[GAME OVER] CYOR VI

Jeod
Message added by Jeod,

I am trying to avenge my Mentor! I don't know who to pick I just saw a list of suspects. 

5 hours ago, TheIrishman said:

Players

Role

Character

Day One

Night One

Day Two

Night Two

Items

Irish

Chocolate Factory

Willy Wonka

nothing

nothing

Cat5

?

?

nothing

?

Fraydo

Dead

Kurosensei

nothing

Died

Orange

Defensive

immobile character

nothing

nothing?

Shade

Experimenter?

Phyrexian?

nothing

Blocked?

Attacked?

Louis

?

?

nothing

?

Retal

Unstoppable

?

nothing

Visited Irish

Kat

?

?

nothing

?

iLTS

?

Imposter

Vented

?

Mojo

Buffer?

?

Lynchproof on Orange

?

Chop

Item Giver?

?

nothing

?

KY

Unsure

Shenron

nothing

?

But real talk, you shouldn't blindly vote anyone. You need to follow the discussion and form your opinion based on that. Critical thinking is required in these games. When you place a vote, you should always accompany it with a reason.

Just now, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I'm reminded of the time on Mafia Universe where someone argued, and showed statistical proof, that voting randomly is better than doing actual case work.

He was Mafia.

My champs game, the setup, everyone vanilla in a 15 player game except 2 JOATs.  D1 one player is like "optimal strategy is for both Joats to claim and protect eachother to form town core"  He also claims JOAT (and was one).  A townie fake claims joat.  Actual second JOAT flips the hell out and we're in a mess.

3 minutes ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I'm reminded of the time on Mafia Universe where someone argued, and showed statistical proof, that voting randomly is better than doing actual case work.

He was Mafia.

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

My champs game, the setup, everyone vanilla in a 15 player game except 2 JOATs.  D1 one player is like "optimal strategy is for both Joats to claim and protect eachother to form town core"  He also claims JOAT (and was one).  A townie fake claims joat.  Actual second JOAT flips the hell out and we're in a mess.

aka not having fun playing a game

1 minute ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

Yeah, those guys play the same games so often that they lean more on statistical analysis than actual mind games.

Oh, they have plenty of mind games.  Those mind games are "Orange scum slipped, get him!"

In the one game I actually played there, I got yelled at when I was the Town Vig and didn't use my night kill to resolve a tied lynch by killing the one who didn't get lynched.

I looked at it and decided that they were both town, so I went after a different target.

They went on and on about it during and after the game, complaining I made an inoptimal kill by not doing the "right kill"

Just now, Category 5 Hurricane said:

In the one game I actually played there, I got yelled at when I was the Town Vig and didn't use my night kill to resolve a tied lynch by killing the one who didn't get lynched.

I looked at it and decided that they were both town, so I went after a different target.

They went on and on about it during and after the game, complaining I made an inoptimal kill by not doing the "right kill"

Honestly it depends on who you're talking to.  There are people there who say do that all the time, and then there are people there who say never do that, so it really just depends on who was in that specific game.

1 minute ago, iLikeToSnipe said:

Mafia Universe definitely sounds unfun to me, imo...

Why are you bringing statistical analysis into a game about deception and logic? Fucking nerds...

I mean, I have a degree with a stats component, so I statify everything.

2 minutes ago, iLikeToSnipe said:

Mafia Universe definitely sounds unfun to me, imo...

Why are you bringing statistical analysis into a game about deception and logic? Fucking nerds...

I did watch several games, but there are a few reasons why I never became a regular player there. The playstyle was just one of them.

Statistical analysis can be very informative in a lot of things, it's incredibly useful. But I just find it sucks the fun out of stuff if you use it to try and "solve" a game. :v

You should Asimov's Foundation series.

1 minute ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I did watch several games, but there are a few reasons why I never became a regular player there. The playstyle was just one of them.

I mean, they also host Mashes, where everyone's a vig, no one reads the thread, and instead of trying to win everyone just takes pot shots at their friends.

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

You should Asimov's Foundation series.

One of the best science fiction series imo.

I personally play games to blow of steam and relax from work/real life. It's why I've turned down chances to do anything competitively in games. Once you get into that, the goal isn't to have fun it's to win and earn a prize. Statistical analysis of matches, units, weapons, etc can be eye opening and show you a better way to play (maybe even the best way). But I enjoy figuring that out through my own trial and error, and using options that feel fun rather than ones that are the most effective.

Same goes for Mafia, it's just another game for me. I like trying out new things, going for crazy gambits/strats, and just seeing how I can have fun.

One of the best science fiction series imo.

I personally play games to blow of steam and relax from work/real life. It's why I've turned down chances to do anything competitively in games. Once you get into that, the goal isn't to have fun it's to win and earn a prize. Statistical analysis of matches, units, weapons, etc can be eye opening and show you a better way to play (maybe even the best way). But I enjoy figuring that out through my own trial and error, and using options that feel fun rather than ones that are the most effective.

Same goes for Mafia, it's just another game for me. I like trying out new things, going for crazy gambits/strats, and just seeing how I can have fun.

I mean, just because I use stats doesn't mean I'm locked into one way of thinking.  I'm a notorious gambler too, after all.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

I mean, just because I use stats doesn't mean I'm locked into one way of thinking.  I'm a notorious gambler too, after all.

I guess I should clarify, I don't think you're doing anything "anti-fun" lol

But going "statistically... :eng101:" and arguing for voting random just on a statistical analysis of all votes sounds anti-fun to me.

I guess I should clarify, I don't think you're doing anything "anti-fun" lol

But going "statistically... :eng101:" and arguing for voting random just on a statistical analysis of all votes sounds anti-fun to me.

Well given Cat 5 said he was mafia, it was probably a mafia gambit to get people to not vote him because he was scummy, and the stats were bunk.

I don't remember all the details, but I think it was Day 1, and the guy opened up showing proof that Town lynches Mafia on Day 1 at a lower rate than the percentage of Mafia in the game. Therefore if everyone commits to voting random, they'll have a better chance to lynch Mafia. He wound up swaying some people to his argument, but the other half of the players didn't agree and had a big fight over it.

And yeah, if I recall, he earned some town credit for trying to metagame in a way that he "proved" was town-favorable, and won the game off of it.