Red Alert FPS

I disagree completely. Compared to many other free endeavors that are currently available, APB looks incredibly dated. From an artist's perspective, the textures lack detail, the models aren't accurate to the source material, and as a game designer: the gameplay isn't fun. There's varying levels of quality, of course. But it's definitely not high quality, or even moderate. It's medium-low quality and this is objectively comparing it to anything else that exists within its class.

It's dead because it isn't enjoyable. One could also argue that it's dead because it looks old, but that's merely a contributing factor.

It's dead because it isn't enjoyable. One could also argue that it's dead because it looks old, but that's merely a contributing factor.

^ This: entirely subjective. Not even going to debate it with you as there is still a semi-active community who do enjoy playing.

I enjoy knocking one out with my girlfriends mum's underwear on my head, while listening to bohemian rhapsody... I suspect this is something you wouldn't find enjoyable? That's opinions for ya.

By "semi-active community" are you referring to the minuscule amount of people who play? Because it averages, at most, 1-2 players per week IIRC. That isn't much of a community by any objective standard. The best thing you can do for APB is to criticize it and offer suggestions for it to improve. To do otherwise is condemning it to its continued existence on dwindling life support.

Beings there are plenty of old and sometimes even ugly games that have a bigger fan base than APB I think its safe to say that the gameplay is the issue. I guess its possible with better PR they could get more people to play it, but beings Renegade still has ~50 people in a single server periodically through out the day I'd guess that it has more issues than just PR.

By "semi-active community" are you referring to the minuscule amount of people who play? Because it averages, at most, 1-2 players per week IIRC. That isn't much of a community by any objective standard. The best thing you can do for APB is to criticize it and offer suggestions for it to improve. To do otherwise is condemning it to its continued existence on dwindling life support.

regardless of any of this... I find it enjoyable... just like i find other weird shit enjoyable that other people probably dont... you literally cannot argue with this... :D

also... what is it with this forum and digressing from the topic at hand... 8-)

Edited by Shnappz

Arguing "I like it, so you can't argue with the fact that I like it" doesn't further a conversation. Your personal preferences aren't being debated. I don't care about what you enjoy playing - what I care about is what can be objectively measured. There is something wrong with APB that has destroyed its player base from the heights it experienced in 2004-2007 and nothing has changed that. Also, for what it's worth: you brought up APB and chatted with us about it. Even if you didn't, someone would because RA:FPS is difficult to discuss without bringing APB into it.

because i'm not interested in debating why you think APB sucks... i've heard it all before..I'm really not interested in furthering a conversation on it. Start a topic on it if you want? Or maybe you can continue the discussion i started on BHP titled APB VS TSR?

What i am interested in; is furthering a conversation about the motivations behind RA: FPS. Yes APB is clearly going to be mentioned in this discussion, but that does not mean it has to end up in a discussion about what's wrong or right with APB.

Unless it turns out that in fact the motivation behind RA:FPS what that zunnie thought APB sucked and that he could do a better job...

Edited by Shnappz

It's okay to not want a discussion on a subject. It's another to participate in that discussion, encourage that discussion, and then call for it to be stopped entirely because it's not going the direction that you want it to.

What motivations do you expect to glean from us? No one here worked on RA:FPS. You would have to ask Zunnie for that information, and he doesn't post here.

*sigh* Yes, Ok Syn, I'll go ask Zunnie or something.

If you read my original post, I asked one simple question, if anyone knew anything about it. It's a w3d mod, this is w3d hub... I'll go ask on another w3d based forum...

Edited by Shnappz

Unless it turns out that in fact the motivation behind RA:FPS what that zunnie thought APB sucked and that he could do a better job...

If the maps with the vehicular overload on MP's map cycle are any indication of what that would produce; erhm. I mean, sure, it's kinda fun...?

*sigh* Yes, Ok Syn, I'll go ask Zunnie or something.

If you read my original post, I asked one simple question, if anyone knew anything about it. It's a w3d mod, this is w3d hub... I'll go ask on another w3d based forum...

zunnie started this because he was frustrated with the APB developers at the time. Now that he's friendly with APB again, there's no reason for the game to exist any more.

At the time it was funny because this appeared on Renforums.

NSFW by the way.

buttsniff.png

zunnie started this because he was frustrated with the APB developers at the time. Now that he's friendly with APB again, there's no reason for the game to exist any more.

Yet he denied its demise *to Chronojam* on the page's comments section a little over a year ago. Has anything changed?

For instance, I know a lot of the content has been recycled into Ren MP maps.

Edited by Aprime

Yet he denied its demise *to Chronojam* on the page's comments section a little over a year ago. Has anything changed?

For instance, I know a lot of the content has been recycled into Ren MP maps.

I heard rumblings that the game had ceased development. You could pretty much see it when zunnie started making co-op maps for APB again.

had to read that comic strip again... yep was still just as funny as last night!

Interesting to know though... it does make me giggle how much internet drama there is focused around things like this.

I've seen some of those models before. I thought it was a very early internal alpha for APB, I don't know. Did APB ever have red heavy tanks in any public or internal builds? I didn't start playing until it hit gamma.

I've seen some of those models before. I thought it was a very early internal alpha for APB, I don't know. Did APB ever have red heavy tanks in any public or internal builds? I didn't start playing until it hit gamma.

IIRC, the earliest versions of the project had team-colored vehicles. This was 2002, though, so I don't think anyone would even have the project files for that anymore. I've long since lost that stuff.

IIRC, the earliest versions of the project had team-colored vehicles. This was 2002, though, so I don't think anyone would even have the project files for that anymore. I've long since lost that stuff.

I have a "Renalert 900.zip" :v:

What was the name of that early map with the two bases separated by a village again?

It was a pretty flat map and I don't remember it having alternative entry points for the bases or tunnels.

Edited by Aprime

What was the name of that early map with the two bases separated by a village again?

It was a pretty flat map and I don't remember it having alternative entry points for the bases or tunnels.

Are you referring to Camos Crossing? Edited by ChopBam