Flare question

des1206

I never tried this in-game, but does anyone know if it is possible for a team to collect multiple flares, and then plant them simultaneously (or very close in time to each other)? I've never seen this strategy done in game, but could be interesting when defenders need to rush to 2 separate and opposite locations to disarm 2 flares at the same time.

Edited by des1206

Totally doable, has been for years, is fully intended. In pre-Gamma it was considered really OP because you could do it with phase-snipers, who were completely hidden on radar in those days (phases also could crush infantry while moving at only 1mph which is not possible now), on the map The Woods Today, which had absolutely no base defenses. Sure, golden wrenches were an insta-disarm back then, but you better hope you don't have any lag or screenshake or anything because back then it was a 1 ammo weapon with no area of effect - you had to have your reticle trained directly on the flare's tiny hitbox or your whole wrench would fail. Back in those days seeing 3 phase-snipers deploy flares in opposite corners of the Soviet base was GG.

Oh and back then flares took 45 seconds to impact (now 60). Basically it's all been nerfed now due to roof flares. Multiple flares in opposite corners of the base aren't going to be that absurd unless they're also multiple roof flares, in which case I'd say good job to the team for actually getting that many people on roofs at once, even if some of them are spies.

Totally doable, has been for years, is fully intended. In pre-Gamma it was considered really OP because you could do it with phase-snipers, who were completely hidden on radar in those days (phases also could crush infantry while moving at only 1mph which is not possible now), on the map The Woods Today, which had absolutely no base defenses. Sure, golden wrenches were an insta-disarm back then, but you better hope you don't have any lag or screenshake or anything because back then it was a 1 ammo weapon with no area of effect - you had to have your reticle trained directly on the flare's tiny hitbox or your whole wrench would fail. Back in those days seeing 3 phase-snipers deploy flares in opposite corners of the Soviet base was GG.

Oh and back then flares took 45 seconds to impact (now 60). Basically it's all been nerfed now due to roof flares. Multiple flares in opposite corners of the base aren't going to be that absurd unless they're also multiple roof flares, in which case I'd say good job to the team for actually getting that many people on roofs at once, even if they're spies.

Good times. :p

You could do it with phase-snipers, who were completely hidden on radar in those days (phases also could crush infantry while moving at only 1mph which is not possible now)

For real though. It was not uncommon to see 15+ Kills with no deaths due to this. Added to the fact if the soviets got wind of your phase you could go drive back and 1 hit, no bullet drop snipe them. What good times.. Jesus. The WoodsToday.Mix was basically seeing which exploits and cheap things you could do to annhilate the soviets (Phase Snipers, Med Mech's, Long-Range M60 everything)

Oh and back then flares took 45 seconds to impact (now 60). Basically it's all been nerfed now due to roof flares. Multiple flares in opposite corners of the base aren't going to be that absurd unless they're also multiple roof flares, in which case I'd say good job to the team for actually getting that many people on roofs at once, even if they're spies.

Good times. :p

Even better times when you were able to insta-plant flares...

1. find a slope where you can only slip off of it

2. plant the flare

3. defend your shit while you can

4. watch as the enemy struggles to disarm the flare because lag

5. ??????

6. PROFIT!

It is possible to pull out this strat. I rarely see it, but 2 flares planted in enemy base equals at least one of them reaching the 0 on timer. Also, second flare can be used as distraction to protect the main flare, which is planted in something i call "Point of Doom" - a place in enemy base where flare can instantly end the game, like soviet barracks on Bonsai or roof closer to power plant on allied refinery on Zama

Edited by Alstar

I kind of want to see another Beta/CF/NW throwback event just to see how all the newer players will cope with a lot of the BS things from back then. Not just the superbuff flares, but

mechs/medics/engineers repairing damage instantly, pinpoint accurate shock rifles that get full headshot bonus damage,  hitscan snipers with what is basically an equivalent to a modern FPS' "hold breath" button only it's not obvious that it's the case, to name a few.

I kind of want to see another Beta/CF/NW throwback event just to see how all the newer players will cope with a lot of the BS things from back then. Not just the superbuff flares, but

mechs/medics/engineers repairing damage instantly, pinpoint accurate shock rifles that get full headshot bonus damage,  hitscan snipers with what is basically an equivalent to a modern FPS' "hold breath" button only it's not obvious that it's the case, to name a few.

I GOT IT! 9935 throwback event... again...

and don't forget those double-damage radar domes

Only problem I have with flares, is being able to camp ontop of them with heavily armored vehicles like Ore Trucks/APCs/Mammoths and pretty much rape the opposing team, either with/without support units backing you up.

and YES I KNOW "Use Rocket Soldiers or AT infantry". BUT that always doesnt work, because majority of the time, the person using the vehicle is either a heavy Anti Infantry guy, or a Super Unit (Volkov/Tanya) Most of the time the team that plants doesnt have to worry about vehicles either because the WF is either dead, or EVERYONE is attacking their base, leaving 2 or 4 defenders to maintain the base. Its entirely impossible to disarm a flare if a vehicle is sitting on top of it.

Just my opinion/complaint/2cents.

Still more possible than it was in Beta where, as mentioned, you had to have direct line of sight to the flare :v

I coulda sworn one of the Beta patches had the flare have a hugeass AOE, it could disarm shit through walls back then too. If not 1.2.0, 1.3.0?

Basically people loved putting flares dead up against the wall behind the soviet barracks on Zama and then going "wtf" when it was disarmed through the wall (and I know this wasn't Gamma because it was the old wall type that'd been in use since pre .9935). Or placing it on the War Factory pipe and having a jumping engineer try to get it from the PCT dead below.

Still had the problem of being one shot and done though

Edited by SarahNautili

I too would love some throwback events. (glances in Fraydo's direction) :p

We have the stuff to do it :)

Yeah FRAYDO, Rocket Ranger rush with me again on River_Raid.

or you know... you could nuke my base all over 2 soldiers.... y'know that's fine I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for bluehell

Well, as you know, I've implemented a mini side-feature to Siege which hasn't really been done before. If it proves to be a fun addition to the general gameplay of APB, it'll open the door for more of these mini-additions to various maps. Once that happens, anything becomes possible.

No. When playing earlier versions of A Path Beyond it was possible to teleport to blue nothingness if you ram into other vehicles (doesn't always happen) and by doing other stuff. This is where the former "Bluehell Productions" got their name and logo.

This always happened to me on the map named "A Path Beyond." :p I miss this map.

Yeah good times, I liked that map as well :D Blue hell is simply the area under the map itself. I think the reason it would happen is that there was some bug with the engine not being able to determine the location of a unit (vehicle or infantry) when it would collide with certain objects, and because of some bad math (?) then it would end up teleporting them through the map! You can also get there by falling off the edge or just finding a large enough terrain hole :D Someone that knows more may want to correct me on that first part but I think thats the jist of it.