[GAME OVER] Open Janitorial Mafia - Round 2

Jeod

3 hours ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I do not. The Oracle role is traditionally not blockable. And the setup Jeod is taking from is balanced with this behavior in mind.

Indeed. The Janitor role is not a roleblocker, so it does not interfere with the Oracle.

14 hours ago, Jeod said:

Excellent! :v Now then, considering what you know about this setup (especially if you've played the previous version), what would you suggest be modified in terms of game balance? I was thinking about a couple options: one, we could have a "Day Zero" that ends in a nolynch. The game would move to Night One as normal, but all players would now have a gameplan and potential scumreads. This option is a sort of counter to the "metagamed into balance" idea that this setup is based on. (In irc variants, it's been suggested this setup is really only balanced when everyone's played it a hundred times and kinda knows eachother)

The second option I thought of is just starting at Night One. I'm leaning more toward the Day Zero option. Thoughts?

Maybe 24 Hour Shitpost phase that ends with a NK and then straight on to Day 1? 

Another thought is to disable the scumdoc during the day phases. In IRC matches, scum can't speak to eachother during the day. This means that the Janitor has to find a way to let his buddies know if the Doctor or Cop was killed.

We're calling it different things but we mean the same thing, pretty much. Given that the first actual result would be a NK, I would call the first phase a Night Phase, but it doesn't really matter. Call it whatever. Other people who run this setup seem to be confused on what to call the first phase as well.

I've just been reading into the meta a little more and I'm having a hard time predicting how having a discussion phase before the first kill might change things. I understand a little better how things are "supposed" to work in the original setup, but it isn't practical for us to follow it exactly. There will be differences. Which is probably good?

2 minutes ago, Jeod said:

Another thought is to disable the scumdoc during the day phases. In IRC matches, scum can't speak to eachother during the day. This means that the Janitor has to find a way to let his buddies know if the Doctor or Cop was killed.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

On 4/28/2019 at 2:24 PM, Jeod said:
  • Oracle (1)
    • The oracle is a town power role with the ability to target a player each night to be mod-revealed if the oracle dies. The oracle will only reveal their previous night target. The ability does not stack. The oracle starts with a target at random in the event they die on D1.
  • Janitor (1)
    • The janitor is a mafia power role with a one-time ability to hide the role of the nightkill. The killed player will not be revealed for the duration of the game.

I'm pretty certain that everyone is going to know that the Oracle died if a second players alignment is revealed when someone dies though, which is the opposite of what the Janitor ability is supposed to do.

One of these roles can override the other one making it completely useless in a very specific scenario.

And I really don't think it's pushing things to state the Janitor is a variation of a role blocker since it blocks a players role from being revealed upon death.

Alright, since there has been minimal discussion on modifying the setup for balance, there will be no changes to the current setup. Game starts in 11 hours or so. Drop your socks and grab your crocks!

2 hours ago, Jeod said:

Alright, since there has been minimal discussion on modifying the setup for balance, there will be no changes to the current setup. Game starts in 11 hours or so. Drop your socks and grab your crocks!