[GAME OVER] CYOR VI

Jeod
Message added by Jeod,

2 minutes ago, iLikeToSnipe said:

That's something I'd like to "fix". I quite like how games like Avalon or Secret Hitler work. Still mafia-like, but you don't end up having people sitting out for the entire game after putting in effort to join it.

Not sure what the fix would be for forum mafia yet.

Consider it to be a difference between competitive and cooperative games.

If players aren't eliminated, it removes the competitive focus.

45 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

Consider it to be a difference between competitive and cooperative games.

If players aren't eliminated, it removes the competitive focus.

I'm not saying to get rid of player elimination. But I admittedly have much more fun playing mafia-like games than actual mafia.

25 minutes ago, iLikeToSnipe said:

I'm not saying to get rid of player elimination. But I admittedly have much more fun playing mafia-like games than actual mafia.

Those are different styles of games.

But is there a reason you can't just host a mafia-like game instead?

5 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

Those are different styles of games.

But is there a reason you can't just host a mafia-like game instead?

The ones I'm used to work much better face to face. I don't like designing mafia games where at least one person is going to be out of the game and camping in the dead doc within the first 48 hours. But I don't see how to solve that without creating even more issues.

3 minutes ago, iLikeToSnipe said:

The ones I'm used to work much better face to face. I don't like designing mafia games where at least one person is going to be out of the game and camping in the dead doc within the first 48 hours. But I don't see how to solve that without creating even more issues.

At it's base for the type of games I believe you're referencing, you really just have players voting some number of players to complete an objective every day.

You have the game set up to last for 5 objectives, and the first team to three completed objectives win.

You have a smaller hidden team that if they're voted up then they can sabotage the objective for that day if they're on the team as a win for there team instead.

I thought I was original with my abilities because I’ve never been unable to do anything at all. It was going to be a nice change of pace, but then like 4 other people also decided to do something similar, with Choppy sharing the closest resemblance.

I normally have something to do otherwise it can be boring, I mostly took inspiration from Orange’s item giver but took out the randomization.

1 hour ago, TheIrishman said:

I thought I was original with my abilities because I’ve never been unable to do anything at all. It was going to be a nice change of pace, but then like 4 other people also decided to do something similar, with Choppy sharing the closest resemblance.

I normally have something to do otherwise it can be boring, I mostly took inspiration from Orange’s item giver but took out the randomization.

The prophecy has been foretold that the next CYOR game we have we are going to overcompensate and everyone will have crazy OP visiting roles.

2 hours ago, TheIrishman said:

TBH I think this just means we all know each other very well by this point, to the point where we all basically had the same idea at the same time.  Though in my case, my role, while inspired by Cat 5, was also inspired by my role from last time, so this is like twice in a row I've done this.

1 hour ago, OrangeP47 said:

TBH I think this just means we all know each other very well by this point, to the point where we all basically had the same idea at the same time.  Though in my case, my role, while inspired by Cat 5, was also inspired by my role from last time, so this is like twice in a row I've done this.

If I were to have the time, I would like to make a forum game server. Implement a basic forum like we have here, but add in what's effectively a game engine. What that could allow for is running games where you get a randomly generated, anonymous pseudonym. You could try and figure out who is who by post style still, but you wouldn't know for sure who a person is.

Not sure if I'll be able to do that for a long while though, been asked to help with another open source project.

On MU I've seen them make new profiles for players to sign in to, for that purpose. I saw them do it for one of their big mash games. Afterwards players were allowed to keep using those profiles as they liked. So the guessing games continued even after that game was over, including cases where players traded those profiles.

Yeah, on MU using alts is fairly common, but they have a large player base so they're not as familiar with one another as we are.  I'd wager it wouldn't work as well here... though I say that and that one time Shade used the color orange in an anonymous mason and everyone thought he was me, so maybe it would work here...

Also let me introduce you guys to a game they run at MU on an annual basis.  "The Thing" Mafia.  Everyone is using an alt account and the GM knows all the passwords.  Each night, the mafia have the option to do a normal NK OR they "shed their skin" and the account doing the attack dies, and that player keeps playing the game using the account of the player targeted for the NK, who gets removed from the game but nobody knows.  It really keeps you guessing.

That all sounds really cool. I've been thinking of how it would all work on a technical level, what I have in mind would allow all of that and a lot more. If anyone is interested in contributing or learning software development as part of it, I can create a thread to get this organized. I just don't really have the time to get it done in a timely manner.

1 hour ago, OrangeP47 said:

Yeah, on MU using alts is fairly common, but they have a large player base so they're not as familiar with one another as we are.  I'd wager it wouldn't work as well here... though I say that and that one time Shade used the color orange in an anonymous mason and everyone thought he was me, so maybe it would work here...

Also let me introduce you guys to a game they run at MU on an annual basis.  "The Thing" Mafia.  Everyone is using an alt account and the GM knows all the passwords.  Each night, the mafia have the option to do a normal NK OR they "shed their skin" and the account doing the attack dies, and that player keeps playing the game using the account of the player targeted for the NK, who gets removed from the game but nobody knows.  It really keeps you guessing.

I know that role as a Disguiser. The problem with it is not only requiring high level forum access (in some cases), but our meta here is so solid that it’d be hard to pull off.

I've given it some thought, and it's interesting to see how much of a polar opposite role I had compared to my last Neutral role. Previously, I had a role that was designed from the ground up to just be a chaotic element that screwed with everyone for the fun of it. My intention was to shitpost and have fun the whole game, with the ability to bite Town or Scum in the ass if conditions were met. I ended up playing a major role in that game and did a lot to influence what happened.

This game, I had a role that was designed from the ground up to be a useful element for either side and introduce a cool side objective. My intention was to be a friendly, guiding voice that could be a boon to Town or Scum if certain conditions were met. I ended up just fighting for my life and not much else.

Makes too much sense to me that the troll role was the more successful one, is all I'm saying. :v 

1 hour ago, Killing_You said:

I've given it some thought, and it's interesting to see how much of a polar opposite role I had compared to my last Neutral role. Previously, I had a role that was designed from the ground up to just be a chaotic element that screwed with everyone for the fun of it. My intention was to shitpost and have fun the whole game, with the ability to bite Town or Scum in the ass if conditions were met. I ended up playing a major role in that game and did a lot to influence what happened.

This game, I had a role that was designed from the ground up to be a useful element for either side and introduce a cool side objective. My intention was to be a friendly, guiding voice that could be a boon to Town or Scum if certain conditions were met. I ended up just fighting for my life and not much else.

Makes too much sense to me that the troll role was the more successful one, is all I'm saying. :v 

The main problem with your role was having to gather multiple dragon balls in order to summon you and your lack of ways to influence the game with your actions, other than the standard ones.

A better design would be to require only one dragon ball to make a wish, and then have you pick yourself what wish you choose to grant that night from the actions submitted to you.

13 minutes ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

So who's running the next game? Did someone have a concept ready to go?

I believe it's between the following three people mainly? Although, it wouldn't completely surprise me if Mojoman might have been working on an RPG based game?

@iLikeToSnipe

@Killing_You

@Retaliation

14 minutes ago, Retaliation said:

If I do a game I'd probably be a 40k blackstone fortress themed CYOR. So only if people have the stomach for one of those again.

We do love our CYOR here though.

Unless you have a specific vision for a Mafia game, what roles you want to have in it and what game play mechanics it'll use, CYOR is a better way of setting it up.

Can't really argue with giving a player the freedom to choose what they'll be doing in a game with their own role after all.

3 hours ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

Only if nobody else steps up.

Feel free to do so. I was gonna try to have a TSR mafia thread posted by Monday, but if you want to go first, lemme know. It'd give me a little bit more time to have @NodliedCzech the roles for balancing purposes (unless he wants to play, of course) and give me a better idea of what my schedule going forward will look like, so that I know whether or not to have a co-mod.

2 hours ago, Killing_You said:

Feel free to do so. I was gonna try to have a TSR mafia thread posted by Monday, but if you want to go first, lemme know. It'd give me a little bit more time to have @NodliedCzech the roles for balancing purposes (unless he wants to play, of course) and give me a better idea of what my schedule going forward will look like, so that I know whether or not to have a co-mod.

As a quick update, I might have accidentally finished the role sheet just now, so it's ready to go whenever. But as I said, if you want to go first, feel free.

1 hour ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I expect to be off work for a good while yet, so I'm not in a hurry. I'd rather someone else run one now, as I'd like time to pre-produce assets for mine.

Fair enough. I'll put the thread up either this weekend or Monday.