[Game Over - Town Victory] Pokemafia 2

OrangeP47

TBH I'd pick scratch over fury swipes.

But let me present this from an alternate angle.  With only 4 moves, you have to make choices about what you want to cover.  That lack of flexibility you see as a downside, I actually see as an upside.  If you could cover everything, everyone would pick the same thing, and quickly the game would be boring because the same thing is the only thing ever picked.  Without these limitations, some pokemon become useless, because other pokemon can just pick up the slack.

Just now, Category 5 Hurricane said:

You can never cover everything. It's about being able to cover more options and making less-used moves more viable. Everything in pokemon has expanded multiple times over since the 90s, except the number of moves one pokemon can remember.

Well technically with Gen 7 you got a 5th move in Z moves.  TBH it's only an "okay" feature.

I mean, you talk about tricky tactics, yeah, sure, you can build tricky pokemon. I watched a battle where one guy had 5 of the same pokemon and 1 of another, and he quickly made a pokemon that was super stacked in evasion and debuffed the hell out of his opponent until his opponent basically had no chance of ever hitting him and doing damage. But that build had nothing to do with reacting to what his opponent was, and was totally about setting a trap that would work on literally any opponent that doesn't have the move Swift somewhere on his roster.

1 minute ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I mean, you talk about tricky tactics, yeah, sure, you can build tricky pokemon. I watched a battle where one guy had 5 of the same pokemon and 1 of another, and he quickly made a pokemon that was super stacked in evasion and debuffed the hell out of his opponent until his opponent basically had no chance of ever hitting him and doing damage. But that build had nothing to do with reacting to what his opponent was, and was totally about setting a trap that would work on literally any opponent that doesn't have the move Swift somewhere on his roster.

Eh, there are a lot more moves now that always hit, and generally people try and make use of them.  That said, in pure competitive, that probably wouldn't work because of the no dupes clause.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. The 4 move limitation meant that the only way to combat that guy's style of play was to keep Swift-like moves on all of your pokemon, effectively meaning the only way to be competitive is have 3 moves plus Swift.

If you have more moves, you have more room to respond to things. I'm talking reactive tactics, not unstoppable grand battle plans.

Well to be fair as well, a lot of competitive formats ban accuracy/evasion effecting moves.  Granted, I'm generally in favor of less restrictions than more, as I prefer "true to the original" when it comes to games, but generally if there's a way to cheese the system the community has taken care of it.  For example, Fly and Dig are banned as are all moves that make you unhittable for one round, I actually disagree with that, but it's pretty much the gold standard for competitive nonetheless.

The whole thing about banning moves is that players decide that the game isn't fun if specific tactics are allowed. But in my opinion, the 4-move limit is a big part of that problem. Gimmicky setups like the one I mentioned won't work when the opponent has more options to counter.

I mean, call me cynical, but if someone has 24 moves to work with and doesn't have an autohit move, that same person probably isn't going to have an autohit move at 36 moves.

Though if you want true challenges, go to showdown battles and choose "random battle".  Never know what you're going to get then.

31 minutes ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

Nevermind, I'd be 2 HP short of killing it if it's back to full health. And then I'd be OHKO myself. If there is someone who has better odds, great, although I'm not getting a super good read on TheIrishman, and I'd prefer not to send him.

Massacre a Psyduck you say?

On 2/27/2019 at 6:33 PM, Jeod said:

If they do, then they out themselves as Rocket which is the equivalent if not better of an investigation. Plus, investigations are in the battle phase, so I'd expect the results to be public.

I think what I would be worried about now is giving our scum suspect a free kill and allow him to get even stronger, and this goes doubly for someone who has already won a battle. The time to send scum suspects to the wolves has past now that most of us can probably win.

8 hours ago, Jeod said:

Grats, did Cat5 get you started? I don't think the name of the romhack was mentioned, but I did send it to Cat5 since he said he'd never played Gen2.

Nah you guys mentioned it a couple pages back when talking about Eevees, so I decided to give it a go for fun. Also thought it might give me a better grasp about the investigations, but that's minor in comparison.

Cat5, although I don't like you calling me a scum suspect, I already said that I'd rather send Jeod or Killing Flower go for this one.

26 minutes ago, Killing_You said:

I do have a grass-type as my primary. I suppose that could work against a Psyduck.

What's the level difference if you go up against a level 30 Psyduck? A type advantage won't get you very far without the base stats to back it up also.

7 hours ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I think what I would be worried about now is giving our scum suspect a free kill and allow him to get even stronger, and this goes doubly for someone who has already won a battle. The time to send scum suspects to the wolves has past now that most of us can probably win.

Fair point.

##nominate Killing_You

CVC

Killing_You leads trainer

Route 34 leads rocket

Valid investigation zones:  Goldenrod Radio Tower, Goldenrod Gym, Route 30, Route 34

Current Active players

1.  TheIrishman - Irishman/trainer

2.  Jeod - Killing_You/trainer, Route 34/rocket

3.  Retaliation - no votes

4.  Shade939 - Killing_You/trainer, Route 34/rocket

5.  Killing_You - no votes

6.  Brigitte - Brigitte/trainer, Route 34/rocket

7.  Cat 5 - no votes