[GAME OVER] CYOR VI

Jeod
Message added by Jeod,

9 minutes ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I don't remember all the details, but I think it was Day 1, and the guy opened up showing proof that Town lynches Mafia on Day 1 at a lower rate than the percentage of Mafia in the game. Therefore if everyone commits to voting random, they'll have a better chance to lynch Mafia. He wound up swaying some people to his argument, but the other half of the players didn't agree and had a big fight over it.

And yeah, if I recall, he earned some town credit for trying to metagame in a way that he "proved" was town-favorable, and won the game off of it.

Yeah, there's some truth to those stats... but that's a terrible argument... that's basically a successful mafia gambit flavored with stats, not stats being used to improve the game.  You can often get a lot of credit just by talking about stats even if literally no one reads your argument, it's a very easy way to get town credit.  Mafia can take advantage of this.

Actually, let me take a moment here to state a meta point:  Yeah, stats show D1 a mafia almost never gets voted, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try, both because of the small chance that you DO hit a mafia, and two because votes give info.  This is OVERWHELMINGLY the concensus among mafia/werewolf players.  That's why people hate D1 no lynch so much, and it's so bizzare that's our meta here (though our meta here is fine).

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

Actually, let me take a moment here to state a meta point:  Yeah, stats show D1 a mafia almost never gets voted, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try, both because of the small chance that you DO hit a mafia, and two because votes give info.  This is OVERWHELMINGLY the concensus among mafia/werewolf players.  That's why people hate D1 no lynch so much, and it's so bizzare that's our meta here (though our meta here is fine).

Oh... but my actual point:  That's why anyone arguing against a D1 lynch is generally always mafia, according to the wider player base.

5 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Since we're talking about all this, I think the biggest weak point of the mafia formula is D1/N1. There's not as much "mafia" content D1 as other days, it tends towards a bunch of shitposting with the occasional D1 gambit (especially on these forums). Statistically, 1-2 people are going to be knocked out of the game by the time D2 starts. Those people got excited enough for a mafia game to signup and their roles required more work from the GM to balance and design. Then it's all gone without any chance to really participate from those who got killed.

D1/N1 is inefficient as typically designed from a gameplay view. I'm not 100% sure how to fix it, my last CYOR with the multiple characters was kind of an experiment in seeing how that could be changed up. But it's a major bummer (especially to new players) to get killed before the real fun stuff happens. I do want to run another game at some point (should have the time within a couple months) so I'm open to any ideas anyone has to change that up.

2 minutes ago, iLikeToSnipe said:

Since we're talking about all this, I think the biggest weak point of the mafia formula is D1/N1. There's not as much "mafia" content D1 as other days, it tends towards a bunch of shitposting with the occasional D1 gambit (especially on these forums). Statistically, 1-2 people are going to be knocked out of the game by the time D2 starts. Those people got excited enough for a mafia game to signup and their roles required more work from the GM to balance and design. Then it's all gone without any chance to really participate from those who got killed.

D1/N1 is inefficient as typically designed from a gameplay view. I'm not 100% sure how to fix it, my last CYOR with the multiple characters was kind of an experiment in seeing how that could be changed up. But it's a major bummer (especially to new players) to get killed before the real fun stuff happens. I do want to run another game at some point (should have the time within a couple months) so I'm open to any ideas anyone has to change that up.

Some places do N0 where all actions except killing are allowed.

To be fair, that's more of an issue with CYOR than most other setups IMO. Getting killed off before you get to use a cool role you took time to design is less fun than getting killed off before using a role baked into the setup and randomly assigned to you. I think that's part of why D1 NoLynch is a part of our meta; we play a ton of CYOR. 

3 minutes ago, iLikeToSnipe said:

N2 start is probably the usual suggested fix.

Just now, ChopBam said:

What would infection mean in a mafia game? Delayed kill?

That would be my first thought. A cult is also possible or some other debuff.

@Retaliation As an aside, I've been trying to think of something open source to make for the past month, hit me up if you (or anyone else here) do dev work and are interested in contributing. I'm thinking a .NET based web service/server for hosting forum/text games.

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Some places do N0 where all actions except killing are allowed.

I have thought about that, but I think it'd have to be more than just killing. Removing the primary tool of the mafia, without doing anything to "nerf" town can make town too powerful.

1 minute ago, Killing_You said:

To be fair, that's more of an issue with CYOR than most other setups IMO. Getting killed off before you get to use a cool role you took time to design is less fun than getting killed off before using a role baked into the setup and randomly assigned to you. I think that's part of why D1 NoLynch is a part of our meta; we play a ton of CYOR. 

For me personally it's both. In CYOR I'm of course excited to try out some crazy role, but I'm still primarily here for the scheming, deception, and logic.

1 hour ago, OrangeP47 said:

Oh, they have plenty of mind games.  Those mind games are "Orange scum slipped, get him!"

Wow it's almost indistinguishable from how we play here!

25 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

It turns out how you frame the question (How likely are we to lynch mafia D1 vs how much does a D1 lynch improve town's odds of winning) has strong effects on your conclusions. Funny that.

7 minutes ago, iLikeToSnipe said:

That would be my first thought. A cult is also possible or some other debuff.

@Retaliation As an aside, I've been trying to think of something open source to make for the past month, hit me up if you (or anyone else here) do dev work and are interested in contributing. I'm thinking a .NET based web service/server for hosting forum/text games.

Ha, I'm a biochem major. The only programming I've done is AP programming in highschool.

13 minutes ago, iLikeToSnipe said:

I have thought about that, but I think it'd have to be more than just killing. Removing the primary tool of the mafia, without doing anything to "nerf" town can make town too powerful.

I was looking at it from the PoV of town having vigs too.

Alright, we're kinda getting away from the game here.

@Anon_KatDo you have anything else to report? What did you do last night? Did anything happen to you?

Also, are we missing reports from anyone, or has everyone checked in? I'm making lunch right now, so I can't check at the moment.

Just now, Killing_You said:

Alright, we're kinda getting away from the game here.

@Anon_KatDo you have anything else to report? What did you do last night? Did anything happen to you?

Also, are we missing reports from anyone, or has everyone checked in? I'm making lunch right now, so I can't check at the moment.

@Louis hasn't shown up yet.

Just now, Retaliation said:

If I wanted a degree that would require me to live in math land, I would have chosen economics.

See, that's why I stopped being engineering... but then I had to go with something stats focused...

Also, Louis was at least here yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Retaliation said:

If I wanted a degree that would require me to live in math land, I would have chosen economics.

I said "screw math" and became a self-taught developer/architect instead. In my own experience, math is not a requirement for software development (comp sci is another story though).

Just now, iLikeToSnipe said:

I said "screw math" and became a self-taught developer/architect instead. In my own experience, math is not a requirement for software development (comp sci is another story though).

Everything I did with programming had a lot of math, but then again, that's because I was working on math intensive things.

I went with information assurance. Doubt I'll ever actually use the specialized part of my degree, but at least most people think I'm smart and whenever something doesn't work or I'm wrong I can blame another vendor.