APB: Hostile Waters

Raap

Looking really good Raap! One thing that I'd say though is that the bottom deck of the Advanced Naval yard looks pretty bare. Perhaps more more crates/barrels clutter spread around that area would make the place more interesting to run around, as well as provide cover for marauding parties of infantry. :)

Wait, Batlaf is still around?!

Legends say that you must call his name out three times, in your best EVA impersonation.

BattleLaf

BattleLaf

BattleLaf

Once you have completed this step, you then say the secret phrase, again in your best EVA impersonation.

Intelligence Dubious

Intelligence Dubious

Intelligence Dubious

Only from completing these steps, would he then appear before you.

This map makes Santa Claus weep with joy.

I'm pretty sure I'd need more candy canes added before that were to happen.

Slight development delay; RL is holding me up for a moment. Expect some sort of an update by next weekend, when I should have had more time to work on the map.

Wait, Batlaf is still around?!

Legends say that you must call his name out three times, in your best EVA impersonation.

BattleLaf

BattleLaf

BattleLaf

Once you have completed this step, you then say the secret phrase, again in your best EVA impersonation.

Intelligence Dubious

Intelligence Dubious

Intelligence Dubious

Only from completing these steps, would he then appear before you.

I wish the "dont buy demolition trucks" radio message was still available.

The NW voice commands only had "defend the X" voices. That's kinda why I'm apprehensive about going back to them - there's a whole section of commands that are completely useless because the EVA exists, and no attack commands.

If it did have attack commands I'd gladly do it though and include both "don't buy demolition trucks" and "intelligence dubious".

The "Enemy forces to the north/south/east/west" don't seem all that useful, so maybe replace those?

I agree with this. I always confuse what it means. Is it north = forwards or north as the direction?

I agree with this. I always confuse what it means. Is it north = forwards or north as the direction?

I'm sure it means the compass direction. The thing is, "enemy forces" tells you nothing about the composition of those forces. And also, I never memorize the compass directions on any given map...I think it's just much easier to say "bar side" or "ref side" or "left/right" with the assumption that "front" is pointing towards enemy base.

You guys do all realize there's a compass on your radar that tells you what direction you are looking, right? And even if the command was there, spamming, "Defend the War Factory!" doesn't have nearly the same effect as saying, "tanya wf" in team chat.

This is great... cant wait to see it, and especially what the tech building/ objective on the ice for infantry will be...

What exactly goes in the middle is still being finalized. The end product will be primarily what time allows me to add.

The main focus is on the core gameplay right now, which has a lot of work to be done. Expect changes to the icebergs as well, as currently the map is very submarine biased.

Yeah I know there's the compass, but it takes a second or two to look at it and figure out my orientation...I guess I don't see why you'd want to use compass directions at all when you can get the information out in a more obvious and straightforward way.

Yeah I know there's the compass, but it takes a second or two to look at it and figure out my orientation...I guess I don't see why you'd want to use compass directions at all when you can get the information out in a more obvious and straightforward way.

Yeah, the compass/radar is actually relatively crappy for any type of directional navigation. This could be mitigated if it spun, but as it stands the "enemy forces to the X" are pretty pointless.

10000 points might be a bit much? :v Is that given to each team member as well? Bear in mind the standard building destruction bonus is 250*players, auxiliary buildings are 125*players, and Seamist's dome objective is 500*players.

Also oh you silly teams storing nuclear warheads underground throughout your base instead of using them to make nuke destroyers and nuke subs.

10000 points might be a bit much? :v Is that given to each team member as well? Bear in mind the standard building destruction bonus is 250*players, auxiliary buildings are 125*players, and Seamist's dome objective is 500*players.

Also oh you silly teams storing nuclear warheads underground throughout your base instead of using them to make nuke destroyers and nuke subs.

Well, since the self destruction of the other buildings does not generate points, I had to make sure the victor was obvious from just one building destruction, otherwise we'd run into the situation where one team wins but still has lower score.

The 10k points *should* be split among all winning team players, but I've not actually tested that yet.

As for the nukes explosions... Well, the basement layer would be able to explain it. The alternative would be external destruction via cinematic effects, unfortunately this is not within my field of expertise.

Super units unfortunately just will not work, not unless I can implement several conditions that are required to unlock their purchase - or overal availability. My development time is put to better use elsewhere however.

I'm aware super units are a bad idea. It was a joke.

Something between 1000-2000 points should be sufficient for this honestly. Else people that care too much about the stats system will just demand to skip maps so they can get to the one that provides a massively disproportionate base destruction reward compared to other maps.

I'm aware super units are a bad idea. It was a joke.

Something between 1000-2000 points should be sufficient for this honestly. Else people that care too much about the stats system will just demand to skip maps so they can get to the one that provides a massively disproportionate base destruction reward compared to other maps.

I'm aware it was a joke, I sometimes get into the habit of giving a serious response to everything. :v

The stats concern is valid, it is why in the current test version, the explosion effects are not guaranteed kills for infantry, and more for effect. They don't even damage naval units.

Speaking of test versions, I'm awaiting feedback on matters exactly such as this.

Edited by Raap

Just an early notice; A public test for Hostile Waters will be scheduled in the near future. My hope with this is, to get feedback from a larger population match, and then make changes for the final version based on the results of that. Balance is the primary focus of the test, nothing else is likely to change unless it could affect the balance.

We had a small 4 vs 4 test this Saturday, and outside of some issues, the map played quite well with those numbers. Unfortunately the testing team currently cannot handle a larger scale test, so that's why a public test is required.

The test will be done in a feature-complete version of the map.

Edited by Raap