[Complete] RA:APB-themed Mafia game II

VERTi60

RA: APB themed Mafia Forum Game Interest Poll  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to play/participate in RA/APB Mafia Game before September? Would you be interested for a TS/voicechat short version too?

• Yes, I can join the forum game anytime and Yes, I would like to join TS/voicechat short version
    • Yes, I can join the forum game anytime but No, I'm not interested to join TS/voicechat short version
    • No, I can't join the forum game anytime but Yes, I would like to join TS/voicechat short version
    • Not interested
    • I would be interested, but for different game theme (post suggestion, but I might not have time to develop new theme before summer ends)
    • I would be interested, but for different time/place/rules (post suggestion for change)
    • hydra null vote (post suggestion/comment)
  2. 2. Proposal: Mandatory Voting - would you like to have mandatory voting system in next game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hydra - post suggestion
  3. 3. Are you able to participate in next game that could be launched next weeks in September?

• Yes
    • No

BH0Yhxn.jpg?1

Hey there forum lurkers. it has been some time since we had a Forum game here.

If you do not remember or are unfamiliar, we played APB themed mafia game, where soviets in their base try to capture allied spies before the allies can eliminate and outrun the soviets (mafia scum vs town in general mafia terms). Basically I PM players what they are and what their role is, and when the game begins, players try to figure out who is who (or what), based on other players' actions during day (battle phase) and night (plan phase) and act accordingly (vote for players to lynch or try to attack them directly by themselves or use their special role actions).

This type of Mafia game was easy to run, usually it lasted a week or even few days in case of forum game version, and it could be also run as chat game too (instead of forum game, where the game lasted around 30 mins up to an hour). Unlike some movie/game themed mafia games I did run, I usually didn't have much trouble with them and since there were no additional lore, video or gfx work, I could to run them almost anytime. With my busy schedule and a lot of other gaming it also fits my taste as well.

Let me know if you would like to participate - based on the poll result I'll schedule a game before the end of summer. Usually it doesn't require too much time to participate, but you would need to be active on the forum at least twice a day when the game is run so you won't miss doing your actions (forum game phases last 24 hours up to 48 hours where you need to decide your actions). For each game, I'll need at least 7 players to make the game last for at least two-three days, but the more players the better (up to 10-12 is ideal for each game, for voice-chat version it's 5-10).

:soviet: Game UPDATE:

For now I propose The second forum game version could start next Friday 26th of Aug at 10 PM UTC/GMT (subject to change based on feedback). VoiceChat version (on TS) will be scheduled if there is enough interest (they are quick & fun, the last streak was three games per event!)

Each Game phase (Day/BP & Night/PP) will last 24 hours max, meaning that if you want to participate, you should check and check each day at least once or twice to complete your actions. Though the more you participate the better, as the game becomes more active and fun.

All roles and sides will be randomized before game starts, if you want to have a specific role, PM me in advance. there's a guide how to create a role below.

Signed Players:

(minimum 7 players, max 20)

Game Progress:

DAY 1

NIGHT 1

DAY 2

NIGHT 2

DAY 3

NIGHT 3

DAY 4

Game End, Players, Docs & Roles Info

Chat (TeamSpeak) Game Progress:

Chat version (on TS) not scheduled yet

If you're new to mafia forum gaming, or you want to know details how this is played, check the info below.

:soviet:How to Play APB Mafia Chat Game

The concept is pretty simple, similar to classic mafia, with few additions. All general mafia standard rules will apply, but the phases will be literary only few minutes short with few little extra rules (bolded). All together one game shouldn't last more than one hour, but it can last only 20-30 minutes as well!

The game is about classic RA:APB Base infiltrated by spies.

There are Allied Spies (mafia) and Soviet Soldiers (town). The Soviets greatly outnumber the Allies (>=25%). However, none of the Soviets know who the Allies are at first, while Allies start with their own google doc where they can discuss the game anytime they want.

The game is broken up into two phases: Battle Phase (classic Day phase) and a Plan Phase (classic Night phase).

The phase duration last as 10 min Battle phases, 5 min lynch results/Plan phase + 5 min resolving the night/PP actions (so basically every ten minutes we will have a new phase unless unexpected delays which shouldn't last more than 5 mins).

During the Battle Phase (10 min duration), everyone talks and tries to build cases against each other directly in the forum chat. While the Soviets are arguing to try and find the Allies, the Allies are trying to throw everyone off their trail.

The goal of the Battle Phase is to find somebody for a Lynch.

People will vote for one person they want to be lynched and the person with the most votes will die at the end of the day. Your vote should be in this format:

##Vote PlayerName

If you decide to change your vote, you must first ##unvote (player name not required but is helpful) or you can simply vote another player if you already know who.

If a majority vote of over 50% is cast on one person, then they will be lynched right then and there, no need to wait for the end of the phase. When someone is lynched, everyone will find out their role and who they were aligned with. During the Battle Phase, players are also allowed to use their battle actions, such as ##shoot, etc. which will be resolved instantly. If the target players dies, he will be eliminated from the game and the game will continue (his vote will no longer be counted).

All BP/day actions need to be acknowledged by the mod before they are counted (just simple line to acknowledge so you know it came through, Current Vote Counts (or CVC) will appear periodically to inform you about the time remaining as well as the current vote status). Remember, without the mod acknowledge line, your vote or action doesn't count, so please don't do actions before the previous one was resolved. If it was missed, please use ##TIMEOUT command to stop the game, but only if it's really required (otherwise just repeat your action). All players are required to participate in chat, if one player stays quiet whole phase he/she might get role blocked for the next plan phase.

During the Plan Phase (5 min duration), Allies will have to decide to kill a Soviet player. They must also decide who will make the kill. However, certain people in both the Allies and Soviets have special roles they can use during the night to kill, protect, disrupt, or gather information. Some roles carry a certain risk while others give a little more freedom. When the new Battle Phase begins, everyone will see who has died during the night and find out what side they were on and what role they had.

Plan/Night actions are done classic way by the Private Message (PM Forum Messenger, outside the chat), same as resolved action replies. If you have a night action and do not inform me by PM at least 5 mins before the next Battle phase begins what you are doing with it, you do nothing that night. Talking in the chat during the plan phase will be restricted. This is because I won't have time to mod it since I'll be focusing on resolving the received actions (+5 extra mins for resolving). You can only chat in general, but no game-based stuff (accusations, plans, role claims, etc.). Players who won't comply might get role-blocked that phase.

The Soviets win when they have eliminated the Allied threat (all allied players must die).

The Allies win when they have managed to dispose of enough Soviets to outnumber them (or equal before plan phase).

If there are any Neutrals in game, they will win if they survive until the game ends with any of the fractions winning.

There are also extra guidelines which are posted in the general thread, but let's recap the main ones for those who are new:

• Try to stick to the timetable
  • Await your Role PM soon before the game starts, if you have any questions, let me know before we start, since after that I won't have time to check PMs
  • The Chat system always displays time intervals for each 5 mins. That's a good way to see whether there is a hammer (end of Battle Phase after 10 mins from start) or new phase starts, since our phases will change in 5-10 min intervals as well...
  • If I'm not present in the chat (crash/outage) when the battle phase starts or is on the way, please wait for me and we'll start over in next five mins (basically game is on hold when I'm not there)
  • If resolving will take longer than expected (PM spam, etc), then I'll notify you and we'll start the next BP in the next 5 min interval
  • Please be civil! No spamming or swearing. It's just a game. Let's have fun!
  • If you are not in the game, please DO NOT post game related stuff in chat!
  • DO NOT discuss the game outside of the thread unless you are specifically given permission by me.
  • DO NOT quote private mod communications.
  • DO NOT attempt to break the game. No trying to get people to make toxx clauses, encryption, or fake day actions. Basically, if you're about to post something you're a little too proud of as a way of breaking the game, think twice before posting.
  • Good luck!

:soviet: Player Roles, Flavor & Factions

Now as far as flavor and roles go, there's gonna be a little twist, but I'll try to start with really easy and simple settings. The flavor will be the classic Soviet base infiltrated by the allies (we can try different flavors once the pilot is success, or continue with the APB if people wish for it).

Now here's the twist. For every game, few roles that might turn up in game will be revealed before the game starts, so you know what you're up against (something like in epicmafia), but there will also be few mystery roles and also, I'll let players themselves to design their roles using some available abilities and combinations, which will make it a bit more interesting. So you can end up picking a role that is already listed, or you can go for the mystery role, or, you can design or your own role. Infantry, vehicles, or even buildings, you name it.

This epic concept can make every game different.

There will be no crazy roles since I'm going to develop an easy inst-resolving mechanic so therefore the role abilities during night will have certain rules in order to work (what action does what, what is the order for resolving, priorities, action resolving messages, etc).

For people who don't like vanilla (=ordinary) roles, you're lucky since I'm gonna put every role some available actions at least. To stay true to the RA: APB flavor, even basic rifle soldiers will be able to shoot others, though ofc there will be a chance of missing or getting your weapon stuck. The only role which doesn't have any special abilities currently is the Neutral Civilian. Other advanced roles will be mostly useful during the night phases where classic investigations, tracking/spying, body-guarding and standard mafia killing take place.

We'll see if there will be a need for google docs as well but I can assure you mafia will be able to communicate in doc, at least.

:soviet: Game Specifics:

Here is the first role sheet that was used last game, I will upload some more units before next game:

Pyg0NPk.png

As you can see, this game now offers new concept of vehicles and vehicle infantry fighters - the Soviet RPG soldier and Allied Rocket Soldier.

These are the only infantry that can successfully destroy the vehicles during the Battle Phase, or damage them during the Plan Phase.

All vehicles in the game have special Vehicle Armor - which protects them during the Battle Phase against infantry, except RPG or Rocket Soldiers.

Vehicles can also destroy themselves during the Battle Phase, they can be lynched just like any unit and finally they can be killed during a Plan Phase.

Of course, vehicles can also become full Bullet proof if there's such a role that can change them.

You can pick one of the classic roles that are listed above, but you can also pick the mystery role not listed in this sheet (previous mystery roles won't be available, at least for some time). Only one mystery role is allowed per each game. This role won't be revealed until the actual game ends, and it can have any alignment. There might not be a mystery role in game however, depending on other roles.

You can also create/design your own, custom role.

Here are the guidelines:

• As you can see every role has one Battle Phase (BP - Day) Action and one Plan Phase (PP - Night) Action. Your designed role can't have more actions either. Scum players have the Standard Mafia Kill as extra PP action in addition to their own actions but they cannot combine it during one PP.
  • Your designed role needs to be RA or APB flavor with appropriate actions to the flavor (vehicles, animals and structures are allowed).
  • Vehicles are Bullet Proof during during the day except if other vehicle or Anti vehicle infantry shoot them.
  • Buildings are immune to lynching.
  • As you can notice, all BP actions have a "weapon stuck" chance and "kill success" rate (which are two dice rolls needed to execute that action), and PP actions have frequency and usage limits. Here's a formula which limits the unit's actions to have them balanced vs each other:
  • KILL PERCENTAGE = Kill Success Chance - Weapon Stuck Chance (from -100 to 100 by 25% intervals only)
  • -100% < KILL PERCENTAGE < -50% -> Unit is able to perform one unstoppable kill during Plan Phase or very Special rare Action.
  • -50% < KILL PERCENTAGE < 0% -> Unit is able to become BP for a limited duration or perform multiple protect/support actions on others without frequency limits
  • KILL PERCENTAGE = 25% -> Unit is able to perform a scouting/investigating ability without frequency limits
  • KILL PERCENTAGE = 50% -> Unit is able to perform a scouting ability but with limited frequency
  • KILL PERCENTAGE = 75% -> Unit is able to do only one limited PP action which doesn't involve kill, support, protect, scout or investigate actions
  • KILL PERCENTAGE = 100% -> Unit doesn't have a PP action.
Here's an example. Let's say you want to protect one player each night (protective action). According to the formula your kill percentage shouldn't be bigger than 0%, which means your stuck weapon chance and success chance should be same. Let's say 50-50. Now for the flavor.You could be a heavy tank, serving as Armored shelter. Now if you want to have one BP ability, your frequency will drop so you can only protect every second phase.

I'm fully interested in the forum version, don't have enough time for the TS/Chat version. (Because I don't have all the time, so scheduling such a game to keep my free time in mind would only hamper the game itself.)

Also, Voe says his body is ready for another forum game.

question, Will Frank Klepacki be the one getting murdered by spies in this game?

Sounds like a pretty interesting... uh... game. I'll check back in when I know more about the happenings, as the game sounds confusing as Risk right now.

Edited by MPRA2

question, Will Frank Klepacki be the one getting murdered by spies in this game?

Sounds like a pretty interesting... uh... game. I'll check back in when I know more about the happenings, as the game sounds confusing as Risk right now.

If Frank joins the game as soviet, maybe :p

If you're confused you can check how the last game went, it was pretty fun: https://secure.w3dhub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=415598

The game plan is simple: you sign up, once we get enough players we'll schedule the start (preferably next Friday). You will get instructions about your role (such as what you can do, how and when as well as simple objective) via PM and everything else will be updated in this thread. There are only few rules listed in the OP thread, feel free to ask if you don't understand something.

I'd be in. Hopefully I won't get shafted onto the allies like my first game >.>

It was all my teammates faults and not mine that everyone died...

and Voe's fault.

It's always voe's fault :p

All who would like to have a custom role or one of the default ones, let me know in a PM.

Also please players who haven't played a game before - send me your gmail account info in case you'll require an access to a google doc.

:soviet:DAY 1 - Game start

apb-delta6.jpg

What a glorious morning, comrades! New supplies and provisions have arrived last night, so more vodka today, da?

But what's this? After a quick search of the base, one of your comrades is found dead in a supply closet with a large amount of capitalist propaganda.

Our base has been infiltrated by those Allied dogs! General Kukov orders you to find them and execute them!

The Soviets win when they have eliminated the Allied threat (all allied players must die).
The Allies win when they have managed to dispose of enough Soviets to outnumber them (or equal before plan phase).
If there are any Neutrals in game, they will win if they survive until the game ends with any of the fractions winning.

If there are any Third Party in game, they will win if they met their special objective.

:soviet:Day Guidelines

During the DAY - Battle Phase (24 hour duration), everyone talks and tries to build cases against each other directly in the forum chat. While the Soviets are arguing to try and find the Allies, the Allies are trying to throw everyone off their trail.
The goal of the Battle Phase is to find somebody for a Lynch.

People will vote for one person they want to be lynched and the person with the most votes will die at the end of the day. Your vote should be in this format:
##Vote PlayerName
If you decide to change your vote, you must first ##unvote (player name not required but is helpful) or you can simply vote another player if you already know who.

If a majority vote of over 50% is cast on one person, then they will be lynched right then and there, no need to wait for the end of the phase. When someone is lynched, everyone will find out their role and who they were aligned with. During the Battle Phase, players are also allowed to use their battle actions, such as ##shoot, etc. which will be resolved instantly. If the target players dies, he will be eliminated from the game and the game will continue (his vote will no longer be counted).

All BP/day actions need to be acknowledged by the mod before they are counted (just simple line to acknowledge so you know it came through, Current Vote Counts (or CVC) will appear periodically to inform you about the time remaining as well as the current vote status). Remember, without the mod acknowledge line, your vote or action doesn't count, so please don't do actions before the previous one was resolved. If it was missed, please use ##TIMEOUT command to stop the game, but only if it's really required (otherwise just repeat your action). All players are required to participate in chat, if one player stays quiet whole phase he/she might get role blocked for the next plan phase.

Additional Rules:

• No quoting mod communication or other out of thread communication.
  • No out of thread communication unless specifically allowed by the mod.
  • No content-posts after death unless allowed by the mod. Whitenoise that doesn't affect the game is fine. Use your best judgement, but remember that anything you say can be taken by the players to mean something it doesn't. If in doubt, say nothing. The same goes if you aren't playing, and double if you aren't playing and have been spoilered.
  • Don't try to break the game. No sillyness like telling everyone to make a roleclaim post and encrypt it, then reveal their encryption keys/methods all at once for example. No saying "my role PM has X characters in it" And if you come up with it, and you're a little too proud of coming up with it as a way to get around the spirit of the game, don't post it. Mods, do your best to prevent this crap in the first place if you can. Don't give everyone with the same role and/or win condition the exact same wording for example.
  • "Outside influences" such as bribing, threats, promises, whatever falls under the above. Don't do it.
  • Don't be an ass. This includes "bussing" fellow scum/cultist teammates. By bussing we mean revealing fellow scumteam members as scum to spite them or gain townie points.
  • No backseat modding. Unless the game's GM/Mod asks for forum moderator assistance, let them handle it. Especially if they have forum moderator privileges themselves. This is more of a respect/courtesy thing than a rule. Pointing out that the hammer has fallen and noone should be talking until the moderator handles it is fine; deleting posts put up after the hammer isn't.
  • If you signed up for a Mafia Game, you're expected to participate actively. It's up to a GM to setup a minimal post quota for each player so that the game won't get hampered by inactive players. If you know you won't be able to play for more than one day, it is your responsibility to let the GM know in advance.
  • Please don't try to be an Internet detective to find out who was online where and when. Not only is it not a good way of hunting down players, it's also a bit creepy and unfair for the person. Don't base most of your case on someone around "his last online time was X thus he was online at hammer but didn't post/vote" for example.
  • Don't abuse the Board's Voting system - don't upvote/downvote player's posts unless you are allowed from the mod
  • Don't edit your posts in game thread

:soviet:CVC - Cumulative Vote Count

Time Left:
23 hours, 59 min, 59 sec
CVC:
Category 5 Hurricane voted nobody
Chaos_Knight voted nobody
Death_Kitty voted nobody
FRAYDO voted nobody
Isaac The Madd voted nobody
Killing You voted nobody
Mojoman voted nobody
Nodlied voted nobody
One Winged Angel voted nobody
Voe voted nobody
0/10 votes casted so far
No votes casted so far

Tempting, but seems like a stupid icebreaker.

I'm going to ##votelynch Voe because if he's Allies he's a major threat, and if he's not I'll just unvote later. Guess it all depends on how this plays out, eh?

[Vote Counted] Killing You voted Voe to be lynched!

tip: use ##Vote PlayerName

Yea vote is enough since we don't have any other votes in this game (we used to have two types of votes in some rpg games then it was important :p)

Also, bold the actions so they are more visible if I'm not using search or bot.

Tempting, but seems like a stupid icebreaker.

I'm going to ##votelynch Voe because if he's Allies he's a major threat, and if he's not I'll just unvote later. Guess it all depends on how this plays out, eh?

Impressive.

Also, terrible time to start the game. I will be semi absent during the weekend :argh:

Yea vote is enough since we don't have any other votes in this game (we used to have two types of votes in some rpg games then it was important :p)

Also, bold the actions so they are more visible if I'm not using search or bot.

Noted for future reference. Thanks for the info!

Voe voted nobody

Oh boy, you know what this means.

##Vote Voe

[Vote Counted] Nodlied voted Voe to be lynched!

##vote Nodlied

:dance:

Time Left:
22 hours, 58 min, 10 sec
CVC:
Death_Kitty voted nobody
FRAYDO voted nobody
Killing You voted Voe
Mojoman voted nobody
Nodlied voted Voe
Voe voted nobody
2/10 votes casted so far
Voe has the most votes - 2

Voe voted nobody
Oh boy, you know what this means.

##Vote Voe

[Vote Counted] Nodlied voted Voe to be lynched!

##vote Nodlied

:dance:

[Vote Counted] Voe voted Nodlied to be lynched!
Time Left:
22 hours, 57 min, 18 sec
CVC:
Death_Kitty voted nobody
FRAYDO voted nobody
Killing You voted Voe
Mojoman voted nobody
Nodlied voted Voe