[GAME OVER- ATREIDES VICTORY] Battle for Dune Mafia 1

Killing_You
Message added by Jeod,

4 minutes ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

What was this 36-hour temper tantrum and then pitiful self-vote all about?

I know you only need just one of us to change our minds, but being weirdly aggro to Shade isn't gonna do it.

GAME END

zrIPRA9.jpg

With the day coming to a close, you arrest Category 5 Hurricane under suspicion of being a Harkonnen spy. Not wanting to make any more mistakes, you decide to bring him before a Truthsayer. Unable to resist the influence of the Bene Gesserit, he confesses to being a Harkonnen agent. He also reveals that he was instructed to weaken the Elite guard from within before making their move. However, in the process, he reveals a startling truth: House Harkonnen was not responsible for the death of Duke Rogal Atreides. Before he could be questioned further, however, a dart strikes him in the neck, and he falls over dead.

Category 5 Hurricane was Fassur Tomicki, a Harkonnen Levenbrech!

What does this mean? If House Harkonnen did not kill the Duke, who did? And for what purpose? These questions will be answered in due time. For now, it's time to celebrate your victory, and hold a coronation ceremony. All hail Duke Achillus Atreides!

9QjZF3j.jpg

POST-GAME ANALYSISI'll be honest, I did not see this game turning out the way it did. With two power roles per faction, one rolecop and one roleblocker, I anticipated a cat-and-mouse chase with the night actions, along with a couple of counterclaims. But it was not meant to be, as both Town power roles successfully targeted both Scum night one. In fact, had Cat5 targeted anyone else, Irish would've discovered his roleblocking ability, and the jig would be up. Cat5 passing away his Hunter-Seeker drone was also quite unfortunate, as it would've allowed him to punch through both being roleblocked and Louis' shield. This would've made N2 much easier for him, and the game would've likely gone in a much different direction. That said, since Jeod and Cat5 had a hard time coordinating their cover story for N1, it was unfortunately a matter of time.

As for the setup itself? I think it's quite solid, probably my best balanced setup so far. Aside from a couple of flavor bits, there's not much I'd change about it, and I don't think my minor errors had a major impact on the game (if at all).

So, what was the long story bit on this post about? Well, dear reader, it is a tease. Sometime this summer (likely after the next Mafia game or two), we'll be returning to Arrakis for a more intricate, more story-heavy game. Based heavily on @ Nodlied 's incredible July Crisis Mafia, the Dune Landsraad mafia will feature several players trying to piece together evidence and solve a mystery, while other players will be trying to stop them and cause an intergalactic war. Featuring an Imperium Tension mechanic, investigations that will aid in finding evidence without removing players, and much more, this promises to be quite an affair more complex than anything we've had in a while. Until then, there will hopefully be many more Mafias to be had. See you next game!

1 minute ago, Retaliation said:

Ah so scum just got completely screwed over.

Let's admit it--Jeod failing the "r u scum" test was the start of the end for this Harkonnen mission. Only went downhill after that.

4 minutes ago, ChopBam said:

Let's admit it--Jeod failing the "r u scum" test was the start of the end for this Harkonnen mission. Only went downhill after that.

I still don't put any faith in that test. I don't know what it's supposed to be about in the first place, but given the presumably psychological aspect of it (expecting scum to joke/provide sarcasm instead of being bluntly honest), I don't give it attention because of how easily it can be manipulated. This is something I actually did want to talk to Chop about at the time, but then Shade kept being himself.

Read the dead doc for my thoughts on our unfortunate situation. KY's right that we did have trouble coordinating our moves, in part because Cat5 was a bit cryptic about what he was going to do in the scumdoc (for example he said I should remain ignorant about being roleblocked, but that was after I'd already said I was jailed--backtracking would only put more suspicion on me). Moreso in part that we lacked flavor knowledge, and even moreso in part that Shade kept complete control of the narrative to the point where it wasn't too fun to play the game (lack of participation and/or sheeping).

Good job Shade for the great plays. Not so good job for your "end justifies the means" approach.

@ Killing_You , I want to point out that the fact that I could tell how you had the game setup and balanced is a good thing, it does actually means it makes sense how things where set up so you could look at the overall picture to figure out what the missing pieces should be.

8 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

@ Killing_You , I want to point out that the fact that I could tell how you had the game setup and balanced is a good thing, it does actually means it makes sense how things where set up so you could look at the overall picture to figure out what the missing pieces should be.

You still ended up taking it too far at times. You've played my Open Janitorial games, so you should know the difference between this kind of game and an open setup. Relying on flavor knowledge is not the way to go. It creates unfair advantages and disadvantages, even unintentionally. Take Retaliation for example. As soon as you called attention to the low probability of Cat5's bus driver claim matching up with the Dune flavor, it prevented him from deviating from the end of that tunnel. Instead of considering other possibilities, I imagine his approach changed to "Cat5 is most likely scum, so how?" -- it makes scum's role in the game much more difficult and in many cases pointless.

2 minutes ago, Jeod said:

You still ended up taking it too far at times. You've played my Open Janitorial games, so you should know the difference between this kind of game and an open setup. Relying on flavor knowledge is not the way to go. It creates unfair advantages and disadvantages, even unintentionally. Take Retaliation for example. As soon as you called attention to the low probability of Cat5's bus driver claim matching up with the Dune flavor, it prevented him from deviating from the end of that tunnel. Instead of considering other possibilities, I imagine his approach changed to "Cat5 is most likely scum, so how?" -- it makes scum's role in the game much more difficult and in many cases pointless.

Have you considered all of the problems with claiming to be a bus driver to start with? So the only way it could be in this game was if Killing_You had really put it in game, and given it an in flavor justification for the ability like all of the other roles in game?

At most, I was expecting that he was lieing about a bus driver, and was using it as cover for what his real ability was. Which if he was Town, he would come clean about later on.

Although still, I was more expecting him to redirect or control or duplicate Louis's ability than to be another role blocker.

3 minutes ago, Retaliation said:

I didn't put any stock in Shade's talk about flavor. Cat5 could easily have been an ornithopter pilot, guild navigator, or bene gesserit and been a viable bus driver flavor.

Part of the reason I didn't really contribute to discussion (other than forgetting the game exists...) is that going back and analyzing the traditional Shade vs Jeod fight is tiring and old hat. Ironically the only thing I really remembered was how vague cat5 was about his role because it was incredibly confusing figuring out what happened between Jeod and Irish.

2 minutes ago, Jeod said:

This is why I'm hesitant to host more mafia games.

I feel like it's just going to take a minute to get everyone back in the groove of things. It was definitely nice to have a Mafia game again, despite the inactivity.

3 minutes ago, Jeod said:

This is why I'm hesitant to host more mafia games.

There used to be this nice YO notification whenever someone posted but now it's gone for me :(. Apparently I was utterly dependent on that.

Also dealing with a lot more IRL stuff this past year like a job and preparing to move for a masters program.

1 minute ago, Retaliation said:

There used to be this nice YO notification whenever someone posted but now it's gone for me :(. Apparently I was utterly dependent on that.

Also dealing with a lot more IRL stuff this past year like a job and preparing to move for a masters program.

I do miss that sound effect. Now I have to constantly refresh the page, even leaving a tab open doesn't always tell me if there's new posts.

Congrats on the job and masters. I can't speak for the masters degree; it depends on what it's for, but I think I can confidently tell you that it's only part of the means to an end. My coworker has a masters in cyber security, and he works the same position I do except full time. I only have a bachelor's. To that end, I'm coming up on my second kid and I'm still making time for mafia. :v

Honestly, I had a lot of fun in this game. I did miss playing mafia a lot and I felt like I participated a bit more than I usually did. Also I have started to pick up on a few things this game than any other previous games.

13 minutes ago, Retaliation said:

Hey @ OWA Any chance we could have an option to bring this back? I never liked it personally, but I'm all for anything that helps promote Mafia activity.

So, here's a thought. What if we just planned on doing one or two epic games a year? Schedule something months in advance and make it something people actually mark down on their calendars. I'd like to hop back in and join, just hasn't worked out lately with my schedule.

5 minutes ago, iLikeToSnipe said:

So, here's a thought. What if we just planned on doing one or two epic games a year? Schedule something months in advance and make it something people actually mark down on their calendars. I'd like to hop back in and join, just hasn't worked out lately with my schedule.

One problem with that is I don’t have great skill to host epic games like verti does. And I also don’t think mafia is something people should use real-life PTO for.