90 Field of View

Garrus09

So some of you might know and some might not. The First Person View camera is set dreadfully low. I know it will take time to rerig and position weapons. However some and even most don't know that Third Person is a thing in the game and have to power through the terrible field of view. I suggest raising it to at least 90. This is the minimum for most people's acceptance in FoV terms.

Thoughts?

It'd be good to get the FoV set to 90, but we'd have to a take a look at how the weapons are rigged up in order to do that.

I can always get in touch with Eggman891 and get him to maybe give me a crash course. :)

In what game? I've never seen it as a problem. I didn't even know the camera position was an editable feature in w3d.

It's not so much a problem for everyone as it is a problem for still quite a few. Total Biscuit takes most FPS games seriously when it comes to graphics settings and FoV sliders are a pet peev. He almost refuses to play any shooter with a low FoV slider because it gives him headaches. I get headaches after playing CoD for to long. http://youtu.be/AAgc43e-zp4?t=2m38s CoD Ghosts also has no FoV slider.

The problem is that FoV in W3D is per-camera type, which means there is no such thing as a universal modifiable value. I wonder how hard it would be to add a slider that scales ALL FoV values in cameras.ini by a percentage, so the middle would be 100% and you can scale from 80% to 120% or something.....

Idunno, I guess it varies from person to person. I hate how warped everything on the sides gets at high FOV, and it gives me the impression that the camera is positioned way behind where it should be. Different strokes...

I'll agree here the camera feels very wrong. I tried it on AR before too. It looks weird on the side-ends. If anything I'm okay with a per-player-setting but please don't force everyone to 90 fov.

Idunno, I guess it varies from person to person. I hate how warped everything on the sides gets at high FOV, and it gives me the impression that the camera is positioned way behind where it should be. Different strokes...

I'll agree here the camera feels very wrong. I tried it on AR before too. It looks weird on the side-ends. If anything I'm okay with a per-player-setting but please don't force everyone to 90 fov.

i have to agree with this as a client side option it's fine but as long as it's not forced.

you can fix those hand positions in levelEdit easy with the weapon offset settings. there you can adjust X Y Z. also you can adjust it per weapon, just edit the weapon preset.

if you use a higher field of view, then realistic scaled house/citys would look weird and to small and thin :stare: also it eats more fps. i dont wanna shoot stickmans dude.

Edited by rackz

So 3rd person is jsut better, right?

Would you rather see most of everything around you? or would you rather look through a box restricting most of your actual eye sight... Seems pretty one sided.

It is more difficult to rig for 90 fov. I use that fov in like team fortress 2. It allways looked strange in w3d though.

haha, if it was my choice I would just disable first person :p

We could always have a look at rigging the arms up for 90 degrees FoV. I imagine that spacing the arms further apart from each other would help. We can get together and consult Eggfeg about it for sure!

just dropping my two cents in for 90 FOV, it's what i use for all FPSs and i think a cap of 100 might be worth looking into... First person weapon visuals permitting

on the other side, levels in W3D games aren't as tight-knit as quake and UT. which i think really should influence FOV

Please keep in mind that after Renegade moved to 4.x its FOV became dependent on your resolution 1920x1080 has a wider horizontal fov than 1024x768, but 1024x768 has a larger vertical fov than 1920x1080. So if you really want a wider field of view, just string up a bunch of monitors and slider that slider to max, just keep in mind your sacrificing vertical fov.