Sign in to follow this  
Einstein

Blast from the Past! Red Alert: A Path Beyond [BETA] 1.2.0 - returning soon!

1 hour ago, NodGuy said:

It's beautiful. :clap:

Haha the original team would be proud.

Just another useless tidbit: So the original 0.900 was a .pkg mod, which isn't really "cool" nowadays. Making it into a standalone wasn't really possible/worth doing (it would use the Renegade menu and tons of other stuff if someone did that), so instead I was able to fool around enough with it to get it to run in version 0.9915, which is 3 versions later, and standalone. And just FYI the two versions in between, 990 and 991; I can't find 990 anywhere. Its the only one I don't have. And 991 was simply broken, damaged in "shipping" and DOA. 9915 is nothing more than a fix to make 991 run at all, and they are otherwise identical. So now 0.900 lives on as a single map within 9915 (both of which are broken in various ways) :v

See? There really are people in this world who are a wealth of considerably useless information :xD:

8 minutes ago, ganein14 said:

wtf did you do Einstein...

I can't seem to find my lab assistant....

16 hours ago, Einstein said:

I can't seem to find my lab assistant....

Found him! He was just hiding in a corner busy working on this! :v

Lots of silence lately, and for that I apologize. I just wanted to make a quick note here that this thing is not dead, not at all! I have just not had time to work on it in a couple months due to some IRL things. But stay tuned, it is coming soon:)

Update!

A much-needed scripts feature was added today. Developers using the latest 4.6 update can now globally enable or disable the VIS (visual culling) system permanently.

What and why? Well, VIS was used originally as a way to squeeze some performance out of the game by "culling" visible objects once they were a certain distance away. It uses fancy math and requires lots of manual setup on the part of the map maker in order to work correctly. So from then (long long ago....) to now, some changes have been made to this system, as well as the level of meticulousness paid by the map makers to its implementation. So what we get when we dump new engine code in with a 12+ year old version of a W3D game, is some really funky looking stuff. What we call VIS errors or "holes". Things that display incorrectly, and can actually be very distracting or confusing depending on where and when they appear.

Ok so why is this important? So with 12+ years of engine improvements in other areas, coupled with the (comparatively) simplistic nature of older games/maps, what we get is the lack of need for a visual culling system. So we turns it off :v

The ability to toggle the system off completely with a setting, INSTEAD of having to import every single map and remove or fix the VIS information is obviously desirable. And it has instant benefits! Compare the screenshots below for a fine example of the weirdness that VIS can cause (first shot), versus just turning it off (second shot). Notice that the FPS is still pegged out even with the system disabled. Performance impact is zero.

Screenshot.1.pngScreenshot.2.png

In other news, development on this has been stalled for a little while now, but hopefully will pick up again in the near future. This is the first notable update in a while, but a very important stepping stone on the road to release. We are so close! Stay tuned and hopefully this thing will be in your hands soon!