[Game Over] The July Crisis Mafia

Nodlied

Alright, so as I expected, currently there is nothing in the Vault. Not even Jeod's Typewriter is in here, so either he kept it or it won't be in there until later. Being nominated gives you access to an item vault and evidence locker, and a place to put evidence that you think is true. 

You can take anything that is in the item vault using a night action. It isn't clear to me if the item can be used right away or if you must wait until the next phase. It also isn't clear if there is a limit to the number of items you can take at once. I also don't know if you can leave an item in the vault. There doesn't seem to be an action for it, but it seems like something that might make sense. None of those questions have specific answers, though I will be sure to ask them tonight.

For the evidence locker and truth sections, most things are pretty clear. There will be a list of evidence that you can peruse. As we've determined so far, there must be real and fake evidence. I have no idea how that works yet, as I have no examples of evidence to get an idea from. You can move around evidence between the locker and truth sections freely, without limits. You can also take evidence just like an item. (Again, I don't know if there is a limit to the number of things you can take.)

I apologize, OrangeP47. I had visitors over, so I only took a moment to make that post and went right back, so I didn't see your reply. Regarding FRAYDO, it isn't much of a case. Main points are that he's only posted twice, and both of his posts repeated the things we had been talking about, without generating a new point of discussion. 

Except for this part, in his second post, which included a disagreement with himself.

"While I agree that the person who is investigated should also be nominated for the evidence vault and I have my investigation vote on Jeod, I actually want to propose nominating Orange to visit the vault. I'm reading him as trustworthy and I would still like for Category5 to be investigated before being allowed access to the evidence locker."

In two sentences he went from saying that the investigated person and the nominated person should be the same person, to nominating someone different from the person he wants to investigate. He also wants me to be investigated before having access to the locker, but why isn't that a problem for OrangeP47, who has a history of going on a murderous rampage after being given access to a similar mechanic in the Death Note game?

This disagreement with himself looks like an attempt to promote a new idea without seeming to be against the original idea, so as to not stick out too much.

As far as Mojoman, he looks like he's repeating the "I'm going to say things about people looking suspicious without actually pushing hard in any direction" behavior he had last game, and he looks suspicious to me as a result of that. He's my #2 or #3 right now. Despite that, I think he has a point. Innocent, Suspicious and Hostile look like they will be entirely independent from side. There may be mafia that we're looking for that are currently innocent and may only turn suspicious or hostile depending on how the game goes. For example, maybe we need enough evidence on a suspect before we can make them Hostile and therefore use investigation to arrest them. Alternatively, fake evidence might be used to make town players get removed by investigation the same way, so we must always be careful.

No worries. The 'during daylight' was more because I didn't want to make you feel as if I was compelling you to use one of your limited nightposts.

I'll admit, I was mildly suspicious of FRAYDO as well, mostly because nominating me seemed to come out of left field. To me it looked like an attempt to butter me up and get me to lower my guard. To be fair, promoting an alternative to the Jeod-Cat 5 dynamic was a valid course of action, but it just came off awkwardly.  The double standard was just a bit glaring. You analyzed that more thoroughly than I did, but the sentiment is mostly the same. (And I'll refrain from commenting on that characterization of me, for now :v )

Regardless, I'm glad we know more about Jeod. While I agree innocent doesn't mean someone's fully cleared, I think Jeod's 'clear enough' for now. We grow paranoid of his capacity as scum, but we forget how powerful he can be as town, too.

On 8/2/2017 at 5:59 PM, Jeod said:

I'm innocent because I'm an American.

On 8/2/2017 at 10:32 PM, Killing You said:

I sincerely doubt he's actually american

7 hours ago, Nodlied said:

Looks like Jeod is going to be investigated. His real name is Joe Bronson and is an American national.

Are you feckin' kidding me?! And here I was thinking I was up-to-date on my WWI knowledge and had caught someone in a lie...

Yeah this is... embarrassing to say the least.

*sigh* On the bright side, I feel much more comfortable trusting Jeod now. I guess we'll discuss further matters and our next course of action in the AM? 'Til then... I'm just going to sit in the corner.

By the way, I've been clearing up some things here and there, and one of the things I would like to mention is that you can use as many different night actions as you like unless your profile says that you have to choose between one or the other.

Night ends in around 9 hours. Action deadline is in about 8 hours.

12 hours ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

Alright, so as I expected, currently there is nothing in the Vault. Not even Jeod's Typewriter is in here, so either he kept it or it won't be in there until later. Being nominated gives you access to an item vault and evidence locker, and a place to put evidence that you think is true. 

You can take anything that is in the item vault using a night action. It isn't clear to me if the item can be used right away or if you must wait until the next phase. It also isn't clear if there is a limit to the number of items you can take at once. I also don't know if you can leave an item in the vault. There doesn't seem to be an action for it, but it seems like something that might make sense. None of those questions have specific answers, though I will be sure to ask them tonight.

For the evidence locker and truth sections, most things are pretty clear. There will be a list of evidence that you can peruse. As we've determined so far, there must be real and fake evidence. I have no idea how that works yet, as I have no examples of evidence to get an idea from. You can move around evidence between the locker and truth sections freely, without limits. You can also take evidence just like an item. (Again, I don't know if there is a limit to the number of things you can take.)

I apologize, OrangeP47. I had visitors over, so I only took a moment to make that post and went right back, so I didn't see your reply. Regarding FRAYDO, it isn't much of a case. Main points are that he's only posted twice, and both of his posts repeated the things we had been talking about, without generating a new point of discussion. 

Except for this part, in his second post, which included a disagreement with himself.

"While I agree that the person who is investigated should also be nominated for the evidence vault and I have my investigation vote on Jeod, I actually want to propose nominating Orange to visit the vault. I'm reading him as trustworthy and I would still like for Category5 to be investigated before being allowed access to the evidence locker."

In two sentences he went from saying that the investigated person and the nominated person should be the same person, to nominating someone different from the person he wants to investigate. He also wants me to be investigated before having access to the locker, but why isn't that a problem for OrangeP47, who has a history of going on a murderous rampage after being given access to a similar mechanic in the Death Note game?

This disagreement with himself looks like an attempt to promote a new idea without seeming to be against the original idea, so as to not stick out too much.

As far as Mojoman, he looks like he's repeating the "I'm going to say things about people looking suspicious without actually pushing hard in any direction" behavior he had last game, and he looks suspicious to me as a result of that. He's my #2 or #3 right now. Despite that, I think he has a point. Innocent, Suspicious and Hostile look like they will be entirely independent from side. There may be mafia that we're looking for that are currently innocent and may only turn suspicious or hostile depending on how the game goes. For example, maybe we need enough evidence on a suspect before we can make them Hostile and therefore use investigation to arrest them. Alternatively, fake evidence might be used to make town players get removed by investigation the same way, so we must always be careful.

That makes sense. I'll wager there's a role that can inspect evidence and determine whether a piece is real or fake. I expect the next day to tell us more about this game in general.

21 hours ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

For the purpose of placing votes, I'm going to mark my top suspect for investigation. I don't actually want him investigated, but I don't want to early hammer either, but I still want to place a vote.

So ##voteinvestigate FRAYDO, and ##nominate @VERTi60 because he hasn't said a word and I want to tag him.

As I said I'll be busy until mid Aug, after 17th. I might have time to pop up occasionally but I don't have time to follow and read the topic.

Regarding the questions I said I'd ask about, you can't use items taken the night you take them. You can use it the next day if it's a day-use item, or next night if it's a night-use item.

If you wish to take something from the vault, you can only take one piece of evidence or one item. Nobody can clean out the vault and run, so that's good. (You can completely reorganize everything that is in the vault, though)

You can leave an item in the vault. Apparently you can pass items to the vault without having access to it.

6Pc6jTF.png

A new day dawns and everything seems to be well. Birds chirp, people are starting work, and you are back to investigating the assassination. Remember to disregard all fake evidence when trying to present the truth!

However, before we begin, let's read the morning paper shall we?

City's breaking down on a camel's back
They just have to go 'cause they don't know whack
So all you fill the streets it's appealing to see
You won't get out of the county, 'cause you're bad and free
You've got a new horizon It's ephemeral style
A melancholy town where we never smile
And all I want to hear is the message beep
MY dreams, they've got to kiss, because I don't get sleep, no

qR8D9Hw.png

Today's theme for our friends who like music.

~48 hours remain until the end of the day!

Oh, Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc. Classic, nice choice.

Well, it seems that either we were right that scum aren't able to nightkill until a certain tension threshold is reached, or wrong and scum wasn't able to nightkill tonight for another reason. Interesting that World Tension went up to 19%. I was thinking it might go up by 10% + X% per action, to help move the game along (and because we started at 10%), but it seems like it directly relates to us rather than the days themselves.

For now we're certain that Jeod has no evidence to speak of and seems innocent enoguh, so he's been lowered to the bottom of my suspect pool. I still feel that Cat5 is Town as well. Mojo is fairly suspicious, he seems to be acting fairly similar to last game (mostly jokes) but I'm hesitant to think that he'd be scum twice in a row. I'm a little concerned about FRAYDO since he feels a bit out of character. Orange seems the same as usual. Although a bit off topic, it's odd for me to think of Orange going on a murder spree like he apparently did in Death Note. Whenever I've played with him he's always been town or town-like. It's weird to think of him possibly killing people. I don't have much of a read on KY, CK, or Retaliation (or Vert but he's afk). More talking would be great.

The obligatory: anybody have anything to report?

1 hour ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

You can leave an item in the vault. Apparently you can pass items to the vault without having access to it.

I haven't payed much attention to the game but this interested me. Don't you have the pass item as night action? I don't have any items and yet I still have the action - either pass item to player or vault. Not sure if this was a slip or Cat5 doesn't read his PM.

1 minute ago, Killing You said:

My question is: what happened during the night to make the world tension go up?

I would assume it'd be night actions. I wonder if Nod set it up to be something like +3% WT for a standard night action, or if there are specific actions that cause the tension to rise.

I feel like your ability is a bit pointless though, Jeod, as you could just as easily report pretty much anything you know during the day, aside from your death. Unless you have something important to say, try not to use your ability so we can see if it can help slow the increase in WT.

Just now, TheIrishman said:

I feel like your ability is a bit pointless though, Jeod, as you could just as easily report pretty much anything you know during the day, aside from your death. Unless you have something important to say, try not to use your ability so we can see if it can help slow the increase in WT.

I'd thought about that earlier in the night. The only advantage I can see from using the typewriter is that the action would go through before my death.

I effectively already did my night report. The only thing I could add is that nothing happened to me.

@TheIrishman OrangeP47's merry malicious murderous malefaction was carried out in first appearance with us, in the Death Note game. Given that it was his first impression, it sticks with me. Similar to this game, other players gave him access to investigative powers which handed him a Death Note, which he then used to great effect. Everybody trusted him, he never really had any scummy behavior. He was able to play the innocent, helpful guy long enough that we only figured out the puzzle after the master plan had already been put into effect. We caught him, but it was nearly too late. If it weren't for a gift that was given to me that nobody knew about, it probably would have ended in total victory for him. It still was a victory, just not a total victory.

@VERTi60, I didn't notice it. When looking through the rules of the vault, the rules did not specifically mention placing an item in the vault when taking from it was mentioned. I thought it was natural to expect a mention of placing an item in there as part of the list of actions. I didn't think to go back and cross reference my role PM, which I read much earlier, to see if I could pass to the vault. I did know you could pass items to other players. though it didn't stick with me that you could pass to the vault even without having access to it.

Jeod's ability would have been more useful if it wasn't clear who was doing it. Maybe even better if there was more than one person doing it. Perhaps it could still be useful if there are other secret channels of communication. Don't really know what could be done with that, though.

Well, so far it's pretty boring on my side of things as well.

I doubt Jeod's ability has anything to do with tension though since it's just some text he can write up at will. Indeed just like Chicago mafia game (ah, good old times). 
There has to be something else affecting tensions.

Well you have to think outside of the box. And it's also the media that is increasing the tension too in the world (he who controls the media controls the world).

But personally yea, there might be something else that could make more sense, or it's a combination of things.

The way I see things, we have 3 options.  I'll list them in no particular order.

1)  We continue to try to clear people. Do for others what we did for Jeod.  This can help make the town more informed, but might not be the most productive use of our time when we could possibly be nailing someone.

2)  Traditional scum hunt.  We don't have much to go on, though.  The *most* we have seems to be something a few of us picked up on FRAYDO, but that's hardly a case so far, though I would like to hear from him more. Though hearing for more people, maybe others have things to report that could aid us with this.

3) Go after the inactives.  Scum could be hiding among the more inactive people.  This is hit or miss, but it does have the upside of informing the town either way, as investigations aren't fatal.  If people have 'evidence' they don't know anything about on their person, too, we might reveal some this way.  At the very least we can pressure people into participating more, which is good.  Right now it seems to me FRAYDO and Retaliation are really the inactive ones.  I was worried about Verti, but he seems to have a valid excuse, and despite said excuse has participated recently.  CK isn't the greatest either, but he's popped in, and I was wrong about him last time. (I don't know everyone's 'meta' as well as the rest of you guys, after all).

Oh, and I forgot to mention Mojo.  I can never read that guy, so the rest of you are better at analyzing what he's doing than I am.  As such maybe he fits in under option 2, but it's not the best case.  I wanted a solution focused-approach, but in retrospect I felt maybe I left a hole in my analysis by failing to mention him.

I have a theory that investigating players contributes to world tension, sort of like the Steins;Gate game where roles were locked in as lynches and kills were made. Could be wrong though, since tension didn't rise on the D1 end post.

I was given a report by a source that claims FRAYDO took no action last night. So he's out of the investigation for today, maybe. I haven't picked up any bad vibes from Mojoman yet.

Well, I wouldn't say that clears him, but it would mean that he didn't cause the world tension to rise, at least (technically still a maybe, but if it was him, this game is designed silly then...)

For all intents and purposes that's a strong sign to pick someone else, I guess. We'd have someone else who's of greater importance to investigate, at least, if we can figure that person out.

The combination of Splatoon 2, Friday Night Magic, and lack of scum buddies has greatly interfered with my ability/desire to keep the game in my attention. I think I'd actually welcome a bit of grilling because I have trouble figuring things out when I'm town aligned.