginning of the game, the Game Master Game will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases, the first of which is Day. During Day, the Town must choose someone to Eliminate by a group vote; they are trying to get rid of the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are eliminated. Their role is then revealed by the Game Master, and it becomes Night.

During the Night, posting in the thread is limited. The Mafia, however, can speak to each other privately to plot strategy and decide who to attempt to murder before the next Day begins. In this way, they can silence members of the Town who are threats to them. At the end of the Night, the attempted murder is carried out and another Day begins with any killed players roles being revealed by the Game Master. In effect, the Town gets to kill someone, and then the Mafia gets to try and kill someone.

The game alternates between Day and Night until either the Mafia are gone, or the Mafia have killed everyone else (or nothing can prevent the same from happening).

So sort of like Town of Salem? Okie dokie!

My first substitute teaching assignment is the 18th and 19th, but ends at 3:30p edt. I *should* be able to get home and begin things on time, but to expedite I may send out role PMs and google docs etc early.

3 hours ago, Coolrock said:

So sort of like Town of Salem? Okie dokie!

Yeah, that's a perfect example of how this game plays out.

Main difference is it's slower paced so what players post has a more significant impact on gameplay and allows for more strategy.

And there's no secondary vote to actually lynch a player after they've been voted up, since the game is as slow as it is they usually have more than enough time to defend themselves before they'd be lynch.

2 hours ago, Jeod said:

Lots of crazy storms this week. How's everyone doing? Game can be postponed until next week if need be.

Here in Illinois we know how to deal with the snow.  Well, to be fair, a lot of things have closed, including businesses (and you know how hesistant they are to close), but it's actually pretty nice, because for the most part the roads actually are clear, power hasn't dipped once, plenty warm inside, I always keep weeks of food on hand, and it's nice to get some damn peace and quiet for a change (except the snow plow going by every 30 minutes because I live at the confluence of 3 snow plow routes).

2 hours ago, Jeod said:

Lots of crazy storms this week. How's everyone doing? Game can be postponed until next week if need be.

Postponing would be good, the U.S. has what'll be a historic ice storm going on right now that could result in several blackouts as it travels across the country this week.

10 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

Postponing would be good, the U.S. has what'll be a historic ice storm going on right now that could result in several blackouts as it travels across the country this week.

Yup. We had ours over the weekend with another Thursday, and fraydo came to mind re: Texas.

Just now, Shade939 said:

I did get both mafia members to vote for me, and then basically every single player who bothered to use that information died. :biggrin:

See Shade, due to my high level of play and the fact that I'm the only one who can understand you, your only hope was me explaining your plan to the rest of the class.  Your first mistake, though, was that I was mafia, so of course I'm not going to tell them what your plan was, even though I saw what you were trying to do.  I didn't back off because never, have you once, actually succeeded in communicating your galaxy brain plan to the rest of town before you die.  The only reason I knew what your plan was is because I've seen other people do it on MU, if you want the people here to actually see your brand of scum hunting *you have to actually explain it at some point*.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

See Shade, due to my high level of play and the fact that I'm the only one who can understand you, your only hope was me explaining your plan to the rest of the class.  Your first mistake, though, was that I was mafia, so of course I'm not going to tell them what your plan was, even though I saw what you were trying to do.  I didn't back off because never, have you once, actually succeeded in communicating your galaxy brain plan to the rest of town before you die.  The only reason I knew what your plan was is because I've seen other people do it on MU, if you want the people here to actually see your brand of scum hunting *you have to actually explain it at some point*.

And I mean, I guess since it doesn't matter now:  He was baiting us, and boy did we fall for it, but he failed the second part in actually calling us out.

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

And I mean, I guess since it doesn't matter now:  He was baiting us, and boy did we fall for it, but he failed the second part in actually calling us out.

I mean, maybe take this as some meta-town credit in helping town in general, because this is at least the second time Shade's tried this tactic I've noticed.  It's actually pretty clever.  But again, execution needs work.