[GAME OVER] Apocalypse Rising Mafia II: Dark Night

Jeod
Message added by Jeod,

Just now, Killing_You said:

Yes, I read your other reminder that it's not a good movie. I'll remember to force myself not to enjoy it :v 

In all seriousness, while I acknowledge that it's not good, I do feel that there are some legitimately good parts to it. There's some attempts at a commentary on post-911 attitudes, and the movie does get better if you see it through that lens. More importantly, I will defend the overall character arc for Kirk in the Kelvin Trilogy, even if most of the development is in 2009 and Beyond.

Are you telling me he doesn't run off to do something stupid by himself for a change? ;)

1 minute ago, Shade939 said:

Are you telling me he doesn't run off to do something stupid by himself for a change? ;)

In 2009? Yes, but that's the beginning of his arc. He's arrogant and a bit selfish, but he does show intelligence and some leadership qualities. Guy has some growing to do.

In Beyond? Not as much. By the end of the film, he (and the other characters) have grown into their roles, which is emphasized when Kirk stares at the picture of the original cast at the end. 

Is it the most well executed character arc in cinema? No. But I still enjoy it, and I do think it's a good character arc. It's also why I say "Kelvin Trilogy" instead of "Kelvin Timeline," because Beyond is a good end point for basically that reason.

1 minute ago, Killing_You said:

In 2009? Yes, but that's the beginning of his arc. He's arrogant and a bit selfish, but he does show intelligence and some leadership qualities. Guy has some growing to do.

In Beyond? Not as much. By the end of the film, he (and the other characters) have grown into their roles, which is emphasized when Kirk stares at the picture of the original cast at the end. 

Is it the most well executed character arc in cinema? No. But I still enjoy it, and I do think it's a good character arc. It's also why I say "Kelvin Trilogy" instead of "Kelvin Timeline," because Beyond is a good end point for basically that reason.

Also Anton Yelchin died, so...

5 minutes ago, Killing_You said:

The problem is he's an action hero, who by there very nature is arrogant and a bit selfish, instead of a captain who is intelligent and shows leadership qualities.

He regularly abandons his position in order to pursue his own selfish interest, and try to personally solve the problems himself.

1 minute ago, Shade939 said:

The problem is he's an action hero, who by there very nature is arrogant and a bit selfish, instead of a captain who is intelligent and shows leadership qualities.

He regularly abandons his position in order to pursue his own selfish interest, and try to personally solve the problems himself.

Yeah, because Kirk was never an action hero in TOS :v

Just now, Shade939 said:

He wasn't the only character in those shows though, and the entire plotline didn't revolve around whatever he was doing and was basically told from his viewpoint.

Retal is requesting we go back to talking about Fire Emblem because he's a NERD.

Just now, Jeod said:

Two hours, folks.

and with two hours remaining I am again appealing for a No Lynch.

12 minutes ago, ChopBam said:

As for FRAYDO, it's 5 for FRAYDO and 3 for nolynch. I could swing this with a vote change, but my better intuition says
giphy.gif

The 50/50 FRAYDO/NoLynch is better than my current predicament, but gaining knowledge from a definite flip should work better.

I will reiterate that I will flip Conscript but of course you can’t know that until it actually happens.

2 minutes ago, FRAYDO said:

The 50/50 FRAYDO/NoLynch is better than my current predicament, but gaining knowledge from a definite flip should work better.

I will reiterate that I will flip Conscript but of course you can’t know that until it actually happens.

it also lets me figure out who I should roleblock, because it means something else stopped the NK, and helps me shift my suspect pool.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

If we no lynch, where will be tomorrow?  We need to seriously ask ourselves that.  We'll probably be right back here.  This is stalling the game.

There's night actions, but they typically end up with another town death and useful info is unlikely.

1 minute ago, ChopBam said:

There's night actions, but they typically end up with another town death and useful info is unlikely.

Let's just say I'm not the most confident in our night abilities.

1 minute ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

Stalling the game isn't so bad, given scum having a time limit.

I mean, I'll just repeat what I said D1 about surrendering initiative.

1 minute ago, ChopBam said:

There might be a better case for that if we still had 2 missile silos.

In a world where FRAYDO is somehow right that scum used last night to scout, they probably know exactly who to hit tonight while we're sitting here with our pants down doing nothing.  Granted, in that world, and if FRAYDO is town, killing FRAYDO is also not ideal :v

3 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

In a world where FRAYDO is somehow right that scum used last night to scout, they probably know exactly who to hit tonight while we're sitting here with our pants down doing nothing.  Granted, in that world, and if FRAYDO is town, killing FRAYDO is also not ideal :v

In that world FRAYDO will never die and we'll be left with him alive at MYLO.

Better to make the choice now and not uselessly hope for a cop clear or silo victory.

12 minutes ago, FRAYDO said:

image.thumb.png.63d398d8fe0a2c406db4bab41bd591d0.png