Screenshots!

Purchase a Destroyer, be sure to observe the spawn location - instant pop with no spawn effect.

Not sure about regular War Factory vehicles, and aircraft don't need it due to their cinematic entry.

I really think we could do with a properly well done spawn and de-spawn graphic and sound effect. Nothing extreme or vehicle-specific, but something universally usable, or at least easy to re-create. You're probably going to have to look at the spawn effect logic and see what effects can be tied to it (most likely this will require code support).

Edited by Raap

I really think we could do with a properly well done spawn and de-spawn graphic and sound effect. Nothing extreme or vehicle-specific, but something universally usable, or at least easy to re-create. You're probably going to have to look at the spawn effect logic and see what effects can be tied to it (most likely this will require code support).

I realize that I'm out of my territory of knowledge here, but it seems to me that a cinematic could be used like that no? Like the helicopters do, but different? Just thinking out loud. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I realize that I'm out of my territory of knowledge here, but it seems to me that a cinematic could be used like that no? Like the helicopters do, but different? Just thinking out loud. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The helicopter fly-in animation is rather simple. Adding cinematic effects for say, a ship being created or a tank, that would involve a lot of work, and I don't think the War Factory logic allows for unique spawn effects - at the moment. Also keep in mind that you don't want to delay the pace of the game by forcing players to watch these effects every time they purchase something.

So I think keeping it simple is key here, a clean, universally usable phase in and phase out effect for spawning and de-spawning (via script).

Anyhow, just my 2c. I'm not the one who has to look into the programming feasibility of this.  :v

Lol, I see what you mean but anyway, it still looks nice, I think the players would pay more attention to the bigger picture than stare in confusion at the oddly illuminated repair pad  :D

You'd be surprised at which little things can put players off. Now of course I'm not under any delusion that W3D players come here for current-era graphics, but there is dated graphics, and then there is graphical errors. If the intend is to pull in more players, then you want to make sure you at least try to solve bugs, or hide them. In this particular case, in the event the lighting cannot be resolved for that object type, the remaining option is to move the source of light and object further apart, which will reduce the light intensity on the SD.

Edited by Raap

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

To make it harder to see when your rush gets stopped? :v

Hah, no not at all. It's just that the sandstorm only affecting the lower area of that level makes it look pretty cool, and I wish we had more advanced fog features to help improve levels. We use fog a lot in W3D, it's present in every single level, largely due to being required in order to hide the draw distance "clip plane", but also for gameplay purposes. It'd be one of those improvements with wide-scale benefit.

Edit: Go google "volumetric fog" for some examples.

Edited by Raap

Yeah, I know what you were getting at. I just wanted to snark in case anyone though that mammoth rush got your team anywhere ;)

Honestly, after looking through that archive posted a few days ago, and the fact that I haven't played much of the Gamma era, I'm impressed at how far we've come. Conceptually, I'm no slouch when it comes to game design, even if my coding skills are a bit lackluster, and it boggles my mind how an engine that old and that wonky can be upgraded so much.

2 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

Conceptually, I'm no slouch when it comes to game design, even if my coding skills are a bit lackluster, and it boggles my mind how an engine that old and that wonky can be upgraded so much.

The exact how's and why's are best left answered by someone like @jonwil since people like him have handled the engine since the beginning.

Edited by Raap

One of my own from today.  I really liked the formation driving CK and I had on our way to finish off the Soviet Base.  Though kind of a lame game for some late joiners, it was actually kinda back and forth.  Sorry I had to cut out of the next map early, as my internet went to hell and back shortly thereafter, as it tends to do.

Screenshot.4.thumb.png.26a4070da5728c42bebf2988bc4ce8a4.png