[DAY 9 - Game End] Death Note themed Detective Mafia Forum Game

VERTi60

9VxkLsW.jpg

"At first, I wrote the names of the worst criminals I could think of. Like I was cleaning up the world, one name at a time. So that eventually no one will ever do anything evil again. And while the truly guilty ones who deserve to be punished for their crimes die of heart attacks. The people who are less guilty but who still make trouble for others will slowly be erased through disease and accidental death. Then and only then the world will start moving in the right direction. It'll be a new world, free of injustice, and populated by people who I’ve judged to be honest kind and hardworking."

"But if you did that, it would make you the only bad person left.

As requested, I'm starting the signup process for the announced Death Note Mafia Forum Game, based on popular manga series. The story follows Light Yagami, a high school student who discovers a supernatural notebook from a Shinigami named Ryuk that grants its user (also known as "Kira", e.g. Killer) the ability to kill anyone whose name and face he knows. The series centers around Light's attempts to create and rule a world "cleansed of evil" as "God" using the notebook, and the efforts of a detective known as L to stop him. What happens next will depend on you as you will be the story maker by your own game actions and decisions.

But be warned, this isn't going to be your standard Mafia game. Focused heavily on judgmental skills of the players, the game will be completely free of RNG mechanics, in fact, there won't be any other ways to die, well, besides the death note. There won't be any standard mafia team either, anyone can become the "Kira" (killer), if they chose to. Still, the goal won't focus on killing either, but to unravel the plot behind it all. Prepare for a game where you will be forced to win the battle of the wits of your lifetime, or die trying.

WAFGeCZ.png

u8D5V0X.pngGame UPDATE:

Depending on sign ups and player availability, I plan to launch this game in February, it will be either next Friday, 3rd, or the next one following it, 10th of February 2017 February 25th at standard 10 PM  UTC/GMT (subject to change based on when the game is ready).
Day phases will last 48 hours maxwhile night will last max 24 hours, meaning that if you want to participate, you should check and check each day at least once or twice to complete your actions. Though the more you participate the better, as the game becomes more active and fun. The game will last approximately 2-4 weeks depending on player signed and game progress.

All roles and factions will be randomized before game starts, if you want to have a specific role, PM me in advance. You can pick a character from the Death Note if you know them, but the game's flavor may be different. The major factions in the game will be the detectives, shinigami and Kira wannabees. However, each character will follow their own goal as well, trying to achieve it before game ends, and each character can do that by either hunting the Kira or becoming the Kira. Therefore, no one can be really trusted.

The Game's Plot will be different (yet still similar) than the original series, so don't expect the characters will be same as well. If you would like to join the game and if you haven't provided me your google login/account yet, please PM me. The game will have a lot of google docs assigned and permissions will have to be send to players.

Signed Players (from interest thread):

(minimum 12 players, max 20, signed 10 )

Game Progress:

If you're new to mafia forum gaming, or you want to know details how this is played, check the info below.

MfQu0uD.png 

u8D5V0X.pngHow to Play a Detective Mafia Forum Game

The concept is pretty similar to standard Mafia games, although there will be obvious differences. The first big one as mentioned is that there will be no obvious mafia, or scum. The killer could be anyone at any given time, depending on who has the Death Note and if it's being used. The goal of the game isn't just to catch the culprit caught in action, but also to investigate the mystery behind the plot as well. Therefore every character in game will be important as everyone will have some leads that will be uncovered as the game progresses. Ultimately the game will end when there is no way to use the Death Note again (and hence no Kira anymore too).

The game is broken up into two phases: classic Day (48 hour duration) phase and a classic Night (24 hour duration) phase.

During the DAY, everyone talks and tries to build cases against each other directly in the forum thread. The point of the day is to find a person responsible for the killing, and investigate him. There will be no lynching as you are used from other mafia games, as we are more civilized in Detective Mafia games. As said before, each character is important piece of the puzzle, so killing them willingly is not good to solve the mystery (for the Kira however, it's different).

The goal of the day is to catch the Kira with the Notebook. If that happens, the Death Note will be confiscated and possible culprit will be held in custody for the whole night, which will reveal more info about the character as well next day. Any other player will have just their identity revealed to everybody. This is important for the night mechanics as well (more info below).

People will vote for one person they want to be investigated and the person with the most votes will be revealed at the end of the day. Your vote should be in this format:
##Vote PlayerName
If you decide to change your vote, you must first ##unvote (player name not required but is helpful) or you can simply vote another player if you already know who.

In case of a tie between more players, the investigation will be passed on the first voted player (meaning that extra votes to cause a tie will not help in the end)

Hammers will also not end current Day. Meaning that if one person gets 50% of the votes, it won't trigger the end of the day. A proper detective reserves a time for proper investigation. No shortcuts for the Kira(s) as well to end the day sooner.

All Day actions need to be acknowledged by the mod before they are counted (just simple line to acknowledge so you know it came through, Current Vote Counts (or CVC) will appear periodically to inform you about the time remaining as well as the current vote status). Remember, without the mod acknowledge line, your vote or action doesn't count, so please don't do actions before the previous one was resolved. If it was missed, please use ##TIMEOUT command to stop the game, but only if it's really required (otherwise just repeat your action). All players are required to participate in chat, if one player stays quiet whole phase he/she might get role blocked for the next plan phase.

During the NIGHT, players will be able to use their special night actions to help with progress. This is also the time when the Death Note will be used. Only the current owner will have access to it. The Death Note itself can be passed to players too. Using the Death Note will also have some rules, which will be following the manga series ones, but due to the limitations of the Forum Game, some will not be present. There might be few extra rules how to use the Death Note to make the game playable. These will not be revealed to public though, only the Death Note user(s) will know. The only rule you will know from start is that in order to use the Death Note, the victim's identity (player's character name) has to be revealed to the killer first (either by public investigation, other night action, or some other means). Just by mentioning some character's name in game however will not cut it, the killer needs to know the real identity of the specific player first.

Besides the night actions and Death Note usage, players will also be able to visit each other during the Night, and communicate in private in designated google docs.

Plan/Night actions are done classic way by the Private Message, same as resolved action replies. If you have a night action and do not inform me by PM in advance before the next Battle phase begins (preferably asap, but not later than one hour before the game starts), otherwise you do nothing that night.

Forum Posting during the Night/Plan Phase is limited - 2 posts per player max. Players who won't comply will either receive a gimmick or a force vote on themselves.

Game will end when the Death Note cannot be used by anyone or when all players die besides Kira (the one currently holding the notebook).

There are also extra guidelines which are posted in the general thread, but let's recap the main ones for those who are new:

• Try to stick to the timetable
  • Await your Role PM soon before the game starts, if you have any questions, let me know before we start, since after that I won't have time to check PMs
  • Please be civil! No spamming or swearing. It's just a game. Let's have fun!
  • If you are not in the game, please DO NOT post game related stuff in chat!
  • DO NOT discuss the game outside of the thread unless you are specifically given permission by me.
  • DO NOT quote private mod communications.
  • DO NOT attempt to break the game. No trying to get people to make toxx clauses, encryption, or fake day actions. Basically, if you're about to post something you're a little too proud of as a way of breaking the game, think twice before posting.
  • Good luck!

n7wuWqo.png

u8D5V0X.pngPlayer Roles, Flavor & Factions

Now as far as flavor and roles go, we'll have classic characters from the Death Note series. They might not be exact copies, but pretty close. If you want to be familiar with them before the game starts, you can check here.

y.jpg

v0Ox6yc.png

u8D5V0X.pngGame Specifics:

More details and rules will be posted before the game starts, it depends on how many players will sign up. The more players, the more characters, the more diverse and interesting plot to uncover, more fun. But it also needs to be balanced and at least proof tested so therefore additional mechanics and rules will become available here after sign up phase is over.

Read Prequel and New Game Mechanics Here

qeFcD0h.png

With just 9 or 10 players there would be a big chance to catch kira day 1 so therefore we need at least 12, preferably 16 to make the game great. Also due to the plot mechanics and character interactions.

We used to have 12 players to play these games in past with no problem though.

I do actually really like the concept and normally I'd be jumping at the chance to play this with perhaps more excitement than usual, but at the moment, the most I am willing to do is be a fill-in. Whether I'm willing to be a field-filler or not depends on if the game can even attract enough attention for that to matter.

I wonder if he can be talked into this one since (I'm assuming) there's nothing experimental going on.

The experimental part here is the absence of RNG mechanics and direct combat actions. On the other hand we have new investigation voting mechanics and all the death note rules. Plus some old mechanics I've used for theme mafia games.

I do actually really like the concept and normally I'd be jumping at the chance to play this with perhaps more excitement than usual, but at the moment, the most I am willing to do is be a fill-in. Whether I'm willing to be a field-filler or not depends on if the game can even attract enough attention for that to matter.

What does it mean being a fill in though regarding play style? I would like if all participants join as full dedicated players since this is more player influencing story oriented setting with all characters being important rather than having a game with few PRs and rest vanilla roles.

We only need 5 more players. Of the ones that are already on the forum, there's potential for Moonsense, Generalcamo, Nodlied, Wallywood, Isaac The Madd, NoSpoons, and you, Cat5.

And it's still potential as I do not yet know how busy I will be during the next period. I'm almost done with the current work, but I won't really be able to judge until next week.

I think you two don't have to worry as I'm leading more to 10th of February start date so we have another week to either get more players or re-balance the game for low player count (which I would hate to do because a lot of great characters would have to be removed).

I say delay until we get the full complement. 

As much as I want to play a Death Note mafia, I'm inclined to agree. If you've got the setup planned out, then you can easily run it later and replace this with another classic APB mafia (without the gimmicks this time, perhaps?)

I say delay until we get the full complement. 

As much as I want to play a Death Note mafia, I'm inclined to agree. If you've got the setup planned out, then you can easily run it later and replace this with another classic APB mafia (without the gimmicks this time, perhaps?)

I can run APB Mafia (gimmick free) anytime since it's almost completely automated (even RNG mechanics), so whenever there's demand I can run a game with the current or old roles. If we have at least 5 players ready we can start one tomorrow.