Jump to content
Category 5 Hurricane

Invitation to the Mafia Championship Season 5 at Mafia Universe

Recommended Posts

Copy-pasted from a PM sent to me by Thingyman of Mafia Universe

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 5)

 

Hello there!

 

It is with great pleasure that I hereby invite your community to take part in Season 5 of the Mafia Championship.

 

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

 

The whole thing started back in 2013, and since then more than 225 different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

 

I hope it sounds like a fun and exciting event

 

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITE?

 

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to me as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot.

 

If you agree to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is May 1. If this is too soon for you to decide on anyone, let me know and we can work something out.

 

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/forums/36-Cross-Community-Events

 

Important notes

You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).

In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.

Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

 

2. SEASON 5 FORMAT

 

The tournament structure

170 communities will participate, each sending one representative.

10 Qualifying Games will be played, consisting of 17 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st place will advance directly to the Finale Game (i.e. 10 of the 17 finalists are found this way), while the 2nd places will advance directly to one of the two Wildcard Games.

A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 4 will discuss and vote to determine 25 players in total deserving of a second chance: 1 will advance directly to the finale, and the 24 other players will play in 2 Wildcard Games along with the 2nd places that advanced directly to these. From each game, three players will directly advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote.

The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 5 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.

The setup explained very briefly (more details on host site)

This (view picture below) is a semi-open grid setup meant for 17 players: 4 mafia versus 13 townies. First you randomly select a number to decide the mafia team's composition of Power Roles (1-2), then you randomly select a letter to decide the town's composition of Power Roles (A-E). Fill in the number of Vanilla Townies needed to make the town team have 13 members total, and you have your setup.

 

 

*Town Jack of All Trades: 1x Vigilante, 1x Roleblocker, 1x Tracker.

 

Relevant mechanics info

Day start.

Deadline Lynch w/ Option for Majority starting Day 2. I.e. when day timer runs out, person with most votes will be lynched. However, day can also be ended early (starting Day 2) if there is ever a majority of votes on one person.

If there is a tied lynch, one of the tied players will be randomly lynched.

No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).

Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize them into games with deadlines that suit their preferences).

Thread is locked during Night Phases.

 

3. SEASON 5 TIMELINE

 

There will be 10 Qualifying Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates during the months of May and June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

 

Wildcard games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

 

Kind regards,

Thingyman

 

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Thingyman#6075).

Edited by Category 5 Hurricane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we could start with a signup period here. If you think you would like to participate in this event, type in ##UnitReady

I'll gather the entries and then make a poll where we can vote for which players (1 representative, 1 backup) we'd like to send.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to play, but I think they put in way more effort into the game than I'd normally care to and I'd be lynched for a lack of posts right away :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheIrishman said:

I'd like to play, but I think they put in way more effort into the game than I'd normally care to and I'd be lynched for a lack of posts right away :p

If I weren't working, then I'd volunteer. I concur with the minimum post count per day restriction. There are many times in mafia games where not posting and/or waiting for other responses to a player's post is the wiser strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeod said:

If I weren't working, then I'd volunteer. I concur with the minimum post count per day restriction. There are many times in mafia games where not posting and/or waiting for other responses to a player's post is the wiser strategy.

Honestly, while I was over there I kind of liked the rule.  While sometimes inaction is the best action, it kind of doesn't produce good content or a fun game experience.  I never had any trouble with the rule either.  Granted, I was in a crazy, 40 person game or something. The rule was something like 10 posts per phase though, so simply greeting each person in turn will get you to the desired content count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Honestly, while I was over there I kind of liked the rule.  While sometimes inaction is the best action, it kind of doesn't produce good content or a fun game experience.  I never had any trouble with the rule either.  Granted, I was in a crazy, 40 person game or something. The rule was something like 10 posts per phase though, so simply greeting each person in turn will get you to the desired content count.

True, but it's still intimidating. I suppose I might be tempted to give it a try. @Category 5 Hurricane and @Voe, can you tell me how long the season lasts? How much previous game content did you need to read to feel confident about reading a player? That site's loaded with past mafia games to use in determining meta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3. SEASON 5 TIMELINE

 

There will be 10 Qualifying Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates during the months of May and June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

 

Wildcard games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

When I played in the exhibition game, I didn't do any searching on previous games to determine player meta. I didn't think it would be useful, for a number of reasons.

1) Players in the contest where from multiple websites, and few players were familiar with each other anyway.
2) Being labeled as a championship game seemed likely to change a player's meta just because it wasn't some random game.
3) There was already so much else to learn in each game about what terms players used and what those things meant. e.g. Wolfy, ISO, EAT PANT

And I learned when the game ended that it was even more useless because it's apparently common for players to have multiple logins just to avoid that exact tactic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why I can't manually do quote tags anymore without them breaking. Preview looks fine, but then the actual post always looks like that. If I want to say something after a manually placed quote, I have to make another post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I don't understand why I can't manually do quote tags anymore without them breaking. Preview looks fine, but then the actual post always looks like that. If I want to say something after a manually placed quote, I have to make another post.

Try hitting new lines, it usually breaks it (usually, dunno what the condition is if it doesn't work).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jeod said:

Alright, I’ll tentatively ##unit ready

If you're looking for a backup, I could volunteer. I would just need a bit of coaching before the game starts on thr set up. Since we've never done a simple mafia like that before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll leave it to the professionals to properly coach you on "How To Mafia", Mojoman. I, however, can lead you down a different path. A dark path from which you may never return.

2cd.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FRAYDO said:

I'll leave it to the professionals to properly coach you on "How To Mafia", Mojoman. I, however, can lead you down a different path. A dark path from which you may never return.

2cd.gif

I shitposted in the championship too :v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend @OrangeP47 if he's up for it, I think he has the biggest chance, attributes and good wits to win it. Cat5 should also consider re-entering (if there's no rule against competing again).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the recommendation has been to not send the same champion twice in a row, though I don't think that rule is really enforced unless you made it past the first round. I didn't really compete in the championship, I just played in a sideshow after it was over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be up for it, though it's hard to say what I'll be doing/my situation at the time of those games.  I could at least be a backup, or a primary as long as we have a backup ready for me in case things don't look too good for me in the coming months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OrangeP47 said:

I'd be up for it, though it's hard to say what I'll be doing/my situation at the time of those games.  I could at least be a backup, or a primary as long as we have a backup ready for me in case things don't look too good for me in the coming months.

We work well together when on the same team, so I'd love to have you as a backup or primary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jeod said:

We work well together when on the same team, so I'd love to have you as a backup or primary.

Yeah, I'd say there's kind of a motive here to have someone who will "represent" our "flavor" on these here forums, and either Jeod or myself can probably do that well.  Cat 5 too, but there's the previously mentioned roadblock of having been the backup last time.

On a different note, I wouldn't be confident sending someone under the criteria of who's the "best" as we don't really have a best here.  We just have people with different strengths and weaknesses.  So more reason to go for the flavor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

Yeah, I'd say there's kind of a motive here to have someone who will "represent" our "flavor" on these here forums, and either Jeod or myself can probably do that well.  Cat 5 too, but there's the previously mentioned roadblock of having been the backup last time.

On a different note, I wouldn't be confident sending someone under the criteria of who's the "best" as we don't really have a best here.  We just have people with different strengths and weaknesses.  So more reason to go for the flavor.

As if I'm not the best >.>

jk

But strictly speaking, Sunflower hasn't lost a game so maybe we should send her :b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheIrishman said:

As if I'm not the best >.>

jk

But strictly speaking, Sunflower hasn't lost a game so maybe we should send her :b

Pro mafia logic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cat5, Irishman and Orange seem the best if we really want to accomplish something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voe said:

Cat5, Irishman and Orange seem the best if we really want to accomplish something.

Ass. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jeod said:

Ass. :p

You're a meme, jeod, just like me. Loose cannon. I'm talking consistent players :v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Voe said:

You're a meme, jeod, just like me. Loose cannon. I'm talking consistent players :v

Being inconsistent is part of why I win a lot. :v It’s all about how it’s done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jeod said:

Being inconsistent is part of why I win a lot.

Why you're lynched a lot, you mean? :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChopBam said:

Why you're lynched a lot, you mean? :p

For some people, victory isn't always about winning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iLikeToSnipe said:

For some people, victory isn't always about winning.

Well in that case, his statement would be meaningless to the rest of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys

I'm going on a short vacation tomorrow. Will be back Sunday, April 29.

As for the deadline for choosing a representative (or someone volunteering themselves), I am extending this by a couple of days to May 3.

When/if your representative is decided, that person should please either PM me on Mafia Universe or reach me on Discord: Thingyman#6075. During evenings I will quickly check messages and get them the information they need to prepare for the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×