Red Alert 2: Apocalypse Rising - Ask a developer!

OWA

Can engineers have similar spy functionality when it comes to stealing tech? As in engineer goes into enemy building than the team gets the build the other side's stuff.

Uh, when was this ever a thing in RA2? Spies only enabled the ability to build veteran versions of their own units when they went into a factory, and going into a battle lab enabled a unit that wasn't even initially buildable by either side anyway.

Engineers being able to flat-out steal technology is a thing that's been tried already, it was on MPF's APB server back in version 2.1.4, and it was almost as much of a disastrous decision as tech levels. Somehow I don't think the AR devs want to do something that someone else has already proven to be a bad idea, but I'll let them speak for themselves.

Can engineers have similar spy functionality when it comes to stealing tech? As in engineer goes into enemy building than the team gets the build the other side's stuff.

Uh, when was this ever a thing in RA2? Spies only enabled the ability to build veteran versions of their own units when they went into a factory, and going into a battle lab enabled a unit that wasn't even initially buildable by either side anyway.

Engineers being able to flat-out steal technology is a thing that's been tried already, it was on MPF's APB server back in version 2.1.4, and it was almost as much of a disastrous decision as tech levels. Somehow I don't think the AR devs want to do something that someone else has already proven to be a bad idea, but I'll let them speak for themselves.

What i mean is engineer goes in building, does something and you can than build enemy units from the building the engineer entered.

I vote for cute attack dogs that would make infantry think about PETA or cuteness instead of shooting it.

Edited by System Error Message

Paratroopers are most likely going to be a thing (consult OWA for more info on that), the Grand Cannon will certainly appear, and garrisoning won't work like it did in RA2, if we implement it in some fashion.

What i mean is engineer goes in building, does something and you can than build enemy units from the building the engineer entered.

You mean let the engineer capture stuff the same way as in the RTS games? That sounds pretty broken if you can just start pumping our vehicles in the middle of the enemy base. Not to mention, what happens if I use an engineer to take over your barracks? You now have no barracks and cannot train any engineers to take it back...

Paratroopers are most likely going to be a thing (consult OWA for more info on that), the Grand Cannon will certainly appear, and garrisoning won't work like it did in RA2, if we implement it in some fashion.

Are we talking player-controlled paratroopers? As in, a bunch of you go into the Air Force Command, press some panel to summon the plane, get magically teleported into the plane, and then someone flies it or it flies itself to the destination? Kinda like a supply truck rush, but with an airplane?

Edited by delta

Looks like I'll take the answering from OWA this time :p

1. Will the Yuri faction ever be implemented?

2. Is the allied destroyer going to be a 2 player thing or 1 player with AI? (The VTOL at the back, or perhaps it can rearm other VOTLs?)

3. Will the soviet's dreadnaught have guided missiles or some sort of missile system like in RA2 where it could turn?

4. Is the giant squid from soviets going to be implemented?

5. Is the chrono capability going to be implemented? (infantry, ore gathering)?

6. How will the IFV work? And also the allies big tank that can run over other tanks.

7. will the kirov airship be implemented? Someone actually made this in from the depths.

8. Can engineers have similar spy functionality when it comes to stealing tech? As in engineer goes into enemy building than the team gets the build the other side's stuff.

9. Will special faction units be implemented? (i.e. grand cannon, snipers)

10. Will the allies only be able to build 4 harriers per radar or more?

11. Can the spy steal cash?

12. Will the dogs look cute and terrifying?

1. It wont be a playable team, but a small AI team of Yuri's forces might appear as secondary objectives on certain maps, and as an AI team that will keep harrassing both teams.

2. I actually talked to Jerad2142 and from the discussion it came out we can totally toggle player/AI controlled Osprey on keypress. I was thinking it can be either controlled by a second player, or the first player ("driver") switching over to control the Osprey or let the AI fly it (chosen by the player which method to use for maximum player-decision support)

3. No idea how we'll do this yet.

4. Yes, someone already posted the model we have.

5. The Chrono Miner is already teleporting back to the Refinery. Chrono-infantry will come in a later release.

6. If you get in the IFV it starts with the standard rocket turret. Then if you press Q, depending on the infantry you entered with, it will switch to a different turret like in RA2. You can switch back to rocket too. See video for yourself.

7. Kirovs will be in, the Soviet War Factory was modelled big enough with Kirovs in mind so they can fit through the roof.

8. Engineers stealing tech? Probably not. TBD. We might find a different usage for them. Right now they can disable buildings, repair bridges and capture tech structures.

9. Yep. Your country is chosen randomly by the game at mapstart. Map-makers can choose which countries are allowed or their map.

10. Only 4 as there are 4 pads. This is how it works currently.

11. The Spy in the Refinery should work similar to the APB thief. For stealing tech/battle lab units we might require him to bring the stolen data back to your own base though. A mini-game in the game :) (if cash stealing seems too easy, we might force him to walk back with the money to your base too)

12. They are cute up close when friendly, but when you see an enemy one running towards you, you'll sh*t your pants.

1. Will paratroopers be implemented?

2. Will the grand cannon be implemented?

3. Can paratroopers be dropped on buildings to immediately garrison them?

1. Paratroopers are partially in already. On Fort Bradley for example, soviet players spawn as paratroopers dropping down on New York. Detto for soviet bots.

2. Yes.

3. We don't even know if garrisoning will be a thing at this point.

Would it be too much work to hollow out the buildings and have infantry use the windows to fire out of them?

It would be useless for infantry to physically walk into a building and shoot out the windows. Tests proved that this version makes the people in the building die faster. It's also too slow for them to really walk in the building and yes I consider modeling the civilian buiding internals a waste of time compared to how much we gain with it.

If we ever make garrisoning a thing, we will let people control a "turret" in different windows of the building, letting the players quickly switch to another side of the building on button press.

You mean let the engineer capture stuff the same way as in the RTS games? That sounds pretty broken if you can just start pumping our vehicles in the middle of the enemy base. Not to mention, what happens if I use an engineer to take over your barracks? You now have no barracks and cannot train any engineers to take it back...

Are we talking player-controlled paratroopers? As in, a bunch of you go into the Air Force Command, press some panel to summon the plane, get magically teleported into the plane, and then someone flies it or it flies itself to the destination? Kinda like a supply truck rush, but with an airplane?

Engineers will not capture enemy structures.

America's version of paradropping is not implemented yet in the way you mention it, but it will be somewhat like that, yes.

thanks

Nice to know a lot of things will be implemented.

For building garrisons why not treat the building as an immobile vehicle that anyone can enter? Except for Yuri's infantry units it seems that the building shoots some sort of heavy machine gun in RA2. Seeing as the building is static and fits some people (depending on size and type in RA2) so it should have something like the missile sub in RA APB which basically has an immobile turret. The main thing is that the building has 360 degree fire but the fire effect comes from the building itself rather than a specific turret. The more infantry you garrison in the building the more damage it does so im not sure how you will implement this whether 10 troops in 1 building can all fire seperately or 1 person shooting and the more infantry the stronger the attack. Since buildings being buildings shouldnt be repaired by construction yard or repair vehicle, an engineer should be able to repair a building.

I forgot to ask how will the prism system work? Will there be multiple prism towers helping each other and will the prism tank's dispersion be random or specific (such as unit homing or in some specific shape and direction).

I hope you will implement units from Yuri's revenge as well such as the large allied tank that can run over other tanks, heavy infantry, siege choppers, the flying saucer and yuri's stuff. would be interesting to break away from the standard 1 v 1 team to a 3 faction free for all. Yuri's magnet tank would be so much easier to use in FPS since you could control where you want to move vehicles (so it can be used on both allies to get tanks over obstacles and enemies).

For paratroopers, how about having AI paratroopers that just hang around the area/garrison the nearest building? Might be easy to implement if using binoculars to call them in. It would be nice if the plane that delivered the paratroopers could also be shot down like in RA2.

As for neutral buildings it would be nice to see them implemented. I do remember some RA2 missions that had a radar station you could garrison with lots of troops though, not sure if it was also functional. Since the allies have no advanced power plant in some maps they could have 2 or 3 if the soviets get the nuclear power plant. Would be interesting if the nuclear power plant spread radiation and damage when destroyed.

If a spy goes into the power plant does it mean temporary power down or is it not implemented?

This I can answer. The spy is currently not added to the game. Though I'm certain it will be at some point.

thanks

Nice to know a lot of things will be implemented.

For building garrisons why not treat the building as an immobile vehicle that anyone can enter? Except for Yuri's infantry units it seems that the building shoots some sort of heavy machine gun in RA2. Seeing as the building is static and fits some people (depending on size and type in RA2) so it should have something like the missile sub in RA APB which basically has an immobile turret. The main thing is that the building has 360 degree fire but the fire effect comes from the building itself rather than a specific turret. The more infantry you garrison in the building the more damage it does so im not sure how you will implement this whether 10 troops in 1 building can all fire seperately or 1 person shooting and the more infantry the stronger the attack. Since buildings being buildings shouldnt be repaired by construction yard or repair vehicle, an engineer should be able to repair a building.

Garrisonable buildings will not feature in AR because the whole idea of garrisoning structures is too clunky and RTS-like to work in an FPS properly. The closest you'll get is buildings that you can go inside and shoot out of the windows. All infantry will be able to enter these buildings. The buildings will be props and won't be destructible or even have health bars.

I forgot to ask how will the prism system work? Will there be multiple prism towers helping each other and will the prism tank's dispersion be random or specific (such as unit homing or in some specific shape and direction).

Both will work as they did in RA2. The Prism Tank hasn't been implemented yet, but we have a few ideas on how to get it's splash effect in..

I hope you will implement units from Yuri's revenge as well such as the large allied tank that can run over other tanks, heavy infantry, siege choppers, the flying saucer and yuri's stuff. would be interesting to break away from the standard 1 v 1 team to a 3 faction free for all. Yuri's magnet tank would be so much easier to use in FPS since you could control where you want to move vehicles (so it can be used on both allies to get tanks over obstacles and enemies).

We're only doing Allies vs Soviets. Yuri's army is too much work and Renegade's engine doesn't support 3 fully fledged teams fighting on the same map. The Allied and Soviet units from Yuri's Revenge (such as the Battle Fortress and Siege Chopper) will be included.

For paratroopers, how about having AI paratroopers that just hang around the area/garrison the nearest building? Might be easy to implement if using binoculars to call them in. It would be nice if the plane that delivered the paratroopers could also be shot down like in RA2.

Garrisoning isn't happening, but paradrops are. Whether they will be player or AI controlled is a decision to be made.

As for neutral buildings it would be nice to see them implemented. I do remember some RA2 missions that had a radar station you could garrison with lots of troops though, not sure if it was also functional. Since the allies have no advanced power plant in some maps they could have 2 or 3 if the soviets get the nuclear power plant. Would be interesting if the nuclear power plant spread radiation and damage when destroyed.

Some tech buildings like the oil Derrick and Outpost are already in the game. :)

Allies don't need more than one power plant unless there is a specific objective map that requires it. The gameplay just doesn't work that way. We have to cut features that were in RA2 because AR is a shooter. If we were to implement everything from RA2 then we may as well be playing RA2. :p

dont forget the tesla trooper with its corny rubber shoes and the ability to charge a tesla coil so it has more range and damage and can operate during a power down. Will 5 tesla troopers be needed or would you reduce the number down?

But this is a shooter version of RA2, the more that is implemented and becomes like RA2 the better. Not only would it be graphically better and more detailed but im hoping some of the tactics used in RA2 would also be applicable in the shooter as well. Im pretty sure every player at some point would've liked to explore the game in 3D.

dont forget the tesla trooper with its corny rubber shoes and the ability to charge a tesla coil so it has more range and damage and can operate during a power down. Will 5 tesla troopers be needed or would you reduce the number down?

We didn't forget. They already supercharge and even power up a low-power coil.

cool. Does it only take 1 to supercharge them or do you need more? If 3 players supercharged the tesla coil would it do more damage than 1 player charging it? Are you also saying that 1 player is enough to keep a tesla coil running when there is no power? I hope you give them big rubber shoes :p.

• 3 weeks later...

cool. Does it only take 1 to supercharge them or do you need more? If 3 players supercharged the tesla coil would it do more damage than 1 player charging it? Are you also saying that 1 player is enough to keep a tesla coil running when there is no power? I hope you give them big rubber shoes :p.

You only need one Tesla Trooper to supercharge a coil. You currently need two if you want to power an un-powered coil.

Will Skatey Perry be in the game as an Easter egg?

Maybe. :p

• 1 year later...

I must say Apocalypse Rising is my favorite of the series due to the uniqueness of the units.

I still love using flak troopers to hit infantry behind cover... it's like a mini artillery soldier.

And yes the IFV's are great.

When will it go public? I still have the old tester version... which I don't talk much of, of course. But when will a new public one be available? Or do we have an ETA yet?

Soon

The AR project has not been going as quickly in some areas lately due to us trying to push out the new TSR public version. As soon as that happens, then development will start going a little quicker. As of yet though, still no release date. We aren't so good with nailed-down dates we've figured out :v

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Soon

The AR project has not been going as quickly in some areas lately due to us trying to push out the new TSR public version. As soon as that happens, then development will start going a little quicker. As of yet though, still no release date. We aren't so good with nailed-down dates we've figured out :v

IIRC, one of the ancient podcasts from early 2008 put the ''planned'' release date around ''October 2008''. :v

As it stands, even TSR wasn't released that much overdue compared to AR.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Soon

Isn't that the truth haha. I was out of the loop though, so figured it was worth asking. :dance:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why isn't AR open-source? Unless you guys plan on selling the released version, I don't see any reason to keep it closed-source. I'm a programmer, and although I'd like to join the team, don't have the willpower to continue long-term. But skimming over the code is a thing I'd lovingly do.

Thats a complicated subject. It isn't completely ours to decide what to do with. While I suppose we could publish some bits of it (only the parts that our staff or the TT guys have written themselves), the engine itself is copyrighted by EA. They would totally spank us if we got into posting code for some of their IP, even if it isn't theirs. Its a sticky subject to say the least. Now why they care about nearly 15-year old engine code? I have no idea...

In short, its just not something we can easily do unfortunately.