RA2:AR release question

Hello testman, and welcome to W3D Hub! While I don't know the answer to that question, I have overheard the word "soon" in some talks.

One of those places is in a pinned topic here called Red Alert 2: Apocalypse Rising - Ask a developer! which was started by the Lead Developer of the project, One Winged Angel, for the express purpose of answering questions such as these!

Again, welcome! We hope you enjoy your stay!

Why can't RA2:AR be released in current state?

I would really like to play it even though I missed window to apply for alpha tester.

How much longer do we have to wait?

It can't be released in it's current state because it's not balanced enough. Once we finish off the substantial task of finishing up the Allied structures, then we can probably think about releasing to the public.

There are a lot of incomplete art assets that use placeholders; but in the case of the buildings, it cannot be overlooked.

Don't expect a release within the next 2 years. Not enough developers, not enough interest. It's basically a dead project.

I know it sounds depressing, but giving false hope will only lead to disappointment.

Don't expect a release within the next 2 years. Not enough developers, not enough interest. It's basically a dead project.

I know it sounds depressing, but giving false hope will only lead to disappointment.

No need to be so depressing. The game will see a release at some point, but there's still a lot of work to be done. The project itself in it's unreleased state is way more robust than APB or Reborn because it was built from the ground up rather than on top of Renegade's always.dat file. It should be pretty awesome to play when it's released.

I'll see if I can record some footage today during a short testing session. Don't expect too much though, as it's a workday, so the amount of ingame players will most likely be very low.

EDIT: Considering that my capture program decided to die on me, I guess I'm not able to record. Sorry people. =(

No need to be so depressing. The game will see a release at some point, but there's still a lot of work to be done. The project itself in it's unreleased state is way more robust than APB or Reborn because it was built from the ground up rather than on top of Renegade's always.dat file. It should be pretty awesome to play when it's released.

Why not release what you have now and go from there? This mod is way overdue.

The game isn't in a fully playable state yet. Certain features are yet to be implemented and a good portion of the Allied structures don't have proper interiors yet.

I think that when the game becomes fun to play, we can think about releasing it and going from there.

The last thing I want to see (as the leader of this project) is for people to play it once, dismiss it and then go back to playing APB/Reborn/Renegade/Other games.

• 3 weeks later...

Why not release what you have now and go from there? This mod is way overdue.

This is big talk considering reborn took a much longer time and it was based on a renegade template. I have played the test version of AR (the version 6 months ago since I am not on the current testing team).

Anyways Apocolypse Rising is awesome. It is a fast paced game, with an awesome arcade feel. It has a well done exp/leveling system. The tank leveling system works well, the troop leveling system works splendidly. Not even reborn has a finished tank ranking system. The units are unique and I could play it for hours. The gameplay felt balanced.

Yet there were buildings need texture, there were tanks and troops needing textures. There were troops without models and tanks needing modeling. There were code glitches and base defense issues. Therefore yes it would be a fun release, but it would be visually disappointing. And coding glitches would frustrate players. I feel that AR would be a bigger hit than reborn if it is given more time.

Disclaimer: this was 6 months ago when I was an APB tester and the above in no way reflects the current build.

Oh yeah, how does balance work out when one side's free basic infantry is twice as powerful as the other side's? Or will AR not be sticking to RA2 in that regard?

I'll put it this way, they are way more powerful deployed, but they lack mobility (so they can't dodge anything).

Thus in an open field they rule but in close quarters or rocky/rough terrain they don't.

Edit: One more thing, you'll be getting a reborn quality game in less time than reborn took.

Edited by Raptor29aa

• 4 months later...

I apologise for necromancy, but I would like to revive this thread a bit.

RA:APB has been released in [delta] state (I assume this is other way of saying "pre-alpha"), and there were few update threads, last one being for November 2015.

Is there any chance that we get to see public delta of RA2:AR any time soon?

(I assume this is other way of saying "pre-alpha")

In software, the release order goes as such: Alpha, Beta, Gold, not the other way around.

Gold is release.

APB's had an Alpha set, a Beta set and following that, it extended the "pre-release" schedule, if I can call it that.

APB has never had a full "Gold" release and will officially never get a full release. Without it, Delta amounts to its Gold, but not in name.

Delta is the last major update to APB, whatever follows is nitpicky improvements and additions.

There will be no more gameplay revolutions (e.g. the jump to Gamma). However, you may see content addition and stability updates. Content in this case would be stuff like maps and, textures and minor adjustments to the game. Kinda like the patches you've seen for games like the original and community updated Renegade. Nothing revolutionary, though I guess I'd have to count out the flying maps patch to keep the comparison true. So don't think of it as a Minecraft (yearly major gameplay changes), I guess.

The release version numbering system for APB hardly follows this logic as typically, Gold would be 1.0. In APB's case, 1.0 was Beta and the last update to gamma was 2.X.X... I don't remember what version number Delta is but I think you get my gist here.

Anyway, felt this needed clarification.

Is there any chance that we get to see public delta of RA2:AR any time soon?

We're getting there, but there is still a bit of a way to go yet. We'll put out some more news soon once there is a bit of time to gather some cool stuff up together.

So basically, APB's "Alpha" and "Beta" don't actually correspond to the typical software usage of "Alpha" and "Beta", but somehow this naming scheme was chosen in spite of the confusion it could cause?