Donald Trump is the next president of the USA

Jeod

I'm just going to copy/paste what I put on Facebook.

Well, we have a new president, and yeah I have a few words about it. This is going to be my last political post for a while, and I ask that you keep it civil in the comments section.

This whole election was a disaster. I don't think anyone will debate me on that. We were put in a pretty bad position with who our candidates were. It's made even worse by the DNC's baffling decision to nominate Hillary Clinton when the voice of the people clearly wanted Bernie Sanders. At this point, I don't understand how the two worst candidates out of not only this election cycle, but in American history, could have gotten this far, with one even going as far as to win the presidency.

So what do I think of President Trump? If he does everything that he says he'll do, this isn't going to go over very well. But I don't think half of what he wants to do will come to pass. To be completely honest, he seems like he was just saying a bunch of crap to get to the white house to inflate his ego. But either way, I don't see very much good coming out of him.

But above all, I urge everyone to stay calm. If you need to vent, that's fine. I understand that. If you want to leave the country and have plans to do so, that's fine too. You have every right to be irritated, and you have every right to do what you think needs to be done, provided that it doesn't involve violence. And if you feel that Trump was the better option, that's fine as well. I'm not going to tell you how to think or judge you for voting a certain way. I have friends and family on all sides of the political spectrum, and having seen people with so many perspectives I can honestly say that I see why someone would lean one way or another, even if I disagree heavily.

If you ask me, this is just clear evidence that we need to reform our electoral system. Sticking with a two-party system got us into this mess, and I don't know how much worse it could get. We're in this together, no matter what happens.

Let's do better in 2020, America.

So what do I think of President Trump? If he does everything that he says he'll do, this isn't going to go over very well. But I don't think half of what he wants to do will come to pass. To be completely honest, he seems like he was just saying a bunch of crap to get to the white house to inflate his ego.

Plus, y'know, Congress.

Remove Silverlight :v

He's already used to dealing with walls. Unless they have cavalry waiting behind, and implying that Trump is going to regress the country by that many years might be just a teensy bit hyperbolic.

Remove Silverlight :v

Does this mean I don't have to fight Voe? :v

Just you watch as Trump removes visas and I come to kick your ass.

In poker? Putin wants to be butt buddies with Trump.

Here are some policies for fun reading:

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/4abnz5/the_policies_of_donald_j_trump_how_to_make/

From a British point of view, I think it's a disaster. As a woman, I find his comments about women in general to be pretty appalling(wtf even about his own daughter?!), but enough about that. As a European, I also find it worrisome at how he'd consider nuking Europe over the whole Syria/ISIS/Muslim issue, even if he doesn't end up doing that, it's still worrying at how a man of that calibre gets access to the nuclear codes. I know both the Democratic and Republican parties have numerous stances on equality and gay marriage but I find his Vice-President's, Mike Pence, stance to be completely stupid and just plain dumb. He thinks that HIV research should be de-funded and the money used for gay conversion therapy. Jesus Christ on a bike, let that sink in for a moment... but at least he actually won't be able to do that, thankfully.

Hillary was also a terrible option, she failed before and nobody really wanted her still. Even if she won her mandate wouldn't last, we all knew she had health problems and was trying her hardest to hide it from the public. Not to mention I completely found it irritating at how she kept  claiming it was time for America to have a female president, at how they needed a woman in charge. Well I say this from across the pond, we had Margaret Thatcher and she was HORRIBLE, now we have Cruella de May in charge! It matters not what gender a person is, it matters what their policies are and whether they can run a country, but I digress. The safer options for the Democrats would've been to nominate Sanders. He would've given Trump a run for his money. (addendum, Larry Sanders, Bernies' brother tried to contest the Witney seat here as a Green Party candidate but lost, he was originally a member of the Labour Party under Tony Blair but left because of him.)

That being said, things aren't so great here. At least America went through the whole election process, Theresa May got in through the backdoor. Funny thing about that, back in 2007 she accused Gordon Brown not having the mandate to lead and demanded an election, now suddenly the tables have turned.

Now with Brexit, Trump's presidency and with more elections coming up in Europe, particularly the chance for Le Pen to win in France and Geert Wilders in The Netherlands, prospects are not that bright but at least these elections is one thing, it's a big middle finger to the established political elite.

This circus show had me face-palm through it every time I read about it. The result cannot be good for what we currently still know as "the west", and I do believe some significant break-ups in various levels will occur over the next four years. I do feel for the American citizens right now however, because the truth is, they had to make a vote between a pile of horse shit and a bucket of urine. Having two "bad" choices would probably have left a lot of people with a mentality similar to just saying "Fuck it, let's vote Trump and see how bad shit can really get".

Political parties in my country have already expressed concerns, and will be "holding back" more in terms of relations with America, should Trump indeed show signs of commitment to his campaign outings. Some are of course happy with the result, including The Netherland's very own version of Trump; Geert Wilders. The - what we call "extreme right" - are seemingly gaining momentum in countries such as America, France, and my own. And I just keep asking myself, why do people support these parties, when in general the state of our economy hasn't been as good as it is now compared to recent years?

It all comes down to one single subject; Immigration, or as some call it, the invasion of Muslims under the guise of "refugees", and America has South America on top of that as well. The fact that individual nations in Europe and States in America have little so say in these matters, also plays a big role in this, and ties to that isolationist mentality of "regaining control".

These are strange times. What we need is leaders who see people's concerns, share them, and act swiftly on them (Muslim immigration for example), while still keeping a cool head regarding other, less vocal subjects. For reasons unknown, this seems to be a political gap nearly everywhere, either extreme left "everyone is welcome", or extreme right "shut every door" policies run the show. The middle ground does not exist.

Yeah, Trump's victory in combination with Brexit is going to energise parties across the world that oppose illegal/uncontrolled immigration and the establishment. The people having a big old cry over his victory only have themselves to blame for creating him. It really didn't help them when they saw Remain's strategy of "1. demonise all opponents as sexist racist bigots, 2. claim that the opposing team's victory will lead to some completely unrelated extinction-level event, 3. go back to step 1" and decided that it couldn't possibly fail twice.

This circus show had me face-palm through it every time I read about it. The result cannot be good for what we currently still know as "the west", and I do believe some significant break-ups in various levels will occur over the next four years. I do feel for the American citizens right now however, because the truth is, they had to make a vote between a pile of horse shit and a bucket of urine. Having two "bad" choices would probably have left a lot of people with a mentality similar to just saying "Fuck it, let's vote Trump and see how bad shit can really get".

Political parties in my country have already expressed concerns, and will be "holding back" more in terms of relations with America, should Trump indeed show signs of commitment to his campaign outings. Some are of course happy with the result, including The Netherland's very own version of Trump; Geert Wilders. The - what we call "extreme right" - are seemingly gaining momentum in countries such as America, France, and my own. And I just keep asking myself, why do people support these parties, when in general the state of our economy hasn't been as good as it is now compared to recent years?

It all comes down to one single subject; Immigration, or as some call it, the invasion of Muslims under the guise of "refugees", and America has South America on top of that as well. The fact that individual nations in Europe and States in America have little so say in these matters, also plays a big role in this, and ties to that isolationist mentality of "regaining control".

These are strange times. What we need is leaders who see people's concerns, share them, and act swiftly on them (Muslim immigration for example), while still keeping a cool head regarding other, less vocal subjects. For reasons unknown, this seems to be a political gap nearly everywhere, either extreme left "everyone is welcome", or extreme right "shut every door" policies run the show. The middle ground does not exist.

Immigration was a HUGE play here, but just as huge was health care. ACA premiums skyrocketed just a month before the election and I do believe that was the tipping point for a lot of people. I was born in 1991, so I have never seen a president in office other than Bush, Clinton, Bush, and then Obama (who we thought would be different but turned out to be a trojan horse and a Clinton arm). The newest generation of voters want to experience something more than the same thing we've had for the past 30ish years, and if that meant choosing the bucket of piss over the pile or horseshit, then so be it.

Didn't Brexit turn out to be a good thing for the UK economy?

I just want to point out that Hillary won the popular vote by at least 200,000 votes. To me, that shows a worrying disconnect between the people and the government.

But really, assuming the numerous doomsday scenarios about nuking the Middle East or exterminating non-whites don't come to pass, this could be used to put some weight behind meaningful political reform. Hopefully, we don't find ourselves in a situation like this ever again.

Didn't Brexit turn out to be a good thing for the UK economy?

I'll avoid answering that due to not being very up to date on the state of the economy in the UK. I do know that my country, as a traditional trade based country, has expressed concerns about the Brexit.

But the bottom line is, people need to trade, and people will always be trading, so I personally doubt any country will want to limit that. What you instead could be looking at is higher import taxes for goods from Asia.

The American election system just shows how:

1) the people are uneducated and votes for the most exposed two in the media

2) the people have little say in important matters, it's lobbies and forsaken corporations that do, because capitalism and false democracy.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

I just want to point out that Hillary won the popular vote by at least 200,000 votes. To me, that shows a worrying disconnect between the people and the government.

But really, assuming the numerous doomsday scenarios about nuking the Middle East or exterminating non-whites don't come to pass, this could be used to put some weight behind meaningful political reform. Hopefully, we don't find ourselves in a situation like this ever again.

I'm 25 and still stupidly ignorant about the way the electoral college vs popular vote works. It seems to me that it should be the other way around. I expected Trump to win the popular vote but lose the electoral college. It's interesting because, in government, one would think Hillary would be favored due to her experience and connections.

2) the people have little say in important matters, it's lobbies and forsaken corporations that do, because capitalism and false democracy.

One of the highlights for the Trump campaign is that he didn't accept any donations from lobbyists--and I don't think many donated to him in the first place.

so I personally doubt any country will want to limit that.

Obama said Brexit Britain would be put at the back of the queue for trade deals. So basically holding it hostage because it made a choice he didn't like. Now Trump is moving it to the front of the queue.

One of the highlights for the Trump campaign is that he didn't accept any donations from lobbyists--and I don't think many donated to him in the first place.

You expect him (or anyone else, for that matter) to admit being related to lobbyists? That'd be political suicide.

You expect him (or anyone else, for that matter) to admit being related to lobbyists? That'd be political suicide.

It would be, and with the way the propaganda mainstream media has been in the past 18 months, I'd bet good money that if lobbyists were donating to him it would have been made known. The establishment in America hates Trump and showing that he was lying about lobbyists would have been a game-ending blow to his campaign.

Regarding Brexit, we still don't know yet. The government is facing numerous legal challenges and it's threatening the United Kingdom as a whole, as we speak. The Welsh don't particularly care, the Northern Irish are on the fence but the Scottish and Scottish Nationalist Party(SNP) are making moves to keep Britain and/or Scotland at least in the Single Market or if failing that Scotland will go for another independence vote. The British union as a whole is on thin ice. The Pound Sterling plummeted following Brexit (much like how Trump's win has caused the Mexican Peso to fall) and the Bank of England to slash interest rates but since the recent High Court ruling that Parliament must be allowed to scrutinise Brexit, the Pound has rose sharply. Britain and Germany are huge trading partners and a hard Brexit will hurt us both, not to mention other EU member states. It's uncertain whether our economy has truly been affected (despite the government basically saying lols you'll be fine) but like Trump's win, chaos has ensued.

Regarding Brexit, we still don't know yet. The government is facing numerous legal challenges and it's threatening the United Kingdom as a whole, as we speak. The Welsh don't particularly care, the Northern Irish are on the fence but the Scottish and Scottish Nationalist Party(SNP) are making moves to keep Britain and/or Scotland at least in the Single Market or if failing that Scotland will go for another independence vote. The British union as a whole is on thin ice. The Pound Sterling plummeted following Brexit (much like how Trump's win has caused the Mexican Peso to fall) and the Bank of England to slash interest rates but since the recent High Court ruling that Parliament must be allowed to scrutinise Brexit, the Pound has rose sharply. Britain and Germany are huge trading partners and a hard Brexit will hurt us both, not to mention other EU member states. It's uncertain whether our economy has truly been affected (despite the government basically saying lols you'll be fine) but like Trump's win, chaos has ensued.

Wow. Didn't know it was like that for you. The world is big and small all at once. Still, there's a sort of serenity in being a part of the present-day history. We'll be reading about these events in our children's history books in 40 years.

It just shows that people are fed up with the dinosaur establishment, globalism, crooked wall street thieves and their old ways and are starting to wake up or protest this way. After Brexit and now this, there will be a landslide of similar revolutions all across the world. Welcome to the land of Nod.

I'm pretty sure the idea behind nominating Clinton over Sanders is that she's overall the more measured and moderate candidate, able to attract consensus, and ultimately more likely to win. Sanders was seen as too much of a risk. Also, it wasn't just superdelegates tilting the primaries in favor of Clinton...I seem to recall that she won most of the primaries fair and square.

Personally, I don't think Clinton was anywhere as corrupt as Trump made her out to be. Sure she's got a spotty record, but a Clinton nominee to the Supreme Court would likely overturn Citizens United, and the Democrats are usually the ones favorably inclined towards campaign finance reform. Even if she had ties to Wall Street, political pressure would almost certainly have resulted in her choosing her voters over wealthy donors. But...even if you're convinced they're both scumbags...I'd still say people should have voted for Clinton. We can easily survive a Clinton presidency. Trump on the other hand...

I'm pretty sure the idea behind nominating Clinton over Sanders is that she's overall the more measured and moderate candidate, able to attract consensus, and ultimately more likely to win. Sanders was seen as too much of a risk. Also, it wasn't just superdelegates tilting the primaries in favor of Clinton...I seem to recall that she won most of the primaries fair and square.

Personally, I don't think Clinton was anywhere as corrupt as Trump made her out to be. Sure she's got a spotty record, but a Clinton nominee to the Supreme Court would likely overturn Citizens United, and the Democrats are usually the ones favorably inclined towards campaign finance reform. Even if she had ties to Wall Street, political pressure would almost certainly have resulted in her choosing her voters over wealthy donors. But...even if you're convinced they're both scumbags...I'd still say people should have voted for Clinton. We can easily survive a Clinton presidency. Trump on the other hand...

Clinton's proposed no-fly zone in Syria would have directly resulted in war with Russia. Wikileaks also had a direct impact in showing how corrupt Clinton was in accepting donations from Saudi Arabia and being virtually owned by them, which was not favorable given it came out that they funded 9/11.

I'm not really convinced the no-fly zone thing would have happened. Clinton is more hawkish than Obama, but only slightly.. The two of them generally share similar instincts and temperaments.

As for Wikileaks, okay I didn't pay much attention to that so I guess I won't comment...but the Saudis didn't fund 9/11. They do promote an intolerant version of Islam which we think contributes to terrorism...but fund 9/11? If that were true, the U.S. Army would be occupying Riyadh right now.

Edited by delta

Clinton's proposed no-fly zone in Syria would have directly resulted in war with Russia. Wikileaks also had a direct impact in showing how corrupt Clinton was in accepting donations from Saudi Arabia and being virtually owned by them, which was not favorable given it came out that they funded 9/11.

Don't forget the recently revealed "spirit" cooking. What a crazyland.

I'm not really convinced the no-fly zone thing would have happened. Clinton is more hawkish than Obama, but only slightly.. The two of them generally share similar instincts and temperaments.

As for Wikileaks, okay I didn't pay much attention to that so I guess I won't comment...but the Saudis didn't fund 9/11. They do promote an intolerant version of Islam which we think contributes to terrorism...but fund 9/11? If that were true, the U.S. Army would be occupying Riyadh right now.

There was a 28-page report about it that became declassified in July. I'm happy to hunt it down after work, but if you can search "saudi arabia funded 9/11" to see multiple news outlets reporting on it.

But above all, I urge everyone to stay calm. If you need to vent, that's fine. I understand that. If you want to leave the country and have plans to do so, that's fine too.

Nobody in Canada wants your scraps, and none of them will want to move to Mexico.

I just can't get over the fact you have people burning flags and having protests. It's like watching an entire nation have a temper tantrum.

Edited by Testament

It would be, and with the way the propaganda mainstream media has been in the past 18 months, I'd bet good money that if lobbyists were donating to him it would have been made known. The establishment in America hates Trump and showing that he was lying about lobbyists would have been a game-ending blow to his campaign.

The media shows what corporations tell them to show.

The media shows what corporations tell them to show.

Precisely. The establishment wanted Clinton. The people wanted Trump. The media would have destroyed Trump if it was found that he was in collusion with lobbyists when his entire premise was that he's anti-establishment.