APB: Hostile Waters

Raap

Looks interesting. Are you planning to quadrify the buildings?

My 3DS has always generated mesh like this, and 3DS 8 doesn't have a one-click solution for it (unless I am overlooking it).

It doesn't matter much since it actually helps me see where vertex light solve would go in W3D, and correct it as I go.

Edit: The mesh in the previous images isn't done being optimized so keep that in mind.

Edited by Raap

Looks interesting. Are you planning to quadrify the buildings?

My 3DS has always generated mesh like this, and 3DS 8 doesn't have a one-click solution for it (unless I am overlooking it).

It doesn't matter much since it actually helps me see where vertex light solve would go in W3D, and correct it as I go.

Edit: The mesh in the previous images isn't done being optimized so keep that in mind.

I use Polyboost, which does include a one-click quadrify function. It's included in my tools pack. Let me know if you want it.

I do know there's another function built-in to 3ds max 8 which lets you see the triangle edgeflow and flip the unseen edges, for everything that's quadrified or n-gon'd. In Polygon subobject mode, hit "edit triangulation" under the "edit polygons" rollout and you should be able to see them as dotted lines. Clicking from desired vertex to desired vertex will adjust your triangulation accordingly.

The reason I like to use quads is because it is a much cleaner look, and more importantly, I can use edgeloops properly and select faces without having to click twice every time I select one.

I use Polyboost, which does include a one-click quadrify function. It's included in my tools pack. Let me know if you want it.

If it is max8 compatible, sure, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to speed up the cleaning process.

Alright, here is the last work in progress update on the Advanced Naval Yard. Special thanks to Generalcamo for some assets.

Note that this render does not include crates, containers, barrels, and whatever. Just the base model.

Some textures are subject to change, if and once I get around creating new ones.

IKU8zNV.jpg

4PSSNzd.jpg

As always, feedback is welcome.

Edit: Don't mind the missing (black) textures, that's just a file missing.

Edited by Raap

Note that the advanced naval buildings, besides the obvious addition of defenses, also offer double the health of their regular counterparts, as well as a faction-locked MCT room.

I would assume thats in the top level..?

Also I kinda wanna see these as DM maps :v

I wouldn't mind that either, provided it were a much smaller map for cases like that. There's a lot of potential here!

The faction locked MCT's are out for now, however the Allied naval yard does have a few faction locked doors in order to limit the amount of attack routes to the MCT to 3; The same number as the Soviet sub pen has.

The Allied MCT is located in the central upper room.

But these buildings honestly aren't large enough to be maps of their own, neither are they designed for that.

Unfortunately the sub pen has to be re-textured at a later date due to having several multi-material objects, and there is no way to "undo" multi-materials besides outright redoing the texture work. This will take a lot of time and won't be something I'll bother with until the map is near completion.

Edited by Raap

Files for the first "raw" version handed over to the W3D QA team for murdering inspection. Development is on hold, pending their feedback.

Edit: I'll mention that the map is a night time map right now, I thought it looked better.

Edited by Raap

Thanks for the kind words.

The map and naval yard are currently undergoing a few changes, one of them being that the doors and gates are damageable - I had no idea this was made possible by the programming team in my absence.

Some other changes are being worked on by Generalcamo based on tester feedback.

The map and naval yard are currently undergoing a few changes, one of them being that the doors and gates are damageable - I had no idea this was made possible by the programming team in my absence.

It was actually possible all-along. Simply put, nobody knew about it.

W3D was always full of surprises.

I think I see a small flaw with the Advance Naval Yard. A hind could crash land on the upper deck and the pilot would be able to attack the MCT since the side upper doors aren't faction locked liked the lower ones. Heck, one side next to a door is big enough for a helicopter to land there with only having to worry about just 1 AA gun.

Edited by neko soldier

I think I see a small flaw with the Advance Naval Yard. A hind could crash land on on the upper deck and the pilot would be able to attack the MCT since the side upper doors aren't faction locked liked the lower ones. Heck, one side next to a door is big enough for a helicopter to land there with only having to worry about just 1 AA gun.

Soviets don't need a Hind for that; stairs lead up to the upper level and MCT room, which is intended by design to limit the number of possible attack routes to 3, the same number as the Sub Pen. The Sub Pen does this limiting of routes by the design of the building, so for the naval Yard I had two options; Block off the lower area with walls and make it no longer look like a Red Alert inspired naval building, or force a similar gameplay effect via locked doors.

That said, take this roof landing theory; but then apply the knowledge that in the base itself also exist several AA Guns, including one on top of the Construction Yard close to the Naval Yard.

Unless the AA defenses are destroyed by ships or infantry, the air space above the naval buildings and bases is effectively a no-fly zone.

Edit: To be clear; I tested trying to charge at the Naval Yard and Sub Pen with a helicopter to see how close I'd get. I never made it near them.

Edited by Raap

I still don't know about it. Door tiles have no HP and are not destroyable.

So what kind of preset opens like doors but can be destroyed?

I think I see a small flaw with the Advance Naval Yard. A hind could crash land on on the upper deck and the pilot would be able to attack the MCT since the side upper doors aren't faction locked liked the lower ones. Heck, one side next to a door is big enough for a helicopter to land there with only having to worry about just 1 AA gun.

Soviets don't need a Hind for that; stairs lead up to the upper level and MCT room, which is intended by design to limit the number of possible attack routes to 3, the same number as the Sub Pen. The Sub Pen does this limiting of routes by the design of the building, so for the naval Yard I had two options; Block off the lower area with walls and make it no longer look like a Red Alert inspired naval building, or force a similar gameplay effect via locked doors.

That said, take this roof landing theory; but then apply the knowledge that in the base itself also exist several AA Guns, including one on top of the Construction Yard close to the Naval Yard.

Unless the AA defenses are destroyed by ships or infantry, the air space above the naval buildings and bases is effectively a no-fly zone.

Edit: To be clear; I tested trying to charge at the Naval Yard and Sub Pen with a helicopter to see how close I'd get. I never made it near them.

So, the only door to the Sub Pen MCT is not going to be faction locked like in it's WIP video then since Naval Yard's is accessible, just going to be tough to get to it.

One prefixed with the name of the building mesh (like mabar#dr for the doors of the Allied Barracks which is mabar). :)

So, the only door to the Sub Pen MCT is not going to be faction locked like in it's WIP video then since Naval Yard's is accessible, just going to be tough to get to it.

The sub pen door is no longer a faction locked door. :)

Maybe change the turret in the yard to pillbox?

Pillboxes aren't as effective against submarines as turrets, which is the primary purpose of the turret being there.

These are doors targetable as part of the building, not destructible doors.