Screenshots!

As an engineer I ran up to clear some mines on Complex. I was elated when I got lucky in destroying two phase tanks with one of their own AT mines...

minesplosion.jpg

It's sometimes fun to just go out and repair your own arties in the field. What's not so expected though is when they defeat you and the arty with an organized Ore Truck Sandwich.

treehugsquish.jpg

All these Ore Truck tactics made me wonder, what if Ore Trucks get a new combat support role: Heavy duty base perimeter breaching units? By giving them strong resistances to base defenses, you could actually do an Ore Truck rush to breach the enemy teams base defense perimeter (within reason).

Edited by Raap

15 minutes ago, Raap said:

All these Ore Truck tactics made me wonder, what if Ore Trucks get a new combat support role: Heavy duty base perimeter breaching units? By giving them strong resistances to base defenses, you could actually do an Ore Truck rush to breach the enemy teams base defense perimeter (within reason).

Well when we do it they usually are fodder shields to block fire for the weaker vehicles that want to get in range. Infnatry that bails out of destroyed vehicles seek refuge in the passing trucks until they reach a building entrance, they offload the infantry inside and block the entrances to help. Another good tactic is hampering the enemy vehicle bay so that they can't field thier tanks properly, they just bump into the OTs and get delayed that way. Plus they can't buy more than one vehicle otherwise the blocked one gets destroyed. So even as is, the Ore Trucks are definitely a tool to be used, a funny one, but a lot of times their main goal is to just delay the enemy so that reinforcements can come in for a second attack.

48 minutes ago, Raap said:

See my previous comments about new warheads. Turrets share a warhead with the medium, mammoth, phase, RPG and LAW, and Tesla Coils share theirs with the Tesla Tank. None of these units need a nerf against ore trucks I'm pretty sure so that means making new warheads to nerf the defenses without nerfing the units - and I have little room for new warheads.

Ore Trucks do laugh at pillboxes and flame towers, but that's because mammoth armour just laughs off small arms and flamethrowers in general.

6 hours ago, Pushwall said:

See my previous comments about new warheads. Turrets share a warhead with the medium, mammoth, phase, RPG and LAW, and Tesla Coils share theirs with the Tesla Tank. None of these units need a nerf against ore trucks I'm pretty sure so that means making new warheads to nerf the defenses without nerfing the units - and I have little room for new warheads.

Ore Trucks do laugh at pillboxes and flame towers, but that's because mammoth armour just laughs off small arms and flamethrowers in general.

Yeah I know, it was just a randomcrazythought. 

On 5/14/2017 at 4:02 AM, Raap said:

Yeah I know, it was just a randomcrazythought. 

A similar thought though: I could do something like this with APCs? If I gave them "mammoth armour" to compensate for the reduced health they'll be getting, they could just charge right through flame towers as long as their armour stays up, while still getting wrecked hard by any real anti-tank weapon. This would still leave them at the mercy of coils though. Flame weapons are the thing that's impacted the most by mammoth armour - small arms come second but with the health drop and the ease of hitting an APC with them, the armour boost won't make that much difference here. I can always increase Hind damage vs mammoth armour so APCs don't become even more of a hard counter to them (it's not like Hinds have any reason to waste ammo on ore trucks, mammoths or MADs anyway so it doesn't affect that).

Then it'll still do poorly. By my count it'll take 17+ magazines to take out a mammoth with the damage multiplier I'm currently using (16 on paper, but regen is a thing) compared to the old 28+ (26 on paper). Mammoth tusks will easily kill the hinds first.

13 hours ago, Pushwall said:

A similar thought though: I could do something like this with APCs? If I gave them "mammoth armour" to compensate for the reduced health they'll be getting, they could just charge right through flame towers as long as their armour stays up, while still getting wrecked hard by any real anti-tank weapon. This would still leave them at the mercy of coils though. Flame weapons are the thing that's impacted the most by mammoth armour - small arms come second but with the health drop and the ease of hitting an APC with them, the armour boost won't make that much difference here. I can always increase Hind damage vs mammoth armour so APCs don't become even more of a hard counter to them (it's not like Hinds have any reason to waste ammo on ore trucks, mammoths or MADs anyway so it doesn't affect that).

Wouldn't this make the APC the best allied killwhore unit once the Soviets lose their ability to buy (expensive) units and are basically stuck with only bullets. (I know, end game and all that, but still.)

18 minutes ago, Nodlied said:

Wouldn't this make the APC the best allied killwhore unit once the Soviets lose their ability to buy (expensive) units and are basically stuck with only bullets. (I know, end game and all that, but still.)

They already are. :v

300 Mammoth health/armour barely resists more bullets than 400 Heavy health/armour and I can always compensate for this by making Mechanics repair mammoth vehicles 33% slower (how many other mammoth vehicles are getting meched?) Regen isn't a property of mammoth armour (just the vehicles themselves) so the APC won't have that.

On 5/13/2017 at 11:49 PM, NodGuy said:

Damn it, @Silverlight! DAMN IT!

Curse you, and your bunny hopping AOE disarm!!!!

I killed the coil with the stolen HT so not all was wasted :p