RA1/APB units VS TD/TSR units in W3D

ganein14

The closest comparison in our timeline would probably be the weapon systems of the Korean War vs. those of the Gulf War or perhaps the Iraq War. The technological advances during 45-ish years between RA and TD would be immense. Let's do some comparisons:

Try Mid-Cold war tech vs Gulfwar tech and you'll be a lot closer. Perhaps even late-cold war tech if the RA cutscenes are any indication.

The closest comparison in our timeline would probably be the weapon systems of the Korean War vs. those of the Gulf War or perhaps the Iraq War. The technological advances during 45-ish years between RA and TD would be immense. Let's do some comparisons:

Try Mid-Cold war tech vs Gulfwar tech and you'll be a lot closer. Perhaps even late-cold war tech if the RA cutscenes are any indication.

Considering that most things in RA were developed under completely different circumstances than they were in our timeline (and as such, would probably have many differences which might not be readily visible), there's really no clear answer to this question (Of course, the same could be said for TD tech, which would be greatly influenced by the aftermath of GWWII and could very well have followed a completely different path than the real-world counterparts). RA tech in general seems to be all over the place, with WWII-era piston-engine planes fighting on (or rather, above :v) the same battlefields as third-generation jet aircraft (although these only appeared later in the war), never mind all the wacky prototypical technologies seen in-game. Then again, this could be seen as merely a more extreme version of what happened with real WWII tech, which was also all over the place and saw many rapid, revolutionary and often unprecedented changes in technology and tactics, such as the transition from WW1-era bolt-action rifles to the first assault rifles, or piston-engine biplanes to monoplanes and the first helicopters, and finally jets, or tanks going from relatively small machines with little more than machine guns and small-caliber cannons to 60-ton monsters with thick armour and large-caliber cannons, all in a relatively short period of time.

In any case, nothing changes the fact that RA1 and TD are 40+ years apart, and that, like our own timeline, there would be an incredible amount of scientific and technological advancement over that period of time, a lot of which would hardly even be conceivable to people back in RA's time.

Edited by Ice

Considering that most things in RA were developed under completely different circumstances than they were in our timeline (and as such, would probably have many differences which might not be readily visible), there's really no clear answer to this question.

While there is, ineed, no real clear answer to this question, I believe that the technology shown in the cutscenes and the game itself indicates that the world in RA was quite more advanced compared to our own at the time. Things that can be seen are: the usage of sattelites, ICM missiles, advanced ballistic targeting equipment (shown in many cruiser cutscenes), heat seeking missiles (migs, sams, rocket soldiers), colour television, graphical animations used in control rooms, and much more. This is, of

(Of course, the same could be said for TD tech, which would be greatly influenced by the aftermath of GWWII and could very well have followed a completely different path than the real-world counterparts).

If you meant to say that the Great World War II is Red Alert, then ehm.. Yeah. Let me put it this way, I myself prefer the RA > TD connection in terms of overal timeline. However, the official lore dictates that Red Alert and TD aren't connected. It was intended at first, then retconned, re-introduced again with lore for the canceled Renegade 2 and Tiberian Incursion and then, yet again, retconned from existence. This way, I think that we could say that TD tech followed our own timeline much, much, closer than the RA one did.

RA tech in general seems to be all over the place, with WWII-era piston-engine planes fighting on (or rather, above :v) the same battlefields as third-generation jet aircraft (although these only appeared later in the war), never mind all the wacky prototypical technologies seen in-game.

The yak is actually a pretty interesting unit. :v Considering that the yak seems to appear at even the most unimportant of events and that every, and I mean every, commander seems to have access to the thing, I think that we may just as well take it that the unit is considered expendable and as common as a normal army truck. They litterally appear in the first mission and will be with you for the rest of the war. It's also fun to note that, due to them being available earlier than hinds, hinds may actually be considered more valuable than the old piston plane. Migs, especially with the badgers and high-speed spy planes, may actually be as advanced as they are made out to be in the cutscene. In the end, the yak might just be that plane that has been manufactured in the tens of thousands and, even on the modern battlefield, may still be able to fullfill a ground strafing role well enough for the Russians to keep them in service to give their troops some additional support.

Then again, this could be seen as merely a more extreme version of what happened with real WWII tech, which was also all over the place and saw many rapid, revolutionary and often unprecedented changes in technology and tactics, such as the transition from WW1-era bolt-action rifles to the first assault rifles, or piston-engine biplanes to monoplanes and the first helicopters, and finally jets, or tanks going from relatively small machines with little more than machine guns and small-caliber cannons to 60-ton monsters with thick armour and large-caliber cannons, all in a relatively short period of time.

I don't think that the RA war and its development of tech can really be compared to that of World War 2. World War 2 was basically a race in firepower and interception, with that came the additional development of protection, and of course, the development of total war logistics. It was a war like World War I where the old ideas and strategies made way for new, modern, warfare.

Red Alert's Great World War II already has most of its advanced tech right from the start, heat seeking missiles, jet planes, advanced ballistic targeting devices, potentially sattelites, etc. The tech instead develops in a more traditional manner, tougher tanks are introduced to counter earlier ones, yet not as in WW2 where old roles were abbolished, new, more effective ones, arrose and specific design features were taken and build uppon. Other than the more wacky tech, the development of arms and support is much, much, slower in RA than it was in WW2. There were some pretty interesting things like the wacky tech, but they didn't have as much of a battlefield impact as the special tech of WWII did. (Perhaps with the exception of chronotech and, in terms of development, the atomic bomb.)

In any case, nothing changes the fact that RA1 and TD are 40+ years apart, and that, like our own timeline, there would be an incredible amount of scientific and technological advancement over that period of time, a lot of which would hardly even be conceivable to people back in RA's time.

While TD and RA are indeed 40+ year apart, and the conventional RA tech is without a doubt not as advanced as that that is seen in TD, the actual technological gap might actually be a lot smaller than what is seen on first sight. Especially with the official lore keeping RA and TD seperate.

Considering that most things in RA were developed under completely different circumstances than they were in our timeline (and as such, would probably have many differences which might not be readily visible), there's really no clear answer to this question.

While there is, ineed, no real clear answer to this question, I believe that the technology shown in the cutscenes and the game itself indicates that the world in RA was quite more advanced compared to our own at the time. Things that can be seen are: the usage of sattelites, ICM missiles, advanced ballistic targeting equipment (shown in many cruiser cutscenes), heat seeking missiles (migs, sams, rocket soldiers), colour television, graphical animations used in control rooms, and much more.

Alongside plenty of old technologies commonly seen in the cutscenes, like piston-engine planes, grainy black-and-white photography, etc.

While there is, ineed, no real clear answer to this question, I believe that the technology shown in the cutscenes and the game itself indicates that the world in RA was quite more advanced compared to our own at the time. Things that can be seen are: the usage of sattelites, ICM missiles, advanced ballistic targeting equipment (shown in many cruiser cutscenes), heat seeking missiles (migs, sams, rocket soldiers), colour television, graphical animations used in control rooms, and much more. This is, of

Alongside plenty of old tech, including grainy black-and-white photography and piston-engine planes.

(Of course, the same could be said for TD tech, which would be greatly influenced by the aftermath of GWWII and could very well have followed a completely different path than the real-world counterparts).

If you meant to say that the Great World War II is Red Alert, then ehm.. Yeah. Let me put it this way, I myself prefer the RA > TD connection in terms of overal timeline. However, the official lore dictates that Red Alert and TD aren't connected. It was intended at first, then retconned, re-introduced again with lore for the canceled Renegade 2 and Tiberian Incursion and then, yet again, retconned from existence. This way, I think that we could say that TD tech followed our own timeline much, much, closer than the RA one did.

Personally I follow the old lore of RA being the prequel to TD, with RA2 being a separate off-shoot resulting from a change in the series of events during or following RA. This being the case, we're naturally going to disagree on a lot of things. :v

Then again, this could be seen as merely a more extreme version of what happened with real WWII tech, which was also all over the place and saw many rapid, revolutionary and often unprecedented changes in technology and tactics, such as the transition from WW1-era bolt-action rifles to the first assault rifles, or piston-engine biplanes to monoplanes and the first helicopters, and finally jets, or tanks going from relatively small machines with little more than machine guns and small-caliber cannons to 60-ton monsters with thick armour and large-caliber cannons, all in a relatively short period of time.

I don't think that the RA war and its development of tech can really be compared to that of World War 2. World War 2 was basically a race in firepower and interception, with that came the additional development of protection, and of course, the development of total war logistics. It was a war like World War I where the old ideas and strategies made way for new, modern, warfare.

Red Alert's Great World War II already has most of its advanced tech right from the start, heat seeking missiles, jet planes, advanced ballistic targeting devices, potentially sattelites, etc.

Even if a lot of advanced technologies appeared early in the conflict, it's logical to assume that these were early versions and/or prototypes, and that these would be further developed over the course of the war. Take heat-seeking missiles for example; In all likelihood, their capabilities were probably very limited at the start due to being an immature technology, but were steadily improved over time and were much more effective by the end of the war, but due to the simplicity of early C&C games (no upgrade system yet), this was too impractical to show in-game unless you want a cluttered sidebar. The same goes for all aspects of technology, like tanks (late-war heavy tanks being better-armed and armoured than their early-war versions, etc.), but again, this would have been impractical to show in-game due to simplistic gameplay.

Also the only jet plane seen at the start is the Tu-16 Badger, which in our timeline first flew in 1952, a difference of only a couple years at most; easily achievable even if RA's tech was only slightly more advanced than ours at the time. MiG's on the other hand weren't seen in the Soviet campaign until later missions, implying that such technology was not available at the start.

Edited by Ice

However, Ice, you also have to think about the logistical side of things. The Allies are a conglomerate which means that while the countries share their tech, each country still has it's own standing army with it's own entirely independent arsenal similar to our NATO. So while the unit you command may only have the RA1 Allied arsenal, you could also have another commander with other unit's at his disposal such as an M551 sheridan or the F86 Sabre. The same could be said for the Soviet Arsenal as well, as we all know that the USSR loved to make a shit-ton of variants for everything that went into production. So while you as a soviet commander may have only Heavy tanks as your main battle force, another commander might have BMP-1's. Hell, in all likelihood you control a soviet VDV unit because you have paratroopers. Not every commander has access to every asset available to a country. Meanwhile, GDI is not a conglomerate, it is structured international military force with donations from a multitude of countries. While it's safe to assume that GDI has a much larger arsenal than you have access to in TD, it's going to have nothing on the diversity of the Allied Arsenal during the GWWII. The same thing goes for Nod. Nod is an Insurgent force that is given funding through tiberium, and disenfranchised 3rd and 2nd world nations. most of their equipment is developed in-house from existing equipment, to suit their own tactics. Their later-war technology is also going to end up being largely unavailable to un-proven commanders due to the extreme cost of the weapons.Thus, while nod's arsenal is probably much larger (probably larger than GDI's total arsenal), it still wouldn't match the sheer diversity of the GWWII soviet arsenal simply because, while Nod is technically an insurgent (or paramilitary towards the end) force, they still have standardized weaponry.

Didn't the real life Warsaw Pact have some pretty standardized equipment? I think for the most part, the East Germans, Czechs, and Poles were all driving and flying the same stuff the Russians were. As for the equipment used by the Allies in Red Alert...well, if there's any variation from country to country, it doesn't show up in the game. Certainly that's not how it was in real-life, but then Westwood probably just wanted to keep it simple.

As for the equipment used by the Allies in Red Alert...well, if there's any variation from country to country, it doesn't show up in the game. Certainly that's not how it was in real-life, but then Westwood probably just wanted to keep it simple.

Exactly. It's obvious that each country would have its own distinctive equipment (For example, France might use AMX-13 light tanks while Britain could use their Cromwell tanks in a similar role), but for all intents and purposes this can't be practically shown in-game, although the country bonuses in Skirmish Mode could very well be a hint at this (Germany having better firepower, Britain having better armour, Russia having lower costs, etc.).

(Also I just noticed that I accidentally replied to the same quote twice in my last post lol. Oh well, guess that's what happens when you're multitasking :v)

Edited by Ice

Alongside plenty of old technologies commonly seen in the cutscenes, like piston-engine planes, grainy black-and-white photography, etc.

Ehm... I fail to see what this argument is trying to prove. Old things are used constantly. If things work, they work. And if the soldiers in the field/whoever, have not been issued anything better, then sure, it will pop up. Why fix it when it's not broken? That can be said for a lot of old things. Especially if they do the job well enough.

Personally I follow the old lore of RA being the prequel to TD, with RA2 being a separate off-shoot resulting from a change in the series of events during or following RA. This being the case, we're naturally going to disagree on a lot of things. :v

As always, we disagree. That will never change. :v However, I think that it's safe to assume that, considering that we're comparing the two games and their factions, we'll be limited to what's actually cannon and found in the game. The RA connection to TD will have to be considered fan-fiction at this point. (However, I do - gasp - agree that the RA > TD connection would make for a better and more interesting story.)

Even if a lot of advanced technologies appeared early in the conflict, it's logical to assume that these were early versions and/or prototypes, and that these would be further developed over the course of the war. Take heat-seeking missiles for example; In all likelihood, their capabilities were probably very limited at the start due to being an immature technology, but were steadily improved over time and were much more effective by the end of the war, but due to the simplicity of early C&C games (no upgrade system yet), this was too impractical to show in-game unless you want a cluttered sidebar. The same goes for all aspects of technology, like tanks (late-war heavy tanks being better-armed and armoured than their early-war versions, etc.), but again, this would have been impractical to show in-game due to simplistic gameplay.

You don't mass-field prototype technology. If it works, you field it en-massed. If not, then you'll limit it to only a few elite regiments. Heat-seeking missiles, for example, function throughout the game. Sometimes, they do fail to function, but I blame that more on human error and battlefield conditions than failure of technology. And yes, it is impractical to show in-game, thus limiting us to what's in the game. :v

Oh, and to prove my point that it's not Korean-era tech, the first guided MANPADs, as seen in the game, didn't come into existance until our late 1960s. (Just one example.)

Also the only jet plane seen at the start is the Tu-16 Badger, which in our timeline first flew in 1952, a difference of only a couple years at most; easily achievable even if RA's tech was only slightly more advanced than ours at the time. MiG's on the other hand weren't seen in the Soviet campaign until later missions, implying that such technology was not available at the start.

While migs are indeed not under your command from the start, the highly advanced spy plane, however, is available pretty early on, specifically Soviet mission 4. (Funnily enough, this is also when gap generators are introduced for the allied enemies.) If such an advanced high-speed spy plane is available for just about anyone, then I'm pretty sure that the normal mig fighter and the badger aren't that high tech either. In effect, it means that this kind of technology was available from the start.

please open spoiler

Ehm... I fail to see what this argument is trying to prove. Old things are used constantly. If things work, they work. And if the soldiers in the field/whoever, have not been issued anything better, then sure, it will pop up. Why fix it when it's not broken? That can be said for a lot of old things. Especially if they do the job well enough. Plus the fact that GDI and Nod are inherently going to have smaller arsenals. GDI is essentially a UN mandated international COIN force that has very little governance of it's own equipment until the first Tiberium War broke out. Nod is an insurgent/terrorist organization that is funded by the black market and the impoverished nations that support it. Meanwhile the Allied and Soviet forces are in the middle of an Arms Race at the outset of the GWWII meaning that the all of the technology we see in RA is mostly new in comparison. GDI didn't develop the new mammoth tank until late in the war, same for the stealth tank and Nod. Meanwhile, advanced technologies such as the Gap Generator and Tesla coil are already being field tested in Red Alert.

As always, we disagree. That will never change. :v However, I think that it's safe to assume that, considering that we're comparing the two games and their factions, we'll be limited to what's actually cannon and found in the game. The RA connection to TD will have to be considered fan-fiction at this point. (However, I do - gasp - agree that the RA > TD connection would make for a better and more interesting story.) Well, according to the multiverse theory, both are true.

You don't mass-field prototype technology. If it works, you field it en-massed. If not, then you'll limit it to only a few elite regiments. Heat-seeking missiles, for example, function throughout the game. Sometimes, they do fail to function, but I blame that more on human error and battlefield conditions than failure of technology. And yes, it is impractical to show in-game, thus limiting us to what's in the game. :v

Oh, and to prove my point that it's not Korean-era tech, the first guided MANPADs, as seen in the game, didn't come into existance until our late 1960s. (Just one example.) And the CH47, AH64, M72 Law, etc.

While migs are indeed not under your command from the start, the highly advanced spy plane, however, is available pretty early on, specifically Soviet mission 4. (Funnily enough, this is also when gap generators are introduced for the allied enemies.) If such an advanced high-speed spy plane is available for just about anyone, then I'm pretty sure that the normal mig fighter and the badger aren't that high tech either. In effect, it means that this kind of technology was available from the start. Like I've stated before, it's based on what's under your command at the time. You may start out as only an infantry company commander, who ends up becoming the commander of an entire Corps.

tl;dr, I agree with nodlied. He made good posts.

Edited by devilslayersbane

please open spoiler

Ehm... I fail to see what this argument is trying to prove. Old things are used constantly. If things work, they work. And if the soldiers in the field/whoever, have not been issued anything better, then sure, it will pop up. Why fix it when it's not broken? That can be said for a lot of old things. Especially if they do the job well enough. Plus the fact that GDI and Nod are inherently going to have smaller arsenals. GDI is essentially a UN mandated international COIN force that has very little governance of it's own equipment until the first Tiberium War broke out. Nod is an insurgent/terrorist organization that is funded by the black market and the impoverished nations that support it. Meanwhile the Allied and Soviet forces are in the middle of an Arms Race at the outset of the GWWII meaning that the all of the technology we see in RA is mostly new in comparison. GDI didn't develop the new mammoth tank until late in the war, same for the stealth tank and Nod. Meanwhile, advanced technologies such as the Gap Generator and Tesla coil are already being field tested in Red Alert.

As always, we disagree. That will never change. :v However, I think that it's safe to assume that, considering that we're comparing the two games and their factions, we'll be limited to what's actually cannon and found in the game. The RA connection to TD will have to be considered fan-fiction at this point. (However, I do - gasp - agree that the RA > TD connection would make for a better and more interesting story.) Well, according to the multiverse theory, both are true.

Oh, and to prove my point that it's not Korean-era tech, the first guided MANPADs, as seen in the game, didn't come into existance until our late 1960s. (Just one example.) And the CH47, AH64, M72 Law, etc.

While migs are indeed not under your command from the start, the highly advanced spy plane, however, is available pretty early on, specifically Soviet mission 4. (Funnily enough, this is also when gap generators are introduced for the allied enemies.) If such an advanced high-speed spy plane is available for just about anyone, then I'm pretty sure that the normal mig fighter and the badger aren't that high tech either. In effect, it means that this kind of technology was available from the start. Like I've stated before, it's based on what's under your command at the time. You may start out as only an infantry company commander, who ends up becoming the commander of an entire Corps.

tl;dr, I agree with nodlied. He made good posts.

that green is eyeblinding and gave me a headache trying to read it

• 1 month later...

It doesnt matter how far apart red alert is to tiberium series, taking C&C logic even the basic infrantry assault rifles will damage a tank, you just need enough bullets.

So its more of pitting numbers to numbers, tech doesnt really apply here (i mean in RA1 which was after WW2 the allies have phase tank and gap generator so tech wise there wouldnt really be a gap)

The way i see tiberium is like, the world has ended and the survivors came together and tried to rebuild better which is basically what GDI units represent, an effort to build things decently whereas NOD usually have weaker units or units from the pre-apocolypse with some tech but focus on making more of an impact.

So if you took the mammoth tank from RA against GDI mammoth tank they would pretty much be even, lots of metal vs a more refined and supposedly more efficient vehicle. They are just too similar too.

Have you ever watched a cutscene? Or read any lore? For starters, RA1 wasn't after WWII, it was WWII. In the opening cutscene for the game, the scientist time travels and removes Hitler, thereby taking WWII as an event out of time. So WWII never happened, and the timeline changed. Korea- and Vietnam-era weaponry came about earlier due to necessity. And the Tiberium universe wasn't post-apocalyptic. GDI is a UN military conglomerate, not a group of survivors. They most likely existed in some form before Tiberium was discovered. As for Nod, they're a terrorist organization. Their tech is based on stealth, hit-and-run tactics, and guerilla warfare. So it's not that their tech is older(though some of it is), it's just that their tactics rely on faster, cheaper weaponry. Am I getting all this right, lore-nuts? :p

Well regardless if its allies, soviets, GDI or NOD, you cant help but notice many units being similar. GDI mammoth tank to soviet mammoth tank for example. In the C&C universe bullets will damage tanks so while irl shooting a machine gun at a tank is pointless in C&C enough infantry can take down the mammoth tank with machine guns. So if we programmatically took the mammoth tank from GDI vs the soviet mammoth tank pretty sure it would end up with both killing each other at the same time or the one that fires first winning.

While some iconic units in the game get implemented many units used quite a lot in ww2 wasnt implemented for example the anti tank and artillery gun but some of the soviet units are well implemented such as the V2 rocket since russia had their own rocket artillery barrage. Some infantry weapons like mortars also werent used (although there were some who used mortars from a truck in ww2)

Well regardless if its allies, soviets, GDI or Nod, you cant help but notice many units being similar. GDI mammoth tank to soviet mammoth tank for example. In the C&C universe bullets will damage tanks so while irl shooting a machine gun at a tank is pointless in C&C enough infantry can take down the mammoth tank with machine guns. So if we programmatically took the mammoth tank from GDI vs the soviet mammoth tank pretty sure it would end up with both killing each other at the same time or the one that fires first winning.

That's true. But the discussion is about how RA1 weaponry would perform versus TD weaponry in a real-world setting, not in-game. And a Soviet Mammoth Tank probably wouldn't last long against a modernized GDI one, since GDI's would have better armor, more powerful shells, and probably move faster too. So the Soviet tank would be destroyed. And what do you mean by WWII units? I already explained that WWII never happened. Did the Allies have M16s, LAW rockets, M113 APCs, M60 machine guns, or M1 Abrams tanks in WWII? No. Did the Red Army have (I'm assuming) T60 tanks, AK47s, or MiG fighter jets? No. So WWII is obsolete.

Did the Red Army have (I'm assuming) T60 tanks, AK47s, or MiG fighter jets? No. So WWII is obsolete.

Actually.... The Red army had loads of T-60s in WWII. :v (You probably mean the T-80. /NitpickBecauseIt'sFun)

Oh, just BTW, the GWWII allied victory screens in the RA2 installation explicitly show German Leopard 2's. That being said, While much of the equipment is indeed from our own vietnam era, a lot of it is also Korean era tech as well, such as the M1carbine (listed in the game files), the M24 chaffee (which also saw service in WWII), and the AK-47.

lol yes, thank you. :D Tanks aren't really my area of expertise.

Then again, there was also a T-80 light tank in WWII, even though it was only produced in small numbers. :v

(But yes, the RA heavy tanks are supposed to be dual barreled T-80 main battle tanks.)

Oh, just BTW, the GWWII allied victory screens in the RA2 installation explicitly show German Leopard 2's. That being said, While much of the equipment is indeed from our own vietnam era, a lot of it is also Korean era tech as well, such as the M1carbine (listed in the game files), the M24 chaffee (which also saw service in WWII), and the AK-47.

IIRC, the Chaffee wasn't actually mentioned in RA.

even though ww2 didnt happen in RA it would still be the cold war than which is before the vietnam war but if that is so than why do the soviets still use propeller planes? by the end of ww2 jet were used everywhere. Although wars advance technology you say in the C&C universe without ww2 the world was forced to advanced much earlier.

in early ww2 the russians had much better tanks than the germans (also actually portrayed in the game) so without a massacre for the russians to walk to they could easily have achieve jets.

So im not sure if in RA the nations advanced faster or if it is set at a much later year or if is set at the year ww2 was supposed to happen.

If the units in the game are supposed to be based of units used in ww2 than many cheap solutions used by the military werent even implemented. The americans loading AA onto their lorries or mortar or those artillery guns that have 2 wheels that infantry have to drag about. Snipers would be a unit commonly used but is missing in RA.

Im not sure whether to go on C&C logic or real life logic when discussing these things. You say in real life GDI would easily beat soviets but in C&C logic they are both equal.

So im not sure if in RA the nations advanced faster or if it is set at a much later year or if is set at the year ww2 was supposed to happen.

See if you can spot anything about this in the video that might shed some light.

Video