[DAY 9 - Game End] Death Note themed Detective Mafia Forum Game

VERTi60

Just now, Category 5 Hurricane said:

I don't blame you guys for taking the actions you did. I don't view the decision to kill me as a betrayal, for example, because we were never on the same team, so there is no need to explain yourselves. It did, however, mean that from my perspective, we were clear enemies from that moment forward. Thus my motives for the remainder of the game.

Ha, yeah, I know. This is just is me as a newbie trying to claim a bit more credit :v

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

But that said I'll fully admit my performance is probably a fluke. I bet next game I derp up pretty hard or something.

It was good that you played as town at the start because you had no choice. In future games you'll have to fake that if you're scum.

Just now, Jeod said:

It was good that you played as town at the start because you had no choice. In future games you'll have to fake that if you're scum.

Yeah, that's one thing I'm worried about. Cat 5's arguments were pretty effective on that front when the endgame started, but I'll also say that kind of is my natural argumentation style regardless. I'm kind of afraid I'm going to be one of those "plays the same way no matter what team" players, which will make me ineffective unless third party.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

Yeah, that's one thing I'm worried about. Cat 5's arguments were pretty effective on that front when the endgame started, but I'll also say that kind of is my natural argumentation style regardless. I'm kind of afraid I'm going to be one of those "plays the same way no matter what team" players, which will make me ineffective unless third party.

That's my style though, and it works well for me.

Ok, game over. Cool.

Before the flood of "I will not play with KY anymore" comments come, don't worry. This is my last mafia game. (This is why I threw the match, btw)

It's been fun. Just wish it could've been fun for you guys, too.

6 minutes ago, Killing You said:

Ok, game over. Cool.

Before the flood of "I will not play with KY anymore" comments come, don't worry. This is my last mafia game. (This is why I threw the match, btw)

It's been fun. Just wish it could've been fun for you guys, too.

Hmmm, I think we were all having fun?

I realized towards the end that my actions had completely ruined the experience for everyone, and that it wasn't fun anymore for everyone else. I should've realized sooner that I was doing nothing but causing anger and frustration. I'm sorry.

Just now, Killing You said:

I realized towards the end that my actions had completely ruined the experience for everyone, and that it wasn't fun anymore for everyone else. I should've realized sooner that I was doing nothing but causing anger and frustration. I'm sorry.

I think some people were playing the roles a bit strongly, but I don't think you were ruining it for anyone.

Woah woah woah, man. Hold the phone. Apparently Nodlied's guilt-trip really hit home. You really don't have anything to be ashamed of KY. You were playing the role you were given and placed yourself in good position. I think you made a great villain, and great stories need great villains. Playing the way you did made the game better as you gave town (and me) something to fight against.

I can't speak for what Nodlied was saying, but when it came to the comments I was making about you, I was doing so hoping to get the three of you to get suspicious of each other and maybe open a way to victory as a result. Emotional warfare was the only tool I thought I had to stop you all from winning. Thanks to ChopBam, that wound up not being necessary.

Just like with Jeod, trying to stop you wasn't personal. Because of the events of the game, you weren't on my side, therefore I wanted to stop you. I do want to see you continue playing, as you've improved greatly in a short period of time and are a great player to have around. Don't take these things personal. We're not playing town vs mafia for real, and we don't (normally) have a choice on how to play or which goals to achieve. When you have to play scum, you can't feel bad about it.

Yeah, and with Nod's comments, I think he kind of forgot you never were town in the first place. I think some of that was him thinking you were a town defector, which wasn't the case. Even if everything was true, I'm pretty sure his comments were still in jest and just wanting to drag someone down with him ;)

1 minute ago, FRAYDO said:

Interesting reads, those Docs.

I had fun with this, thanks for the good game! It was too late for me, but I totally called you Orange. Hello, you scum. :p

Yeah, at that point I still didn't have an overall plan, was just checking people off one by one and figured eventually something would happen. You'd been marked for awhile, as a delayed death though, so once you started agitating I figured maybe it was best if I just stopped talking for awhile because I knew sooner rather than later you'd lose the ability to share your suspicions ;)

7 minutes ago, Category 5 Hurricane said:

Woah woah woah, man. Hold the phone. Apparently Nodlied's guilt-trip really hit home. You really don't have anything to be ashamed of KY. You were playing the role you were given and placed yourself in good position. I think you made a great villain, and great stories need great villains. Playing the way you did made the game better as you gave town (and me) something to fight against.

I can't speak for what Nodlied was saying, but when it came to the comments I was making about you, I was doing so hoping to get the three of you to get suspicious of each other and maybe open a way to victory as a result. Emotional warfare was the only tool I thought I had to stop you all from winning. Thanks to ChopBam, that wound up not being necessary.

Just like with Jeod, trying to stop you wasn't personal. Because of the events of the game, you weren't on my side, therefore I wanted to stop you. I do want to see you continue playing, as you've improved greatly in a short period of time and are a great player to have around. Don't take these things personal. We're not playing town vs mafia for real, and we don't (normally) have a choice on how to play or which goals to achieve. When you have to play scum, you can't feel bad about it.

Thanks, man. I needed that.

Unfortunately, due to certain things I'm not very good at telling the difference between fun, in-game trash talk (which is what I was going for against Jeod pre-reveal and town post-reveal) and people actually being pissed off. I default to the latter to avoid escalating a bad situation.

Well that was fun, even though I have to admit that I felt like town was doomed from the get go.

Kira(s) had an unkillable, untrackable floating rainbow tree on their side (seriously, even that role of mine was more vulnerable and had more ways to die/lose than Jeod/Ryuk in this game) + it started off as 5 Task Force, 4 suspects and 1 Shinigami.

I'll state it right here that my objective was to eliminate all competition which included both Task Force and other Kiras. Sure enough I decided that it felt wrong for Mello to go on like it, so I stuck to the Task Force, and kept my personal objective as a back up plan of "revenge" should police die out though it never went in motion.

What it felt like to me personally is that Task Force became sort of fodder while Kiras played their mind games and plans.
IMO Vert needed 1 less Kira and 1 more police guy to balance it all out.

Props to Orange on the good game though.
And KY, don't feel too bad, though Nodlied and you should prob. sort it out IMO just to make sure that stuff is ok.

While I mostly agree with the above, I wonder what would have happened if the town reinforcements came into play? While in this game scum organized shockingly well and had some lucky breaks, they weren't too far away from having to deal with a "N Team" whatever that meant. Change one or two variables in this game and we get a rather different result. What if, for example, Orange never got L powers? How would they get a book? What if Nodlied was investigated instead of Voe? What would Voe have done with that?

There's a lot of complicated stuff going on in this game, and while I feel the initial "loadout" of players was rather scum heavy, I can also see scum having a hard time actually getting books, keeping them once they have them, and using their abilities without being caught by CVC analytics.

I think, actually, we can chalk this up at least in part to kills not happening right away. The natural instinct of the scum would be to kill quickly, to reduce town strength, but having 2-3 names out in the open at once allowed me to alpha strike by having multiple people in the note under control at once. That wouldn't have happened if people were being killed as soon as their names went public. It's not so much the Kiras were aggressive, but as soon as one went to pull the trigger (me), I was able to very quickly write everyone at once. Grabbing Voe's note and writing him in it happened before I'd even made a plan, or gotten in contact with any other scum. Indeed, I was deliberately taking my time to cultivate some distance between me and the scene of the crime as well as hopefully discover more names, as I took the step of stealing the note Mojo was caught with rather than writing in it immediately, which seemed to be right when people were getting ancy for some kills, heh. I really wanted to tell Jeod to chill that day, as he'd be getting his way soon enough, but there was no way for me to signal him.

3 hours ago, Chaos_Knight said:

Well that was fun, even though I have to admit that I felt like town was doomed from the get go.

Kira(s) had an unkillable, untrackable floating rainbow tree on their side (seriously, even that role of mine was more vulnerable and had more ways to die/lose than Jeod/Ryuk in this game) + it started off as 5 Task Force, 4 suspects and 1 Shinigami.

I'll state it right here that my objective was to eliminate all competition which included both Task Force and other Kiras. Sure enough I decided that it felt wrong for Mello to go on like it, so I stuck to the Task Force, and kept my personal objective as a back up plan of "revenge" should police die out though it never went in motion.

What it felt like to me personally is that Task Force became sort of fodder while Kiras played their mind games and plans.
IMO Vert needed 1 less Kira and 1 more police guy to balance it all out.

Props to Orange on the good game though.
And KY, don't feel too bad, though Nodlied and you should prob. sort it out IMO just to make sure that stuff is ok.

It wasn't Jeod who was controlling the conclusion of the game, so I wouldn't call him being on Kira's side. He only distributed death notes and had to make sure they were used. They could have been used for several purposes though as the game was more or less open to any tactic, and town, despite already having the best gear (guns, armor, auto mason tools, detective tools, etc), could even use the weapon of mafia. For example Jod could as well work with voe (who wanted to try the death note) or Mojoman who I suspected kinda flipped too to have the death note. The game was more objective oriented than team oriented, teams could be created as people saw fit (even suspects and detectives working together was already happening more than once in this game). Also Kira suspects were also guided to act more as lone wolves than a team, you can check from docs that Orange was risking when he opened an alliance with KY. Kiras could effectively betray each other in order to push their own objective, where detectives were more "team oriented".

Hence what you say about balancing doesn't really or necessarily change things, and originally I had it 50% detectives 50$ suspects and 2 shinigamis.

Up until last second, it was undecided whether Light wins the game. Category 5 could have let Chopbam to call reinforcements (replacement for L and his bodyguard).

Also Mello was just one character in play, N was also Mello's replacement in case Mello won't use a notebook. So if you felt like Mello was too hard perhaps you could won with N :p

Anyway I'll make a more detailed comment in the last day post.

Not everyone played their character, in fact if you check the game characters later, maybe only Orange (and KY until he silently dropped) truly played the character...

When I get time I will post an analysis of character plays though.

9 hours ago, Killing You said:

Oh don't you worry about that! Fun has definately been had all the way from the start until the end. You playing your role was the right choice. Don't you worry about that. My rage/frustration/anger/whatever posts were intended to have one of two outcomes.
1. To have you turn to town and force you to accept a town victory (mind game).
2. To ensure that town would go after now that you were confirmed scum (it's my job to take care of scum :v) and to hopefully cause some distrust between the several scum and you.

I didn't actually mean to cause stress to you, I hoped that you would take the kind reminder of the possible CoH match as a hint that it wasn't the case, as I know that you sometimes have hard times with these things. Alas, I failed on that part. So sorry if I caused any issues.

To end this though, well played. Scummy players could afford it to mostly focus on their personal objectives while town had see if they could discard theirs in order to win. So good choices on that one. (In fact, I achieved my personal objective at the moment, but I'm renouncing that win should it come around, as I wanted a team win.)  I still don't fully believe that you had plotted your betrayal from the start, but I may be proven wrong once Verti comes up with the post game statistics and his thoughts on how everyone played. In fact, your sudden turn had me scratching my head in shame and disbelief after trusting you, the same probably happened with Voe when he found out about Orange's true allegiance, showing that even the oldest and most experienced players can make the wrong judgements and fall for ruses every now and then. Props to Cat5 for kiling you (no pun intended) with Cromwells though.

In case you still had any doubts, you didn't piss me off, we're good. ;) 

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised about the Cat5 and Choppy doc. Great content in there. @ChopBam I did indeed post that town's loss was a forgone conclusion, which was an intended ruse. I knew I was going to die, somebody actually granting my wish to survive longer (pretty unlikely considering who probably got the debtnote with my name in it) would have somewhat helped, but could also have disturbed possible victory. However, that post was filled with hints for either Voe or Chaos_Knight on what both had to be done and what could potentially help. I knew about the ''N'' call, as you specified that many times, both in public and in private. The defeatist attitude was meant to sway scum to not to pay too much attention to me or to have them let me live longer for the fun of it. People who know me well enough know that I don't give up until the game is truly over. :v (Which, again, I hoped they would pick up on.)

Oh, and @Category 5 Hurricane, I won't stop my crusade against anime. :v You wondered about the point of it all, there isn't one really, I just enjoy it. Used to hate it for just about any reason, don't really care about it these days, but mislabeling, attacking and crusading is still enjoyable.

l.aspx?k=1632814

Most of all, well played to you lads! Although I still question Mojoman's motives on D6. 

Edited by Nodlied
AHAHAHAHAHAHA, an actual edit in a mafia!

This was my exact role request to Vert:

As far as my role request goes, I can't request a specific one because they're all different from what I may expect--and I can't request to be a Kira since that role appears to change. I want a role that is critical to the game, though. I love going head to head with Cat5 and Voe, and in this sort of game I can't pass up the opportunity to do so. A role that is immensely helpful in putting the puzzle together while also secretly maintaining his own goals sounds amazing. That points to Light Yagami or L, but again I can't be certain they'll have that kind of role.

Now that you know what I'd like, I trust you to select the best role for my personality.

I ended up being the guy who somewhat controlled how the game progressed. I even made a great distraction--even in the docs I can see that you were all trying to figure out how to kill me or putting me on your "save for later but ignore for now" lists.

3 hours ago, Nodlied said:

Oh don't you worry about that! Fun has definately been had all the way from the start until the end. You playing your role was the right choice. Don't you worry about that. My rage/frustration/anger/whatever posts were intended to have one of two outcomes.
1. To have you turn to town and force you to accept a town victory (mind game).
2. To ensure that town would go after now that you were confirmed scum (it's my job to take care of scum :v) and to hopefully cause some distrust between the several scum and you.

I didn't actually mean to cause stress to you, I hoped that you would take the kind reminder of the possible CoH match as a hint that it wasn't the case, as I know that you sometimes have hard times with these things. Alas, I failed on that part. So sorry if I caused any issues.

To end this though, well played. Scummy players could afford it to mostly focus on their personal objectives while town had see if they could discard theirs in order to win. So good choices on that one. (In fact, I achieved my personal objective at the moment, but I'm renouncing that win should it come around, as I wanted a team win.)  I still don't fully believe that you had plotted your betrayal from the start, but I may be proven wrong once Verti comes up with the post game statistics and his thoughts on how everyone played. In fact, your sudden turn had me scratching my head in shame and disbelief after trusting you, the same probably happened with Voe when he found out about Orange's true allegiance, showing that even the oldest and most experienced players can make the wrong judgements and fall for ruses every now and then. Props to Cat5 for kiling you (no pun intended) with Cromwells though.

In case you still had any doubts, you didn't piss me off, we're good. ;) 

That's good to hear. I suppose that if I was actually ruining the game, you'd let me know directly.

It's official, then. More mafia for me!