Submit an APB Map Request!

Raap

Update:

Alright guys, thanks for your requests. I have made the decision to create a new Fjord entirely from scratch, and without using Blackwolf's design.

The new Fjord will be heavy on the industrial theme, feature a dam (well, duh), a bunch of ice, oh and some water. And bases, yeah. Bases.

Look for updates on development progress on this map in the near future!

-----------------

Hello everyone!

A while back I finished the Hostile Waters remake, and I said I'd try and find time for another contribution to APB in April. So April is now here, and I got some time! I have spoken with Pushwall about what my contribution should be this month. After briefly checking our options we decided that it was probably a good idea to simply ask you, the players, what map you would like to see return or introduced to A Path Beyond: Delta.

There aren't really any limitations to requests.

You liked a map from the .9935 era but the original developer is no longer around to remake it for APB Delta? Let me know!

You liked an official map from past APB versions that is currently missing from the official map roster? Let me know!

You got a new idea entirely, one that you think works in APB and isn't a mod-request? Let me know!

In the event no clear fan favorite exists, I reserve the right to pick something that I personally like and believe can be done. It must also be said that if a popular request for an old fan map exists, then I can only work on a remake for it if the original creator is no longer around to do it.

I will see which request is the most popular at latest by Sunday, April 3rd. So place your requests here as soon as possible!

Eins-Edit: Hey guys, here's a link to an archive I've been building. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzcnim4baG7fU2VnOVc2RV9IWTg You can check out the different maps that have existed over time and see which ones you like!

Push-Edit: And here's a link to an archive of Red Alert 1 map screenshots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/97634864@N04/albums For anyone who wants to recreate RA1 maps it's a handy reference. I don't know who actually maintains that album but he's a p cool guy I guess!

Edited by Pushwall
added link

I want to see RA_Siege.

Quite a logistical undertaking that would be, but if the request is there, sure thing.

Edit: Wut is Siege? Dis is Siege, aka the map that never got finished because it got stuck in re-iteration hell;

f66Wb01.png

Edited by Raap

I'd really like to see an urban map or two, or a map with a town in the middle and some sort of objective(s). In fact, I've been planning on starting one myself and have been making some props for just that purpose. If anyone is interested in collaborating on this, I'm all ears.

Oh, and Camos Crossing! So small and simple, but I love that map. :D

Edited by Ice

Why not a map with a town in the middle that exports oil? If you add in some taller buildings it could make for some interesting urban gameplay which I personally haven't seen yet.

I'd really like to see an urban map or two, or a map with a town in the middle and some sort of objective(s). In fact, I've been planning on starting one myself and have been making some props for just that purpose. If anyone is interested in collaborating on this, I'm all ears.

Oh, and Camos Crossing! So small and simple, but I love that map. :D

Urban maps are extremely development time intensive due to the huge number of prop-style artwork required. It's certainly possible to do something urban, but you'd have to look at it as more of a large village setting and not a city.

Camos Crossing was extremely small. I'm not sure if I got a lot of playing room to improve the gameplay for it. I'd have to remake it and enlarge it a lot, at which point it'd not be Camos Crossing any longer, but something else entirely.

I'm not a believer of infantry only maps, and will avoid making more of those. That doesn't mean I can't take an infantry only map and add vehicle gameplay, though.

Edit: Regarding Fjord; I would need to talk to Generalcamo first since he mentioned this map in the past. I was actually going to do a Fjord remake before beginning work on Hostile Waters.

Edited by Raap

Urban maps are extremely development time intensive due to the huge number of prop-style artwork required. It's certainly possible to do something urban, but you'd have to look at it as more of a large village setting and not a city.

That was the other idea I'd like to do; A village with an objective would be good too, as long as it actually looks like a village and not '3 houses and a church' :v

But in terms of truly urban city maps, it wouldn't need to be too big. I envisioned it as more of a spiritual successor to Metro.

One of the reasons I'm doing my urban prop pack is to ease the workload of anyone who'd like to develop an urban map for APB.

Edited by Ice

That was the other idea I'd like to do; A village with an objective would be good too, as long as it actually looks like a village and not '3 houses and a church' :v

IF I did a village themed map, I would have to make all village assets from scratch. No small task, given the expectations these days.

I hope to deliver a map to Pushwall by April 30th, so a project that will take me two months is unrealistic. :)

Anyhow, Fjord is currently the most popular request. Keep em coming.

Edited by Raap

IF I did a village themed map, I would have to make all village assets from scratch. No small task, given the expectations these days.

If you do decide to do a village map, give me a shout. I can help with that.

If you do decide to do a village map, give me a shout. I can help with that.

Thanks for the help offer. What I end up making is completely up to what most people want. :)

And guys, be sure to check out Einstein's database of old maps, maybe some are worth remaking for Delta!

Edited by Raap

Metro was fun.

Yea renegade, TSR, or APB had little investment in Urban or CQC environments.

I mean it's like the war never entered a city, but forever to be fought in open countryside.

BTW my last post had a typo.

My favorite was volcano not hourglass.

Gamma ruined Volcano because the supply trucks where so fast no one could get to any threat in the base fast enough. Meaning the winner was often determined By the first 3-5minutes.

Now with sprint it should be balanced.

@Raap the map could be a thick forest on the sides map. The this making the map infantry friendly. As for vehicles maybe making only vehicle route through a village. (And thus a massive village. Like what are found in Europe. It makes sense since the game takes place in Europe.)

As for the buildings (you can rotate, change color, and reuse)?

Edited by Raptor29aa

A few I have in mind;

1.) Fjord/Classic_Fjord, I recall some guy was remaking it but they've disappeared.

2.) Metro, loved that map.

3.) Camos_Crossing

4.) ToTheCore.

5.) Ivory_Wastelands, maybe. Perhaps make it a tad smaller or remove the Missile Silo, it was almost impossible to disarm flares.

Also, any chance of Antlion returning, what was wrong with it in the first place? Thought that was an all right map. Same with Luna, that was fun too. Makes a nice break from constant AoW.

Fjord. Although of course with some modifications for modern APB. More than two attack routes, and some sort of infantry routes would be pretty necessary imo.

Metro would also be cool but is probably way outside what you're able to get done in a month's time soo

I'll dig through einstein's archive to see if anything else springs up as interesting

ShallowGrave or Ivory_Wastelands :wub:

If I had to do another naval map, I confess to preferring to use HW's naval buildings due to having a more balanced design. Which means that a single Advanced Naval Yard would likely fill up the entire pond in Shallow Grave. :v

Ivory Wastelands is basically NorthByNorthwest, both of those maps are as similar as Bonsai is to Zama. Nonetheless, if the request is there, I can do anything.

So far Fjord and some sort of urban setting map are the most requested.

What if I said, that I could make a Fjord with an industrial area within the level? Industrial interiors and workplaces play exactly the same as an urban setting.

Edit: 5 minute draft design

Edited by Raap

I guess that's the most reasonable course of action for you; since most people want Fjord and APB lacks in urban settings, then why not expand on the Fjord idea and reimagine it into a new map with a new name and quite ideally with a central strategic location which has an assortment of close by houses or some sort of structures like that. We really could use some sort of town setting where people could run into and around buldings, flank tanks at a crossroads and things like that. I know we have at least a few house and barn models in APB and I doubt anyone would mind if multiples of the same structure were included provided the environment was mixed with misc objects and at least made to look a bit different. Multiple infantry movement paths within a village would add a great new spin on gameplay since we could effectively guerilla-style enemy tanks if you were to make a funneling path through the village as something like a lone road leading from the two bases. Sounds like a good concept to please everyone!

Oh and more dense forrest areas would be a great addition to the village concept if you're going that route. Not too much but just a pinch of a more infantry friendly forest area would be great so vehicles can't run us over that easily. Just a thought for say a side path where vehicle movement could be limited.

EDIT: Some vertical combat options from a ladder added to the lighthouse model or something higher beside the village would be great too for snipers and such! (depends on how you want to make the setting)

Edited by AZ-Stalker

What if I said, that I could make a Fjord with an industrial area within the level? Industrial interiors and workplaces play exactly the same as an urban setting.

I like that idea. Although it could use a third attack route. Maybe a low pedestrian bridge below the two bases?

EDIT: By "below" I mean to the left of them.

Edited by SarahNautili

I like that idea. Although it could use a third attack route. Maybe a low pedestrian bridge below the two bases?

EDIT: By "below" I mean to the left of them.

I have a range of options available, but yes, more attack routes than in the draft would be needed. I didn't add any, since I haven't decided on what it will be just yet.

There is also the matter of this other Fjord version floating around somewhere. That needs to be cleared up before I can begin on this level.

Looks like I'm a little late but here is what I'd love to see come to delta

1. RA_Ivory_Wastelands.mix (base layouts heavily modified, no cliffs.)
2. RA_NorthByNorthwest.mix (probably my favorite apb map, honestly feel like it could just be ported as is though.)

3. RA_Alpine_Lake.mix (needs a lot of work but it's very nostalgic for me.)
4. RA_ShallowGrave.mix (expanded lake? River with a bridge coming over one side of the map?)
5. RA_Volcano.mix ( I don't know why but I've always liked this map even if the volcano is just a lol hill.)

Can you remake that map that has that one thing, and that one building, and that one tree, and that one track. That's the one.

I'm excited for any map to be remade or introduced and as such I'll likely not submit a map request at the time. Tiebreaker vote maybe.